Last Round - First Impressions

Female Tengu

This is part of the challenge in the current context. As long as there is clear communication, it helps soften the blow. I know TN is working to fix the issues, so I wouldn't be too concerned about most, a little patience should take care of the stick issue.
--

Re: topic as a whole.

The foundation of the issue is that there are so many entitled people on the internet that they want EVERYTHING... RIGHT NOW. As a consumer, it's fair to expect a product to work as advertised, but as a human being it's NOT fair for someone to act like a whiny child when demands are not met. If people want technology to bring the most complex & realistic visuals, they have to accept the complexities and costs that go into development.

From working in a related field, I know that no matter how well you test, no matter how great your quality control is, NO technology is invincible these days. Required logic is only becoming more complex, and the number of qualified people capable of resolving these challenges does not always strike me to be on the rise in order to match. Although quality control may have caught some of these issues, Team Ninja would not necessarily be able to catch everything beyond their control... networking, 3rd party interaction like DLC stores, etc.

There is no way Team Ninja is just sitting pack doing nothing about this. If there are problematic issues, they are addressing them, but they will take time no matter what the case is. The best thing for DOA's sake is for community members to help fight against the keyboard champions of the world who don't do anything but complain and suggest patience since we know Team Ninja is working on things.

I disagree with some points. Just because some people here don't have problems with their game or don't own a specific glitch-infested version (EU), doesn't mean that no one should complain about these problems.

More things I would like to mention are that this game is a straight port with nearly no graphically improvements. So there was more than enough time to test and free the game especially from bugs which shouldn't be there cauz they had been fixed in the past. And if you can't see that then sorry.

How someone could defend this is beyond me.
I'm sure that we all know that a game is not perfect at release.
But I'm tired of developers releasing games out which clealry haven't been tested. Same with BF4...Driveclub....Halo MCC...ACU...and countless other relatively young releases for this gen now. Oh these don't count cauz the didn't affected you? No, no, no. The facts are there. And that's not enough? Does it need more examples to open the eyes of publishers/devs or fans...

These people get our hard earned money in exchange. And the least I wanna see is a game deleting your save, literally wasting your investment and time, or perma crashing back to the dashboard, even in obvious situations like playing a specific game mode.
What the hell is going on these days? Why defending it? What's wrong with game publishers and devs? Why defending lazyness or such huge flaws as if they don't exist?

When you buy a new car you expect it to work(!) and to reach your goal in one piece. Why are we not allowed to expect the same from a game? I could live with minor bugs as long as the are not interrupting your actual gaming experience. But DOA5LR right now is the complete opposite.

Pressure of publishers, deadlines....yeah, I know what it means to make a game, we all know the stories. Still, that's no excuse to deliver a technically flawed game on such(!) a level. If I would do the same in my company, dear lord, I would have lost my job long ago.

You know, it's getting old.

People are shitting on TN on. Some are really rude. I wouldn't support this manner but I can see where the anger is coming from and it's TNs own fault. That's all.
btw, friends over at TN or not. Well, as for me, and because I don't know them, how is that important to me or to the thousands of currently disappointed customers...

Last edited:

The Enforcer

I disagree with some points. Just because some people here don't have problems with their game or don't own a specific glitch-infested version (EU), doesn't mean that no one should complain about these problems.

More things I would like to mention are that this game is a straight port with nearly no graphically improvements. So there was more than enough time to test and free the game especially from bugs which shouldn't be there cauz they had been fixed in the past. And if you can't see that then sorry.

How someone could defend this is beyond me.
I'm sure that we all know that a game is not perfect at release.
But I'm tired of developers releasing games out which clealry haven't been tested. Same with BF4...Driveclub....Halo MCC...ACU...and countless other relatively young releases for this gen now. Oh these don't count cauz the didn't affected you? No, no, no. The facts are there. And that's not enough? Does it need more examples to open the eyes of publishers/devs or fans...

These people get our hard earned money in exchange. And the least I wanna see is a game deleting your save, literally wasting your investment and time, or perma crashing back to the dashboard, even in obvious situations like playing a specific game mode.
What the hell is going on these days? Why defending it? What's wrong with game publishers and devs? Why defending lazyness or such huge flaws as if they don't exist?

When you buy a new car you expect it to work(!) and to reach your goal in one piece. Why are we not allowed to expect the same from a game? I could live with minor bugs as long as the are not interrupting your actual gaming experience. But DOA5LR right now is the complete opposite.

Pressure of publishers, deadlines....yeah, I know what it means to make a game, we all know the stories. Still, that's no excuse to deliver a technically flawed game on such(!) a level. If I would do the same in my company, dear lord, I would have lost my job long ago.

You know, it's getting old.

People are shitting on TN on. Some are really rude. I wouldn't support this manner but I can see where the anger is coming from and it's TNs own fault. That's all.
btw, friends over at TN or not. Well, as for me, and because I don't know them, how is that important to me or to the thousands of currently disappointed customers...

You are of course free to disagree just as much as you are to be misinformed.

Not all of your assertions are factual. By stating that the game is only a port, you are assuming that it should automatically work. That's like saying I bought a 2014 car last year, therefore my 2015 should work exactly the same. There are so many factors that go into these transitions that the consumer base never sees.

I in no way excuse a company for releasing an incomplete product, my argument is that if people want results they need to stop acting childish while waiting for the problem to be fixed. That will in turn only slow down the resolution process if people spam Team Ninja with duplicate complaints they are likely already aware of.

Also, a harsh reality is that this phenomena is not exclusive to games. It doesn't matter if its jeans, cars or toasters. Any product can be released below what was advertised. If a company has integrity they will fix it. This problem has become more evident though with gaming because the resources needed to solve complex problems is increasing. Meanwhile, some petty consumers think they are experts and the problem can be solved at the snap of the fingers, and then will not shut up until it is.

Here are the scenarios, I'm attempting to paint in contrast.

A) Disgruntled costumer, product incomplete. States problem, files a grievance, waits, no response, checks again on problem.

B) Disgruntled costumer, product incomplete, goes to internet, complains, does nothing to address situation with proper channels, complains more. Problem not yet fixed. Complain louder.

Option B, solves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Fact.

Additionally you contradict yourself. You say you won't support rudeness, yet you say it's Team Ninja's fault. Incorrect, everyone is responsible for how they act regardless of how they're treated. The entitlement rage is permeating far too much of the culture regardless of whether they are right or not.

Last point, I've had numerous games glitch out on me wiping out hours or weeks or progress. It's always a potential reality of digital data. There is no safeguards to prevent this, period. Games are recreation, not an investment. Is it frustrating, yep, but that still does not change the risks involved with a person's own choice to sink hours of time into a product.

Argentus

This is part of the challenge in the current context. As long as there is clear communication, it helps soften the blow. I know TN is working to fix the issues, so I wouldn't be too concerned about most, a little patience should take care of the stick issue.
--

Re: topic as a whole.

The foundation of the issue is that there are so many entitled people on the internet that they want EVERYTHING... RIGHT NOW. As a consumer, it's fair to expect a product to work as advertised, but as a human being it's NOT fair for someone to act like a whiny child when demands are not met. If people want technology to bring the most complex & realistic visuals, they have to accept the complexities and costs that go into development.

From working in a related field, I know that no matter how well you test, no matter how great your quality control is, NO technology is invincible these days. Required logic is only becoming more complex, and the number of qualified people capable of resolving these challenges does not always strike me to be on the rise in order to match. Although quality control may have caught some of these issues, Team Ninja would not necessarily be able to catch everything beyond their control... networking, 3rd party interaction like DLC stores, etc.

There is no way Team Ninja is just sitting pack doing nothing about this. If there are problematic issues, they are addressing them, but they will take time no matter what the case is. The best thing for DOA's sake is for community members to help fight against the keyboard champions of the world who don't do anything but complain and suggest patience since we know Team Ninja is working on things.
Its kinda hard to agree when we used to get things immediately, but nowadays they release products totally unfinished or untested, and just patch/dlc later. Its not just tn. But I don't even feel bad about almost never buying games new anymore. I almost always get em second hand for a third of the price. I used to rage at pirates but now? Devs don't wanna sell me a full product, I'm not paying for a full product. They wanna sell partial? I'll pay partial. That's why I liked just paying for the two characters I use in 5u. And why I regret getting u on sale in preparation for lr, since now I know the contest costumes were free, so I wouldn't have had to pay for ANYTHING for lr....

That said, people shouldn't be straight up harassing tn either.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Last Round was playing fine online before the first patch which MS let pass cert. I can't speak to the training bug but the patch sorted out a ton of stuff before everyone got the game. The issue appears to have only begun once everyone picked up their copies. While that does make it look like it had issues right out of the gate, quite a few people had the game early through various means and the game worked fine. The patch, upon initial rollout, actually drastically improved the game. Whatever happened after it that caused the freezing seems to be related to either more users or being tied in to XBL or PSN-specific systems.

Female Tengu

You are of course free to disagree just as much as you are to be misinformed.

Not all of your assertions are factual. By stating that the game is only a port, you are assuming that it should automatically work. That's like saying I bought a 2014 car last year, therefore my 2015 should work exactly the same. There are so many factors that go into these transitions that the consumer base never sees.

I in no way excuse a company for releasing an incomplete product, my argument is that if people want results they need to stop acting childish while waiting for the problem to be fixed. That will in turn only slow down the resolution process if people spam Team Ninja with duplicate complaints they are likely already aware of.

Also, a harsh reality is that this phenomena is not exclusive to games. It doesn't matter if its jeans, cars or toasters. Any product can be released below what was advertised. If a company has integrity they will fix it. This problem has become more evident though with gaming because the resources needed to solve complex problems is increasing. Meanwhile, some petty consumers think they are experts and the problem can be solved at the snap of the fingers, and then will not shut up until it is.

Here are the scenarios, I'm attempting to paint in contrast.

A) Disgruntled costumer, product incomplete. States problem, files a grievance, waits, no response, checks again on problem.

B) Disgruntled costumer, product incomplete, goes to internet, complains, does nothing to address situation with proper channels, complains more. Problem not yet fixed. Complain louder.

Option B, solves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Fact.

Additionally you contradict yourself. You say you won't support rudeness, yet you say it's Team Ninja's fault. Incorrect, everyone is responsible for how they act regardless of how they're treated. The entitlement rage is permeating far too much of the culture regardless of whether they are right or not.

Last point, I've had numerous games glitch out on me wiping out hours or weeks or progress. It's always a potential reality of digital data. There is no safeguards to prevent this, period. Games are recreation, not an investment. Is it frustrating, yep, but that still does not change the risks involved with a person's own choice to sink hours of time into a product.

I'm not assuming that it should automatically work. But my point is that port is no where in the world more time and ressource consuming than making a new game, that's what I know for sure. Porting games is a complicated manner, yet obvious flaws shouldn't exist then, especially when these flaws where already present before(!). How is that not logic? Avoiding technical problems with the knowledge you gained in the past....with the pretty much same game which is especially funny, lol.

No one here is acting childish (except for the FB people insulting the staff). It's just frustrating to see.

When I say it's "TNs fault if people start a shitstorm on their twitter account", then sorry, it's pretty much their own fault. Sure it would be great if we could all live in a happy fine world, unfortunately that's not the case, especially not when everyone types messages behind a screen. TN is just as part of that story as the childish gamers.
With bugs and glitches less critical everything would look different and most people would be happy I guess. Releasing the game in that state was huge mistake and yet they did it. The gaming community is a very critical community. Always was and always will be.
Gamers are not gamers anymore, they are BETA testers. The last gen already clearly showed that and this gen now is especially sad. Actually the devs should pay us for mass-testing their products. So, I can fully understand that some people are pissed and angry! Why? Because I'm a human and it's natural for us to feel "betrayed".

You know, when DOA5U was released I was one of the few who tolerated these bugs. Maybe you can understand that I have seen many games by now (I also own) which suffered from the same fate.
I already said that I can live with glitches. I can't expect a flawless product. But I can expect a product which is free from old flaws because, and I will say that again, DOA5LR is NOT a brand new game. It's actually ironic. I expected everything but that...

They got my money (and not just a part of it or so) so I want a product which at least works as it should be. That's how business works. That's a simple goal every producer can achieve. Making the game work on a technical side. That's a promise the developer HAS to fullfill, or the consumer sooner or later will get his money back. That's not what you want as a publisher. I shouldn't tell you that. That's not what I would call "whiny" or "entitled". It's your right, simple as that.

Everything else, if the product works or only has some minor flaws, even a customer base can look over, can be fixed or even improved (feature feedback/changes etc).

I can see your points because 3 years ago I would have reacted in the same way. But it I'm close to a point when I simply won't accept that anymore. I always kept my games, no matter how bugged they were on release, because I believed in the programmers. "Ok, next time, just do it better". Nope, it only got worse and this seriously annoys me and maybe some day you will understand my reaction.

Last edited:

The Enforcer

I don't really have much to add to that. As long as people are objective and understand real world time tables, that's all that can be done while waiting. People want fair treatment on either side. I was not even targeting any one person with my original post, but as you said FB content & other is not the ideal way to get the point across.

It's not the cause to seek that fair treatment that is the issue, as I can attest with my recent Amazon situation. It's how it's handled that many miss the boat on. That's all. :)

Star Outlaw

First impression of playing on PS4 after a while; I'm still only on a 720p screen, but I can tell there are more particle affects now. The graphics have improved, but in mostly subtle ways. I actually noticed fog.
Gameplay wise things feel mostly the same though. It doesn't feel like the online has improved at all, and I'm getting annoyed by this glitch that keeps happening to me where it gets stuck in the matchmaking screen. It just keeps searching for opponent and finds no one, and when I try to make out it just gets stuck. I can just close and reopen the game, but it's irritating.
I'm a big fan of the new DOA1 music, and I feel like it's really enhancing my experience. There isn't a single match without something groovy playing along with it.

Leifang2000

I got the new Hori stick for PS3/4.
The new Hori DOA5LR stick is slightly smaller, lighter than the previous one.
There is a little switch on the right hand side labeled as 3,4. Switch it to 3 for PS3, 4 for PS4.
If you happen to forget switching, some buttons will not work correctly.
For example, while connecting to a PS3, with switch 4, the face buttons all work but the playstation button does not.
Switch it back to 3 and they all work fine.

The bottom of the stick part is most likely a square one, where you can feel all the diagonal input.
Compartment for the cables are bigger, and the cable comes out on the left hand side instead of the center side from the DOA5 version.
The extra L3, R3 sticks are good for moving the camera left and right, but you still cannot turn the picture sideways with R2.

Last edited:

Akumasama

First impressions:

I like it! Faster menus :D
Did they remove the "special missions" from story mode? Couldn't find em anywhere.

Also I find it quite bizarre how despite all these years have passed I still can't manage to do Hayate's Raijin in Training Command mode.
I dunno what's wrong with me... spent over 1 hour yesterday and no luck.
Could do it just fine on Xbox360, my fingers must have deteriorated or something...

Kronin

First impressions:

I like it! Faster menus :D
Did they remove the "special missions" from story mode? Couldn't find em anywhere.

Not only the menu, the same movements in game seem to be faster and responsive.
The special missions from the Story mode are removed since DoA5U.

Also I find it quite bizarre how despite all these years have passed I still can't manage to do Hayate's Raijin in Training Command mode.
I dunno what's wrong with me... spent over 1 hour yesterday and no luck.
Could do it just fine on Xbox360, my fingers must have deteriorated or something...

Not sure if you used it or less, but in DoA4 there was an "easy" trick for performing it: you were able to use both the fingers for performing the imput strings because both the analog stick could be used. In DoA5 you have to do everything through the left one and so, not having the possibility to divide the work between both your hands, this is enough to make it more difficult.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD