Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestizo

Standard Donor
I think overall what with it being 2018 the women need to be more serious. There also needs to be clear and obvious positivity to marginalized groups such as Muslims and POC. Body positivity is also important and we need to admit DOA is actively body shaming and putting off women. I think the best way to cover all of those bases would be to put all of the women in the game in burkas. That way we can avoid the misogynistic male gaze treatment of the women, we can show we all stand with our Muslim allies, and since the women are fully covered and desexualized the game as a whole will be taken much more seriously by the FGC and evo. It would also greatly benefit people of color as well since if they add the face veil or one way screen cloth/lace on the burkas then the characters can be any race we interpret them to be. Not only that but since you wont be seeing their mouths move it would be easy to add heteronormatively male voices on het norm female bodies. That would really be inclusive for nonbinary
individuals.

DOA6 is already doing a good job removing male gaze, desexualizing the women cast members, and being inclusive by adding Hispanic representation. But I think the game can do much better and that burkas would be the most progressive move the game could make, which of course would help the game be taken more seriously in the FGC.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

...So anyway...

We're getting closer and closer to the festival. :) From what I've seen of the schedule it's the cosplay and photo contests first. Then it moves onto doaxvv, doa6 and then doa5lr in that order. I'm really expecting and excited to see the new female character at the festival, It would make perfect sense to reveal her there. Also obviously I'm really hoping that Lisa will be revealed too, That would be amazing to finally have her revealed and we could see her in the game.

I really have no clue what they could be revealing or showing for Venus Vacation though? Maybe a new character but I'm not sure.
I think they might reveal two or three girls in the venus vacation reveal. Tina (my guess from the list, but I saw somewhere saying it was Mila and Rachel next?) and another new girl

They better reveal my girl Lisa for DOA6 this fes-
"b-but moostard, *generic lisa joke*!"
shhh shhh

I think overall what with it being 2018 the women need to be more serious. There also needs to be clear and obvious positivity to marginalized groups such as Muslims and POC. Body positivity is also important and we need to admit DOA is actively body shaming and putting off women. I think the best way to cover all of those bases would be to put all of the women in the game in burkas. That way we can avoid the misogynistic male gaze treatment of the women, we can show we all stand with our Muslim allies, and since the women are fully covered and desexualized the game as a whole will be taken much more seriously by the FGC and evo. It would also greatly benefit people of color as well since if they add the face veil or one way screen cloth/lace on the burkas then the characters can be any race we interpret them to be. Not only that but since you wont be seeing their mouths move it would be easy to add heteronormatively male voices on het norm female bodies. That would really be inclusive for nonbinary
individuals.

DOA6 is already doing a good job removing male gaze, desexualizing the women cast members, and being inclusive by adding Hispanic representation. But I think the game can do much better and that burkas would be the most progressive move the game could make, which of course would help the game be taken more seriously in the FGC.
If we want to show an oppressed minority, we need an ebic gamer character. #GamersRiseUp

Like I say before the damage control here is lovely, echo chambers are always this funny.

At least some honest people admit the boobs reduction and just move on, but a lot of people negate that fact and antagonize people for tell them that fact.

Funny thing is that a lot of people here probably defended DOA and were antagonized in the past.

Yeah the lack of sex appeal annoy me a lot and is probably the reason of why I probably would not buy any dlc for any girl.
I feel like you have to make a lot of mental gimnastic to say than the current character model have the same sex apeal than the models of DOA 5.

Wonder why this forum in particular is so happy so ok with the reduction of fanservice.
Anyway I really hate this, we werr in the past a decent fanbase and we all loved DOA, with his good things and his bad things, now we have half of the fanbase fighting each other.
We should be happy than DOA 6 is a reality, but thanks to an PR disaster and a director who aparently think than less sexy women and smaller boobs make a game more serius and human, we have two half of the same fanbase insulting each other.

Last edited:
Oh, but we all want that cherry so badly x'D
To bad, cherries are bad and you should feel bad for like cherries, now eat your cake.

1542468392923-min.jpg

Last edited:

Sotherius

To bad, cherries are bad and you should feel bad for like cherries, now eat your cake.

View attachment 26418

She still has the same measurements as DOA 5. DOA x3 increased everyone's breast size.

Also, since you posted so many screenshots (and you got half of them wrong btw), why are you not complaining about the reduction between doa 3 and doa 2u? Or the reduction between DOA 2 vanilla and doa 3? And the reason is, you're not a doa fan, you don't care about the series, its characters or its gameplay, only care about boobs.

zoo

Like I say before the damage control here is lovely, echo chambers are always this funny.

At least some honest people admit the boobs reduction and just move on, but a lot of people negate that fact and antagonize people for tell them that fact.

Funny thing is that a lot of people here probably defended DOA and were antagonized in the past.

Yeah the lack of sex appeal annoy me a lot and is probably the reason of why I probably would not buy any dlc for any girl.
I feel like you have to make a lot of mental gimnastic to say than the current character model have the same sex apeal than the models of DOA 5.

Wonder why this forum in particular is so happy so ok with the reduction of fanservice.
Anyway I really hate this, we werr in the past a decent fanbase and we all loved DOA, with his good things and his bad things, now we have half of the fanbase fighting each other.
We should be happy than DOA 6 is a reality, but thanks to an PR disaster and a director who aparently think than less sexy women and smaller boobs make a game more serius and human, we have two half of the same fanbase insulting each other.

I'll try to level with you here

Guess I can agree that it sucks to see the fandom split like this, it sure does highlight how many people actually played the game for gameplay vs aesthetics. DOA6 still has most of what made the series special to begin with: the girls are still sexy, the gameplay is still fluid, the silly over-the-top narrative continues, and stages are still interactive (though most can agree they're not on the tier of itagaki's entries). And this mostly seems to be an issue with how doa brands itself; we literally have a live event tonight hosting a game with kasumi in a serious ninja suit and a game with her on a beach in a bikini. There is nothing inherently wrong with 6's design direction, but it's rather everything in name.

You ask why people are fine with the fanservice reduction (which there isn't) but there's a whole other side of DOA's fandom who believe this actually held the series back for years. Even before 5 DOA was never as soft core as many believe today, just go back and look at the outfits in 3 and tell me why you can't see anything from 6 fitting into that game. I honestly can't see how much different this game is in comparison to the other ones, we'll obviously be getting more costumes down the line. You also mention character models, which as many have pointed out, are the same if not extremely similar to 5.

I truly blame most of this on xtreme being a thing since that series pretty much overlaps the DOA name, the whole localization controversy around 3 didn't help. This debate is so pointless but honestly it's hard to blame them and people like you since the brand kinda did this to itself. I think it's actually stupid af to boycott a fighting game over something this trivial, but I guess I kinda see the point of view, especially if 5 was someone's first game since most of its lifespan was shoving skimpy dlc down our throats.

Anyways the game isn't even out yet so let's at least wait until then... or not I'd rather not.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Looking at the random Ayane screens, I'm reminded of something else: DOA2U was graphically/artistically probably the most carefully and with most love to detail crafted DOA. They actually modelled the breasts being pushed up and together by that particular bikini.

dead-or-alive-ultimate-20040923111339443.jpg

In all other games the girls have one general breast shape and all bikinis/costumes are modelled around that shape. More modern physics, like they were introduced in DOA5LR and even improved in DOAX3, still are not able to simulate that push up effect as convincingly. Props to DOA2U on the original Xbox to look that great and to still look great and even outclass current DOAs in some aspects.

SaihateDYNAMO

View attachment 26418
Wow... did you actually go through all that effort to make that image just to prove a point about Ayane's (inconsistent) cup size? How pressed about this topic ARE you? (BTW is that DOAX3 pic a deviantart render?? LOL!)

Regardless of the cup size, I can tell Ayane's still the same bad bitch she's always been from the new pic, which is all that matters to me. Her outfit looks great, and is good example of fanservice that stays accurate to a character's personal style, something I felt DOA5 did a horrible job of doing with some of its later costume designs. I don't get why it's so bad that she's not as big as in X3, cause as others have said before, she has the same, average chest size she had in LR.

DOAX3 was a mistake.

zoo

Looking at the random Ayane screens, I'm reminded of something else: DOA2U was graphically/artistically probably the most carefully and with most love to detail crafted DOA. They actually modelled the breasts being pushed up and together by that particular bikini.

dead-or-alive-ultimate-20040923111339443.jpg

In all other games the girls have one general breast shape and all bikinis/costumes are modelled around that shape. More modern physics, like they were introduced in DOA5LR and even improved in DOAX3, still are not able to simulate that push up effect as convincingly. Props to DOA2U on the original Xbox to look that great and to still look great and even outclass current DOAs in some aspects.
DOA2U is one of the best looking xbox games, hell 3D fighting games ever

Raansu

Its not damage control. You just care way too much about something that is inconsequential. Most of us care very little and focus more on the gameplay.

werewolfgold

Because it's not. fucking. true.

I'm going to have to stop being nice to y'all. You people (What do you mean "you people"?) come in here and complain the boobs are smaller even if they're not. And then when people show you that they're not, you ignore them. Perhaps you don't understand concepts like foreshortening, angle, lighting, or color theory that may cause a slight illusion that they're smaller in the deluxe edition costume image, especially compared to a profile shot or lower angle shot that would emphasize certain assets more. But, we already have numerous images of DOA6 Ayane otherwise and it's clearly the same proportions as her DOA5 model. And then when people tell you that, it's "damage control" and "echo chambers"? No. It's R E A L I T Y. Why should anyone here take you seriously?

Now, if you wanted to talk about the fact that Helena changed, okay. She did. That's also reality. But, then if I said that by TN's own arbitrary metrics, she was supposed to have the same measurements as Hitomi so this is kind of more accurate, you'd probably just ignore that, too. And if I said that DOA5 was kind of an outlier with how ridiculous things got, so the "reduction of fanservice" we're getting with DOA6 isn't that weird, it'd still be the end of the world. Because nothing else about the game fucking matters except every single damn woman in the game having humongous tits (minus Marie) that need to be falling out of every single damn outfit they wear. And that's always been the problem. For DOA, apparently, there is supposed to be nothing else to take into consideration.

I mean, can't you see!? ThEy'Re AlL jUsT wEaRiNg BuRkAs NoW!1!1!

Last edited:

RetroMe91

So, not to change the topic from and unnecessary and redundant topic that no one can agree on due to a matter of polygons or whatever (speaking of which where are Lisa’s polygons?), but when does the important parts of DOAFEST start?

XxSakuraLuvaxX

why do people complain about boob reductions when there's more to fanservice than just big titties.. marie rose exists for a reason. let ayane be skinny (even though it's just a bad camera angle) so people who like that can like that

anyway HER NAILS yes queen i love the new hand models i'm curious about the male navels & feet too no fetish though i just like 3d things
WoZvVMM.jpg

werewolfgold

So, not to change the topic from and unnecessary and redundant topic that no one can agree on due to a matter of polygons or whatever (speaking of which where are Lisa’s polygons?), but when does the important parts of DOAFEST start?
I can be helpful, too.
GET YOU A MAN THAT CAN DO BOTH.

13:00 オープニング
13:20 『DOAX Venus Vacation』1周年記念ステージ
14:15 コスプレコレクション
15:15 『DOA6』エキシビションステージ
16:20 『DOA5 Last Round』ファイナルトーナメント

1pm: Opening
1:20pm: DOAXVV 1-year Commemoration
2:15pm: Cosplay Collection
3:15pm: DOA6 Exhibition
4:20pm: DOA5LR Final Tournament