DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5 Last Round Gameplay Discussion

Shiranui

66pk is another interesting move because Mai has virtually no recovery after she lands from the move, most of the recovery is in the air. What this means is you can whiff it and make the opponent think they can whiff punish you when in fact they can't. Now it is still punishable on block, but they have to buffer the throw input while you are in the air, too late and you can act first.
Also it causes juggle high enough to follow it with 6PP(cancel)214p / 236k, for instance.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The only downside to 4P+K is that it can be stepped, but even that isn't an issue because it's a charge move and a PB at that since it varies on how long or early the individual charges it.

SilverForte

Mai is def a strange beast. She is one of the few characters that you need to strike punish instead of throw punish, case in point being her fan.

If she throws it at you point blank, she's highly negative but you can't throw punish it because of the pushback. However, she is in a CH state for the full recovery, so you can throw out a launcher or something and get a full combo afterwards. I like this because it harkens to punishment in 2d fighters.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Mai literally feels like another version of Ayane for me. Going to get back on the grind after work tonight and play all day tomorrow since I'm off Thursday. I may even stream too. Would make it easier to discuss her instead of typing a big ass post.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Mai literally feels like another version of Ayane for me. Going to get back on the grind after work tonight and play all day tomorrow since I'm off Thursday. I may even stream too. Would make it easier to discuss her instead of typing a big ass post.
So, is she a secondary or not ?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'll hopefully be trying Mai out tonight for myself, really excited! I'll take some notes and stuff and share what I deem her best ten moves in the other thread. I'm honestly more interested in her zoning style so I'll definitely be hype

KING JAIMY

In what way is Mai similar to Ayane?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They're both zoner type spacing characters who can make it very difficult for an opponent to move in on them, that and they're pretty visually unpredictable if you're not watching carefully XD

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor

Their hit n' run strategy is almost identical, plus Mai can thoroughly and safely harass you for some damage without having to overcommit to much of anything, like Ayane. She can be just as difficult to hit due to how evasive she is. (even though no movement in the game really compares to Ayane's 1P+K and backflip).

Smartly used fans can clip you and make you think about going low, just like getting clipped by a low from Ayane makes you think about blocking low or low crushing. Both are hard to prepare for.

Mai's 6K and Ayane's 2P are very solid footsie tools as they push you away from both characters, and they don't let you do much. Neither character really has to overextend themselves to open you up. Good jab, PP (strings optional), tick throw, and her 2K string are all basically enough to make someone start pressing buttons. Sets up the counter hit 6P and 5K.

Mai's stun launch mix up is very solid, one stun into 8K, H+K or 3P+K will net her the air throw for 60+. Or ending a juggle with her Hitssatsu-Shinobi-Bachi ender starts two situations;

- Push them out and follow up with the fan (makes them deal it plus it waste more time on the clock). Makes them work their way in all over again.

OR

- Run in and follow up on offensive momentum

Both can do stun into a string that leads into a natural combo for knockdowns (Ayane with PKK and Mai with 4P 214P or 4P 236K. Little things like these later open more damage opportunities).

It's just their ability to do so much without having to do much at all where they feel the same to me.

Mai's whiff punishment is nothing by comparison though.

SilverForte

Does anyone have any good ideas on following up momentum after a ryu enbu knockdown? It happens frequently because its a safe ender but every time I have to back off or guess the wakeup kick.

tekkin88

Does anyone have any good ideas on following up momentum after a ryu enbu knockdown? It happens frequently because its a safe ender but every time I have to back off or guess the wakeup kick.
well in trying to figure out a way to answer your question, i think i found an unholdable? if hit your opponent with 214p raw , they can't hold 4p214p. so there's that. someone can probably test it better.

edit: testing some more; it appears it only works on just a raw 214p, no stun game beforehand allowed.
edit 2: jk it only doesn't work on 3pp and pppp. it works on 8pp and all the other cancels
edit 3: here's a quick vid of how i'm doing it. haven't tested on other weights
edit 4: just realized that 4p and 8p have the same startup frames so you can use 8pp instead of 4p214p. testing on other weights has proven to be very finicky

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Exactly, like i couldn't even do her PL combo without it constantly 8Ping, so I had to kind of teach myself to just transition to joystick whenever using her jump mechanics.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD