DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

Xhominid The Demon Within

I wonder what Mai's Power Blow animation is going to look like.
It will probably be a Mid Punch Power Blow like the majority of them are (some in the game are actually Mid Kicks).
A P+K input. She performs some elaborate multi-hit animation (Possibly her fan rekkas from 98/02/02UM or previous Fatal Fury games) and then probably ends the combination with a Ryuuenbu.

The Power Launcher is probably going to resemble Mai's qcfx2 + P animation from 98 (from EX Mai iteration). Or, better yet, her DP+K from 98 in her regular version where she perform a back flip kick laced with flames.

I think her Power Blow will be her Cartwheel Super and her Power Launcher animation will be the Flame Aura attack(forgetting names atm, haven't played KOF in a long while).

But as others stated, her projectile fans may be faster than Raidou's fireballs, but they will still fall under the same weakness as fireballs in 3D movement games do.

HHH816

anyone get hit by mai powerblow will
1169040657824nu0ek9.gif

Last edited:

Shiranui

I wonder what Mai's Power Blow animation is going to look like.
It will probably be a Mid Punch Power Blow like the majority of them are (some in the game are actually Mid Kicks).
A P+K input. She performs some elaborate multi-hit animation (Possibly her fan rekkas from 98/02/02UM or previous Fatal Fury games) and then probably ends the combination with a Ryuuenbu.

The Power Launcher is probably going to resemble Mai's qcfx2 + P animation from 98 (from EX Mai iteration). Or, better yet, her DP+K from 98 in her regular version where she perform a back flip kick laced with flames.
I wonder the same too. I guess her Power Blow will be Chou Hisatsu Shinobi Bachi. Very similar to Kasumi's but with fire :D
Mai02_qcbhcfK3.png

As for her Power Launcher, I think Kagero no Mai could work, but I guess they'll prefer a jumping punch/kick like the rest of the cast have, not a fire pillar, so Hana Arashi could be a nice Power Launcher, but doing just one hit.
Mai02_2xqcfP3.png

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I wonder the same too. I guess her Power Blow will be Chou Hisatsu Shinobi Bachi. Very similar to Kasumi's but with fire :D
Mai02_qcbhcfK3.png
I could see that happening.

As for her Power Launcher, I think Kagero no Mai could work, but I guess they'll prefer a jumping punch/kick like the rest of the cast have, not a fire pillar, so Hana Arashi could be a nice Power Launcher, but doing just one hit.
Mai02_2xqcfP3.png
I could also see that happening.

One thing that Team Ninja could do to make Mai represent her own game is incorporating some mechanics from KOF and/or Fatal Fury (like dodge rolls or side dodges for example). I wouldn't bother giving her meter since Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special had Desperation Moves based on low damage.

VAND1TA

Standard Donor
I could see that happening.

I could also see that happening.

One thing that Team Ninja could do to make Mai represent her own game is incorporating some mechanics from KOF and/or Fatal Fury (like dodge rolls or side dodges for example). I wouldn't bother giving her meter since Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special had Desperation Moves based on low damage.

Also Mai´s dodges could be handled similar to Bayman's and Marie rose's, because they both have dodge/ rolls. so it wont broke the game mechanic. ;)

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Ooh... Those dodges and rolls could also be used as part of her holds (or advanced holds) as well! Or, for advanced hold you have a variation of "Guard Cancel Rolls" or "Guard Cancel Blowback". Or, both versions may end up being just regular moves.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't see her using sajjuken or any fans co sidering how TN's been treating projectiles in the game, though I would actually be interested to see it implemented similar to akuma's fireballs.

If they implement something more similar to xiii or xiv and use p/k for A/B and p+k/h+k for C/D and borrow some of the MI rev.B strings then she'll be worth trying out for kof players.

However I still don't think there would be enough incentive for kof players to migrate or visit the game, since she's not kyo, geese, iori, yuri or even Rodriguez/kushnood since people I spoke to were more interested in them. Also there's the case of kasumi being a visual clone of mai and making this addition a bit redundant.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
As much as Geese would fit into the game, if he was thrown in here he would be a true asshole. Though his theme was pretty badass have to admit.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Also there's the case of kasumi being a visual clone of mai and making this addition a bit redundant.
I don't think she will be a Kasumi clone since I never seen Mai have any teleports in her moves. But I do understand where you're coming from.

As much as Geese would fit into the game, if he was thrown in here he would be the ultimate douchebag.
I don't know if you seen his gameplay in KOF14, but he kinda plays a bit similar to Heihachi.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I don't know if you seen his gameplay in KOF14, but he kinda plays a bit similar to Heihachi.

Yeah I know, the hammer down overhead etc. however he still retains the counters that can actually fit for a DOA game. He'll possibly be one of the few characters who can carry an offensive type in similar to Fu and change some of his holds to parries/sabaki type if he was actually brought over.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Interesting. Most of the folks I spoke to back from both Europe and in Virginia seem excited about Mai. Then again several elements in DOA (including Kasumi herself) were inspired by the said character. Plus, she is essentially an icon to KOF/FF (some even more so than most of the other characters mentioned in the thread). I'm delighted she is in the game, since she is my go-to character for 98/98UM and 02UM (cannot say anything about OG 02 since I never played that game on any competitive basis).

Shiranui

I love Mai since Fatal Fury 2 so I'm a hardcore fan of her. And I love DOA since DOA2 (I remember I used to play Kasumi because she looked like Mai) but I never had an Xbox so when DOA became exclusive for Microsoft, I lost my contact with game series. I couldn't be happier when I saw DOA5 announced for both PS and Xbox. And now that Mai is coming to DOA5... well, is just a dream to me. The sad thing about this is that she won't come back in future DOAs :(

Anyway. Let's talk a bit about her attacks :D

I guess she will have, at least, her 4 most typical and traditional special moves.

-KachouSen: a throwing fan. I guess it will work like any other projectile in this game (Raidou's, Nyotengu's) but smaller and faster. Not sure if it will be used for combos or strings.

-Ryuuenbu: tail's flame. I think this attack could work similar to Rachel's qcb+P, for instance. Even the input is the same.

-Hisatsu Shinobi Bachi: elbow launch. It will work like any other launch attack in this game (like Ayane's flying kick or Jan Lee's flying kick) and it can work in a string since it has a first hit before she launches herself.

-Musasabi Mai. That's the most tricky one. It is done in air and since in DOA there are no jumps, I guess it will have to work as other aerial attacks. Only after a jumping move and as a finisher of that move. It could be nice if she could do Musasabi Mai with punch or Ukihane (knee drop) with kick.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They could give a Mai a jump a jump command as an evasive and offensive tool, just assign her KOF back and forward short jump as 7P and 9P, they did that with Naotora.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD