DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I'm still relatively surprised by the fact that she was even announced for DOA5LR! Curiosity and excitement levels are increasing steadily...

Shiranui

KOF XIV + Mai in DOA5LR = 2016 best year ever :D

It would be awesome to see some Mai gameplay footage in two weeks.

Last edited:

Sotherius

I wonder if she will have any special interaction with characters, in tag mode or win quotes.

"Wait, there are ninjas with bigger boobs than mine? WTF is going on?!"

P2p1mbs

My main worry about this character is that they put in flashy effects like they did with :naotora: (who i still refuse to refer to by name). :naotora:'s use of many flashy effects (like in her power blow) really turned me off to her and I hope Mai doesnt get the same or at least they tone it dow a bit

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Unfortunately I don't think that would be the case since the character chucks fire and fans all the time and her regular super turns her into a living fireball.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Interesting. Most of the folks I spoke to back from both Europe and in Virginia seem excited about Mai. Then again several elements in DOA (including Kasumi herself) were inspired by the said character. Plus, she is essentially an icon to KOF/FF (some even more so than most of the other characters mentioned in the thread). I'm delighted she is in the game, since she is my go-to character for 98/98UM and 02UM (cannot say anything about OG 02 since I never played that game on any competitive basis).
She's always played the same throughout every KOF & FF game. I've played all of them up to this point. You can actually go & lab with her on fightcade in all of the older ones too. 02um she got additional moves since it was a new steam version like her back fan toss. In 02 vanilla, she had her fan swipe as a special, but in both 13 & 14, they made it into an actual normal that she could use to anti air & as a cross up since they extended a the hitbox on it. The move is st C (far version) in KOF & FF notational terms

Mai has always been a relatively fast character that had good mixups & air control with a strong neutral. Since it's DOA, I don't expect them to give her the traditional fan toss, but her nose dive attack where she jumps & comes at you head 1st & her wall jump, I do see. There is a possibility that she'll have it, but I don't look for it. I do expect her traditional fan poke though. And of course her QCB+P button.

Last edited:

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
She's always played the same throughout every KOF & FF game. I've played all of them up to this point. You can actually go & lab with her on fightcade in all of the older ones too. 02um she got additional moves since it was a new steam version like her back fan toss. In 02 vanilla, she had her fan swipe as a special, but in both 13 & 14, they made it into an actual normal that she could use to anti air & as a cross up since they extended a the hitbox on it. The move is st C (far version) in KOF & FF notational terms

Mai has always been a relatively fast character that had good mixups & air control with a strong neutral. Since it's DOA, I don't expect them to give her the traditional fan toss, but her nose dive attack where she jumps & comes at you head 1st & her wall jump, I do see. There is a possibility that she'll have it, but I don't look for it. I do expect her traditional fan poke though. And of course her QCB+P button.
I might try OG02 eventually...
Her EX version in 98 had the fan swipe (qcb+K) as well which could free cancel into qcb+P. I tend to favor that version of Mai in 98UM because of the addition of Kagero no Mai. I like Mai a lot in KOF02UM as well because of the useful combo she does from the ground (close heavy normal/chain cancelled light > df+B > qcb+B free cancel qcb+C). She also had several more moves off of ground Musasabi and from the midair in that game. In XIII... I had mixed feelings about her in that game (I explain this a bit more on Part 5 of my tutorial and on SRK. Her normals were really good and the damage she got from 2 bars was well over 700+ though to get that much from the mid screen with that much meter, the player has to pass an execution barrier. There were also a few other problems as well but you are probably aware of what they are at this point). Based on what I am seeing from XIV, a lot of the issues I had with Mai from XIII were rectified. A nice little reversal, manifested as Kagero no Mai used as a DM. She can get 516 damage off of a standing light punch at the midscreen for two bars. Laughed really hard too...)

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I might try OG02 eventually...
Her EX version in 98 had the fan swipe (qcb+K) as well which could free cancel into qcb+P. I tend to favor that version of Mai in 98UM because of the addition of Kagero no Mai. I like Mai a lot in KOF02UM as well because of the useful combo she does from the ground (close heavy normal/chain cancelled light > df+B > qcb+B free cancel qcb+C). She also had several more moves off of ground Musasabi and from the midair in that game. In XIII... I had mixed feelings about her in that game (I explain this a bit more on Part 5 of my tutorial and on SRK. Her normals were really good and the damage she got from 2 bars was well over 700+ though to get that much from the mid screen with that much meter, the player has to pass an execution barrier. There were also a few other problems as well but you are probably aware of what they are at this point). Based on what I am seeing from XIV, a lot of the issues I had with Mai from XIII were rectified. A nice little reversal, manifested as Kagero no Mai used as a DM. She can get 516 damage off of a standing light punch at the midscreen for two bars. Laughed really hard too...)
I'm going to put her last in 14. There or 2nd (& have Yuri) last. More than likely 3rd though. Let the other characters build that meter for her. Her comeback factor is extremely high lol. And her buttons are godlike lol. She can play any position though.

Shiranui

My favourite version of Mai in KOF is '97. Classic but with some new tools other than her FF2/Special basic moveset and with 3 DMs. Also another encarnations of Mai I love to play are her MI2 version and her Real Bout Special (those rekkas and those command moves <3)

lotr9690

I just want to play this character, can't believe she'll be released next month!
All my KOF buddies are THIRSTY for her release. I liken it to... if Ryu or Ayane were released into MK during a DOA dry spell. They're way more amped then I am... which makes me even more curious and excited for Mai. I can't wait to see what you find out about her once she's released. You always find awesome tech. Like good footsies. ;)

SoftCabbage

Anyone else think TN would make it so that Mai's boobs will bounce even if you have boob bounce disabled?

This is apparently a very good question and a discussion starter of the century.

If Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, and Phytagoras were alive, they would discuss about it.

lotr9690

This is apparently a very good question and a discussion starter of the century.

If Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, and Phytagoras were alive, they would discuss about it.
Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, and Phytagoras -- as the Symposium suggests -- would not talk about women's breasts. Partly because their social reality revolved around male-on-male desire. The first three absolutely hated romances with women and preferred men (sometimes boys but that's a separate system called pedastry, which is not what they discuss). Just FYI. I understand the spirit of your comment, though.

P2p1mbs

Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, and Phytagoras -- as the Symposium suggests -- would not talk about women's breasts. Partly because their social reality revolved around male-on-male desire. The first three absolutely hated romances with women and preferred men (sometimes boys but that's a separate system called pedastry, which is not what they discuss). Just FYI. I understand the spirit of your comment, though.

Ok, so what do you each think? Bounce or no bounce? I personally think it would be funny if they did keep it in...

lotr9690

Ok, so what do you each think? Bounce or no bounce? I personally think it would be funny if they did keep it in...
Lol OK! Personally I dislike DOAs breast physics because breasts don't have unique physics. When breasts move it is undulation because it is a combo of skin and fat rippling. And if breasts are moving everything else should too in much the same way as EA UFC game on PS4. I say that all the time though on these forums. Just trying to spread the word lmao. OK I'll stop now

P2p1mbs

Lol OK! Personally I dislike DOAs breast physics because breasts don't have unique physics. When breasts move it is undulation because it is a combo of skin and fat rippling. And if breasts are moving everything else should too in much the same way as EA UFC game on PS4. I say that all the time though on these forums. Just trying to spread the word lmao. OK I'll stop now

So... no bounce?

Sotherius

Well, i don't think they can even make Mai bounce with breasts physics turned off.

Like, it is something in the engine. they would have to make an exeption for her breasts to jiggle even with breasts physics turned off, and this could be something really easy to do, or impossible depending on how the game was made.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Well, i don't think they can even make Mai bounce with breasts physics turned off.

Like, it is something in the engine. they would have to make an exeption for her breasts to jiggle even with breasts physics turned off, and this could be something really easy to do, or impossible depending on how the game was made.

*Ahem*

You are forgetting Marie Rose...

The ONLY time her breasts ever bounce is in OMG Mode and the player has to make them bounce.

So yes, it's easy for a character to be ignored if they don't want jiggle physics for one character apparently and thus, the opposite must be true as well.

P2p1mbs

Finally, some gives a direct answer.

You are forgetting Marie Rose...

The ONLY time her breasts ever bounce is in OMG Mode and the player has to make them bounce.

Actually, her boobs bounce all the time just like the other girls, not just in omg, its just harder to notice since theyre so small

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD