Momiji Video Thread

J.D.E.

Standard Donor

There's 2. I'll more up soon. Analyze away. She'll be a character that I play offline too so come with it. :p

Saber

First video (assuming you're the Momiji in her C1)
0:07 - 2K shouldn't be thrown out in neutral. Highly unsafe doesn't even crush anything, linear and has no follow ups.
0:11 - As with 2K, 6K isn't a move you want to throw out in neutral. The entire string is SS-able easily because Momiji is in air state so nothing will track.
0:13 - Nice use of 2P
0:14 - When using 6P, always string delay, because most options are unsafe and all followups are linear.
0:18 - After 6K, you shouldn't use 6H+K because 6K is only +24. Rule of thumb for Momiji is to just stun-launch.
0:21 - Missed a juggle.
0:27 - Nice use of 1P
0:32 - After a CH 6P(whiff)P, go into launch or her double-sitdown. No need to extend stun as she doesn't really need it.
0:34 - Nice throw punishment.
0:48 - The mistake most Momiji players make - they don't maximize her juggle damage potential [juggle list here]. After 8K, you should do 8P, 6PKK~P.
0:51 - Opponent dropped 6KK, you should low throw him.
0:58 - Once again, 6K should be avoided indefinitely at neutral.
1:02 - Dropped juggle. A CL3 236P can be followed up by 66K, 6PKK~P. Anything in Momiji's PP string should never be used for juggling.
1:14 - 66K is a pretty deep stun. Launch, don't extend.
1:15 - 3K shouldn't be used in stun. It doesn't give much.
1:38 - Should you choose to extend stun with a mid P, 6K shouldn't be your go-to option. 3P is far superior. (+17 versus +28)
1:40 - Big mistake using an extremely slow move after a +15 sitdown. Not to mention 33P is a high.
1:48 - CB after a 6P is not recommended since 6P is only +17. 3P isn't a launcher that should be used after CB. 236P and 33P are far better options. You're also near the wall, so always go for the wall splat.
1:52 - After a mid K hold, your go-to combo is 6PK, 6PKK~P instead of just 6PKK~K. In open space, you should always go for Tenku P instead of K since it does more damage, but near a wall, Tenku K is your best friend.
1:59 - PK is throw-punishable (-8)
2:00 - Same with PK, H+K is throw-punishable.
2:04 - Definitely don't recommend extending stun after 6K. Launch immediately.
2:16 - On lightweights, you don't have to use 33P. 236P is stronger, and again, juggle potential.

Second video:
0:07 - Very nice throw punish, but ahh, the dropped juggle. After a launch throw, you have two options, to go for a FT or damage. Best damage pn lightweights is 3P4P, 6PKK~P.
0:12 - Missed juggle potential
0:15 - 6PP is unsafe. Throw punish it.
0:32 - 2K is unsafe. Throw punish it.
0:36 - Missed a launch.
0:38 - After a knockdown, you should always space since Momiji doesn't have much tools besides her holds to deal with WU kicks. 7P is your best friend to get out of the WU kick zone.
0:39 - Never use 3K after a mid K hold.
0:44 - Unless you're sure you're going to score a CH, 3KP is best used never since it's unsafe and easily interrupted during transition to stance.
0:49 - 1P is negative on normal hit because it has followups, so you should followup to not get CH.
1:10 - After 6P, P, launch. P in stun is +29, use it to your advantage.
1:14 - Missed juggle potential. Post CB before wall juggle: 236P, 6PK, 6PKK~P.
1:25 - Dropped juggle. After 8P, 8P again, 6PKK~P.
1:26 - Throw punish low WU kick.
1:28 - After 66P, it's best to either string delay, or fuzzy guard (-5 on block).
1:39 - 1PP is -15 on block. Throw punish.
1:52 - 2P is good to throw out, but not at range since 2P's range is very very short.
1:59 - 2K should never be thrown out at range.
2:06 - Use followup. You should only free cancel if you land a CH 1P.
2:07 - 236P shouldn't be thrown out like that because it's highly unsafe.
2:25 - 6P is unsafe.
2:30 - CB after 6H+K not recommended since 6H+K is only +15. Missed juggle potential again.
2:37 - KK is -6. You can use a neutral throw, but it's breakable.

You have your fundamentals down, like punishing holds and using throws when appropriate, but a lack of knowledge on Momiji's frames and how her juggles work is your bane. You also seem to resort to 2P, 1P and 6P very often, and there's a lack of crushing here. A lot of times, 2P, 1P and 6P are just thrown out on impulse despite the latter two being extremely unsafe. 6P+K is a very good high crush which you should add to your repertoire, along with running H+K as a get-in tool, 236P as CL3/post CB launch, 8K/8P for instant stun launch and 214PP+K for a near guaranteed bound setup. Momiji's best mid-range pokes aren't used here nearly at all, like 4K which has good range and is only -5. But, you're only beginning so benefit of the doubt. You'll definitely improve - I see potential.

And oh my, sorry for the wall of text. I just felt like doing an in-depth analysis. :confused:

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Nope, I appreciate it. I need it if I'm going to play her. I was actually wondering when somebody was going to comment lol. Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to find good combos though. I'll come back with more ASAP.

EDIT: What about whiff punshing? Like out in space?

Saber

Nope, I appreciate it. I need it if I'm going to play her. I was actually wondering when somebody was going to comment lol. Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to find good combos though. I'll come back with more ASAP.

EDIT: What about whiff punshing? Like out in space?
I've got a list of optimum juggles.
http://freestepdodge.com/threads/momiji-combo-thread.3286/page-3#post-148953

And regarding whiff punishing, 66PP is good because 66P is safe and you can always free cancel it for frame advantage or delay it to bait a CH launch. There's 66K too but it's unsafe. Best used for punishing lows since on NH on a standing opponent, it causes a deep stun and on a crouching opponent, it launches. You can use 236P of you think the opponent would SS after whiffing, but the range isn't as long as the other two.

Tenryuga

Wish I could upload vids to get some critique on my Momiji. You are one of the few people on this website I've seen who know how to do it @Saber. I was able to learn some stuff just from you critiquing someone else lol.

genocide_cutter

I've got a list of optimum juggles.
http://freestepdodge.com/threads/momiji-combo-thread.3286/page-3#post-148953

And regarding whiff punishing, 66PP is good because 66P is safe and you can always free cancel it for frame advantage or delay it to bait a CH launch. There's 66K too but it's unsafe. Best used for punishing lows since on NH on a standing opponent, it causes a deep stun and on a crouching opponent, it launches. You can use 236P of you think the opponent would SS after whiffing, but the range isn't as long as the other two.

What about me?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Here's a few matches I had with a buddy this week.

I'm impressed by his Momiji, I personally think that he's been coming along quite well.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah, I'm impressed with how well he performed in our last session. I love seeing little improvements here or there. Eh, once you get used to Ayane offline, you'll realize that she's not that bad. Most Ayane players struggle offline. She just forces both players to fight smart. I think that the Ayane/Momiji MU is 5:5. The Kasumi MU gave him a bit of trouble though, because Momiji has to be much more defensive in close compared to the Ayane MU.

JKT

I think the spinning really puts me off @_@ lol. And comparing how you both fought to myself, I noticed that I use holds way too much. Yep when it was Momiji vs Kasumi I noticed he had some trouble. I find Kasumi just as threatening lol.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I think the spinning really puts me off @_@ lol. And comparing how you both fought to myself, I noticed that I use holds way too much. Yep when it was Momiji vs Kasumi I noticed he had some trouble. I find Kasumi just as threatening lol.

Pffft, Kasumi is just buttons =P. Momiji can counter that with more, safer buttons, when on the offensive of course! And yes, when you play DOA5U, don't spam holds. SE instead.

Also, a lot of Ayane's spinning is just for show.

JKT

Hmm I never do SE :s. Any tips on how to do it properly? I did it in the tutorial but even then I was having some trouble, which is why I resorted to doing holds like a reflex XD

I wish Ayane would just spin out of orbit and off the stage ^o^

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD