NG2 vs. NG3RE

Kensei25

I noticed in another thread there was some fun discussion about comparing UTs and OTs of NG2 and NG3RE. I thought it would be cool to make this it's own topic. I am not including NGB as that I think stands apart in gameplay style and also being the most polished NG game ever. But, NG2 and NG3RE have alot to compare and contrast. Let me say definitively that NG2 is IMO the better game for sure (and my personal NG favorite) but I also think NG3RE was great and brought some good stuff to the table. SO:

Obliteration Techniques
- this I think is a toss up between the two games. I LOVE the OTs in both games to be honest----a few in NG2 I like better and a few in NG3RE I like better. NG3RE might have the slight edge in cool OTs and how brutal they are. BUT, the gore and blood effects in NG2 are much better......NG3RE is nicely visceral/gory as well but the blood effects are not quite as good.

Ultimate Techniques
- this one is pretty easy---NG2 definitely has the better, more epic UTs. NG3RE UTs are not bad and I like them too but they don't have the "holy sh*t" factor of NG2's....I remember the first time doing UTs in NG2 and was in awe....

Overall Weapon Movesets
- this I think is also a toss up to be honest---I love the movesets in each game. I miss a few moves/combos from NG2 but actually overall I think I may actually prefer the NG3RE movesets. I do applaud Team Ninja for developing such good new movesets for the weapons in NG3RE, making them still feel fresh and new to learn even though the weapons are the same.

Thoughts?

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
OTs
- NGRE (yea, I said it Brute ^.^)
NGRE has some pretty nasty looking OT's a lot more brutal than NG2

UT
- NG2
NGRE UT's are bland and boring
Dodge Mechanics
- NG2

Level Design
- NG2
NGRE is to linear, no exploration, no chests, and bland level design

Weapons
- Both have ups and downs

Boss Battles
- NGS2
Both NG2 and NGRE have horrible boss battles but NGS2 fixed it up a lot and is much much more better than both NG2 and NGRE

NGB has good boss battles as well

- Story
Both are crap but who cares about story lol

Last edited:

Kensei25

Nice g-gill, I largely agree with you....

Dodge Mechanics - agreed NG2 is better (I don't hate NG3RE's slide though)

Level Design - definitely NG2 is better---this is probably NG3RE's biggest weakness as compared to other NGs

Boss Battles - pretty much equal, NG2 has more boss battles though so it probably wins. In general, boss battles are a weakness of NG games. The best boss battles in all the NG games are the humanoid ones.

Story - Yes, never a strong point for NG games but I actually have liked the stories in all the games for what they are. I think the mythology and depth is there for TN to make much better stories in the future.

I noticed in another thread there was some fun discussion about comparing UTs and OTs of NG2 and NG3RE. I thought it would be cool to make this it's own topic. I am not including NGB as that I think stands apart in gameplay style and also being the most polished NG game ever. But, NG2 and NG3RE have alot to compare and contrast. Let me say definitively that NG2 is IMO the better game for sure (and my personal NG favorite) but I also think NG3RE was great and brought some good stuff to the table. SO:

Obliteration Techniques
- this I think is a toss up between the two games. I LOVE the OTs in both games to be honest----a few in NG2 I like better and a few in NG3RE I like better. NG3RE might have the slight edge in cool OTs and how brutal they are. BUT, the gore and blood effects in NG2 are much better......NG3RE is nicely visceral/gory as well but the blood effects are not quite as good.

Ultimate Techniques
- this one is pretty easy---NG2 definitely has the better, more epic UTs. NG3RE UTs are not bad and I like them too but they don't have the "holy sh*t" factor of NG2's....I remember the first time doing UTs in NG2 and was in awe....

Overall Weapon Movesets
- this I think is also a toss up to be honest---I love the movesets in each game. I miss a few moves/combos from NG2 but actually overall I think I may actually prefer the NG3RE movesets. I do applaud Team Ninja for developing such good new movesets for the weapons in NG3RE, making them still feel fresh and new to learn even though the weapons are the same.

Thoughts?
NG2/ngs2 had the best dodge hands down. I hated the slide. When it comes to weapons I say Ng2/Ngs2 because all weapons could be usefull in crowds and some bosses rather 6than spamming 360 triangle all the time with the syth because that is the only usefull weapon against all bosses.

UT's. I say ng2/ngs2 for the simple fact all uts were good crowd control weapons. NGRE the best on in my eyes was the Dual sword and if I could patch ngs2 I would make that the dual swords 360 triangle super for it.

OT's Nothing replaces NG2 for the most part. The only one I will say the NGRE has was the KG. That weapons OT's were sick.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
NG2/ngs2 had the best dodge hands down. I hated the slide. When it comes to weapons I say Ng2/Ngs2 because all weapons could be usefull in crowds and some bosses rather 6than spamming 360 triangle all the time with the syth because that is the only usefull weapon against all bosses.

UT's. I say ng2/ngs2 for the simple fact all uts were good crowd control weapons. NGRE the best on in my eyes was the Dual sword and if I could patch ngs2 I would make that the dual swords 360 triangle super for it.

OT's Nothing replaces NG2 for the most part. The only one I will say the NGRE has was the KG. That weapons OT's were sick.

were have you been lol

Brute

Standard Donor
NG2 did almost everything better. To go on a breakdown:
-Weapon movelists/selection
-Movement/targeting/dodging
-Level design
-Soundtrack
-Enemy design
-Enemy attacks/behavior
-Enemy spawns/fight design
-OTs
-UTs
-Mission Mode (vanilla only)
-Items/inventory
-Graphical style (everything is bright and vivid and imaginative, rather than gritty and gray)

RE did add some things to the table, though:
-Character select in Chapter Challenge
-Cooperative modes (vanilla had none and NGS2's is not implemented super-well)
-Blood on PS3 (prefer NG2 vanilla's, though)
-Kasumi (who is far preferable to NG Rachel)
-Costume selection (definitely better than vanilla's, and still superior to NGS2's, imo)

If you want me to elaborate on any specific point, I'd be happy to. Again, these are just my personal opinions. You're welcome to think whatever you like. But to me, RE is clearly the inferior game, particularly from a gameplay perspective.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
-Kasumi (who is far preferable to NG Rachel)

Interesting that you felt the need to mention Rachel as if she was replaced (or that you mention it at all). Kasumi is a great character, but in my opinion felt a little rushed out the door when it came to pitting her against bosses.

Let me remind you that Rachel was in the critically acclaimed Ninja Gaiden, and was also a good character for that series. Not only was she a main character, but a conflicted one with the same blood as the enemy. Kasumi on the other hand is a Ninja that doesn't belong in this ninja game, clearly going against Itagaki and his wishes for the character HE created.

She also managed to get people psyched about heavies in DOA5, and won her first major on her first try. Now you can keep hurling insults at the character, but it won't do you any good. Rachel has left her mark on Team Ninja, and despite her grueling absence, she's back and here to stay.

Brute

Standard Donor
Interesting that you felt the need to mention Rachel as if she was replaced (or that you mention it at all).
She was replaced in RE. Same characters are playable as in NGS2, except Rachel is gone, and Kasumi is added.

Kasumi is a great character, but in my opinion felt a little rushed out the door when it came to pitting her against bosses.
As opposed to Rachel who was great against bosses? lol

Let me remind you that Rachel was in the critically acclaimed Ninja Gaiden, and was also a good character for that series. Not only was she a main character, but a conflicted one with the same blood as the enemy.
Being "in the critically acclaimed Nina Gaiden" doesn't make her any less annoying or worthy of the sequels. Were that the case, Ishtaros would be popping up in every game. Most, including me, don't give a fuck about Rachel's sidestory in it.

Kasumi on the other hand is a Ninja that doesn't belong in this ninja game, clearly going against Itagaki and his wishes for the character HE created.
Well, George Lucas had some dumb ideas for his characters and story, too, until Spielberg came along and straightened him out. I do promote author integrity and giving the original writer/creator primary control, but Itagaki is no longer at TN and if he were, Rachel would not be playable in NG, nor would Ayane. He did some great things, but he didn't do everything right. It's an old discussion that has little merit in a conversation like this.

She also managed to get people psyched about heavies in DOA5, and won her first major on her first try.
This has to do with what, exactly? The fact that when the game was shipped out she was constructed by an idiot and was absolutely broken so she could obviously win a major tourney? And that's relevant to NG how?
Also, she didn't "psych" people about heavies. There are already heavies in the game. She psyched people over tits and braindead, OP gameplay. Now that the latter part is gone, those "Rachel fans" have become much scarcer, despite her retaining her heavyweight status.

Now you can keep hurling insults at the character, but it won't do you any good. Rachel has left her mark on Team Ninja, and despite her grueling absence, she's back and here to stay.
*looks at RE; sees no Rachel*
Apparently not.

Rachel's a fine addition to DOA5U, and I have no issue with her there. In NG, however, she is cancer and should be purged. Evidently, TN agrees with me. Don't say: "She was in there originally so she belongs there." That argument is as baseless as saying "The Hydracubus was in there originally so he should keep coming back." Some things are a one-off. Yes, she was in NG1. No, she shouldn't be in any more NG games.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
As a playable character she should be. Since she's a fiend hunter she always has the chance to be a playable character, and now that she has been re-xposed and the love continues -- you can bet your ASS she will be in the next Ninja Gaiden game.

Rachel could deal with bosses in Sigma 2 quite well since she had a high damage output, not in every case, but a far superior character to that of Kasumi in NG. Where crowd control was great, but she was about as safe against bosses as she is in DOA5U. And she was about as fun to use as a Dynasty Warrior character.

A lot of people do care about Rachel's story in NG, and it's probably one of the better stories to come from Team Ninja to a character that isn't a ninja. Some people are dead focused on the story of ninjas, I am not.

I like how you call her a fine addition to DOA, but before that call her brain-dead, tits and OP. I think she's a fun character to use, has some satisfying moves though could use a little bit more meat to her Rollthrough... and she's not exactly scarce. I see quite a few people using her when I play, and in my opinion she's a fun match-up.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
not to mention if you set your camera speeds to the max you can make rachel invincible in sigma 2 lmao

Rachel is awesome and hopefully she will return in Ninja Gaiden 4 as a playable character

Brute

Standard Donor
As a playable character she should be. Since she's a fiend hunter she always has the chance to be a playable character, and now that she has been re-xposed and the love continues -- you can bet your ASS she will be in the next Ninja Gaiden game.
It's a toss-up, really. She may be, may not be. Definitely wouldn't bet my sweet, precious ass either way, though.

Rachel could deal with bosses in Sigma 2 quite well since she had a high damage output, not in every case, but a far superior character to that of Kasumi in NG. Where crowd control was great, but she was about as safe against bosses as she is in DOA5U. And she was about as fun to use as a Dynasty Warrior character.
Kasumi can deal with bosses fine, once you adjust. Simply requires a little patience and effort, much like Momiji. I have much less problems using Kasumi in RE than Rachel in Sigma (save for RE's general assfuckery, but that's another issue).

A lot of people do care about Rachel's story in NG, and it's probably one of the better stories to come from Team Ninja to a character that isn't a ninja. Some people are dead focused on the story of ninjas, I am not.
Not really dead-focused on the stories of anyone, but it does makes sense that in NINJA Gaiden you should be following the NINJAS and playing as NINJAS.

I like how you call her a fine addition to DOA, but before that call her brain-dead, tits and OP. I think she's a fun character to use, has some satisfying moves though could use a little bit more meat to her Rollthrough... and she's not exactly scarce. I see quite a few people using her when I play, and in my opinion she's a fun match-up.
Yeah, not sure what part of what I wrote confused you, so I'll re-phrase: upon release she was braindead and OP. She has since been patched and is now fine. No-one at any point was interested in the character because of her super heavyweight status. They were interested because she was a super-heavyweight with boobs, so now the idiots who only use boobs could use Rachel and get super heavyweight properties. If those people weren't in it for the boobs and were just excited about super heavyweights, they would have been using Bass/Bayman or picked up Leon. But, as we know, Bass/Leon are still some of the least played characters (and Rachel plummeted in popularity after the nerf). So, their "excitement" wasn't really about weight class.

So, let's go over Rachel's appearances:
Ninja Gaiden 1/Black: Dumb bitch with a boring story and atrocious outfit who gets captured three fucking times and needs to be rescued by Ryu, who doesn't really give a fuck about her dumb ass anyway (she also refuses to help you fight Murai despite being right there because she's lame as fuck).

Ninja Gaiden Sigma: A horrible "addition" where you are forced to play as her through several segments, breaking the flow of the game to play as some awkward bitch who does absolutely nothing to advance the plot in several awkward levels (if you care about that). Her movement is deliberately clunky and her skills deliberately lacking because for some reason they thought you'd enjoy taking a break from kicking ass as Ryu Hayabusa so that you could stare as some silicone nightmare spin around in circles. Oh, and she shares Tairon's chests/pick-up items with Ryu 'cause fuck you.

Ninja Gaiden 2: She gets captured a bunch of times and still dresses like a slut. Oh, wait, that's Sonya. Whatever.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: You are, again, forced to play as her in one of the most challenging levels in the game. Not because the enemy spawns are particularly difficult, but because, again, you're forced to re-start your inventory and upgrades and are given completely new moves and junk which are far inferior to Ryu's save her bullshit OP UT.

Ninja Gaiden 3/RE: Not there, despite "being back to stay." Whoo.

DOA5U: Broken bitch who is absolutely braindead.

DOA5U 1.03: A mid tier character who is ridiculously easy to pick up, but is not overpowered and can be fun to use/fight on occasion. A fine addition.

That's why I am fine with her in DOA, but not NG. She has never contributed something positive to NG, whereas she has to DOA.

AkaShocka

This Rachel talk. I didn't read through all of this Rachel debate but I'll throw my 50 cents in away. (I'm not on any side).

Rachel is a good character in both DOA and NG. She has a decent role in NG and in DOA she is a good character. I do feel that she fits in NG but at the same time does not. Even though she isn't a ninja I think she can beat Kasumi/Momiji/Ayane (not DOA gameplay, more like NG storyline). I'm not saying this because I like the character but something just tells me she can just end them (unless they sneak up on her because she let a giant tentacle monster sneak up on her xD)

She helped Ryu a lot in one of the NG games and she was playable in one. I don't think she is a bad character and I like her in the NG series.

P.S. Her voice in NG was horrendous, sounded like a 6 year old girl. (Oh Tara Strong! xD)

Brute

Standard Donor
Better than nothing right?
No, I would prefer nothing.

You sure? The one with Alma and that old man? I thought she helped a lot.
Nope. She got captured a lot and required saving often, but never actually helped. Here are the things she's commonly attributed to helping but didn't:
1) Telling Ryu how to get to Doku and navigate Tairon (that was Ayane)
2) Helping him stop Alma (Alma killed herself, Rachel didn't do jackshit except make Alma more powerful by getting captured yet again)
3) Helping Ryu escape a volcano (Ryu can teleport, turn into a bird/mist that can fly and can jump out of volcanoes, as he is seen doing in NG2). He didn't need anyone's help to escape that volcano.

AkaShocka

No, I would prefer nothing.
Lmao, you asshole.

Nope. She got captured a lot and required saving often, but never actually helped. Here are the things she's commonly attributed to helping but didn't:
1) Telling Ryu how to get to Doku and navigate Tairon (that was Ayane)
2) Helping him stop Alma (Alma killed herself, Rachel didn't do jackshit except make Alma more powerful by getting captured yet again)
3) Helping Ryu escape a volcano (Ryu can teleport, turn into a bird/mist that can fly and can jump out of volcanoes, as he is seen doing in NG2). He didn't need anyone's help to escape that volcano.
Well...... ok you win this one. not. But Ryu wanted her to feel like she was doing something when she helped him out of the volcano lol what a troll. Still, I think she's a good character. She's like the Nanime of NG, powerful but useless as hell according to what you just said.

Change that avatar... it gives me the chills.

Brute

Standard Donor
Change that avatar... it gives me the chills.
mqo_XW.gif

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I've read all this and I think you should re-read some of what you wrote. Later tonight I'mma about to go in on yo ass.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD