Nioh General Discussion

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Haven't been encountering anymore mimic enemies. In fact, think I may just take a break from it or perhaps wait for the full game before I invest too much fun time with just the beta alone lol. @Brute @CyberEvil

I stopped at level 60.
I've mostly halted my gameplay at this point myself. Not a fan of grinding when I know I'll have to do it again. I beat all of the content that was available and played with the combat system to my liking. May fire it up a few more times to test things but I'm good until release. The jump in quality from the alpha is just incredible and I really enjoyed the alpha. I'm expecting great things from the final build.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I just feel like ten years ago you'd have probably tried to match his effort, if not outright trump it.
Yes. Back then I was broke and believed I could play video games and be fine in life. Ah, those were the days.

Brute

Standard Donor
I do believe that in the feedback survey I am going to suggest allowing manual control mapping. The use of the L2/R2 and R3 are very strange to me. I rarely use the "cycle hotkeys" option which is mapped to one of the triggers, yet I use the target lock in every single fight, which uses the right thumbstick. You get used to it, but I would much prefer to have it changed.

Sotherius

So, i managed to change IPS and beat Not-Elizebet today, on my last day of the 14 day free period of psplus...

So i got all 2 prizes in the full game that you can get with the demo, right?

Still going to see if i can do some of the twilight stuff.

Also, this vampire lady was underwhelmingly easy, no second phase and not a health tank, was i overleveled? i guess not, i didn't stop to grind once, and i threw all the xp i had away bunch of times. Still fun, and really similar to NG2 Elizebet.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
So, i managed to change IPS and beat Not-Elizebet today, on my last day of the 14 day free period of psplus...

So i got all 2 prizes in the full game that you can get with the demo, right?

Still going to see if i can do some of the twilight stuff.

Also, this vampire lady was underwhelmingly easy, no second phase and not a health tank, was i overleveled? i guess not, i didn't stop to grind once, and i threw all the xp i had away bunch of times. Still fun, and really similar to NG2 Elizebet.
You don't need Plus for the beta and you did get all of the full game rewards now. Hino-Enma is very easy if you're patient. She has a pretty small amount of health.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
with the demo getting ready to end i decided to try and beat Mushige one more time and after learning the timing for avoiding his iaido strikes and using my own to punish him when he ran out of stamina it turned into an actually pretty fun fight and in the end i won. i knew you could cheese him to death, but i didn't really want to do that so i didn't use any special abilities.

well now that that's out of the way im fine with the beta ending. bugged me quite a bit when the first one ended without me beating Nue.

Macca Beam

Finished the demo. Fighting multiple enemies and in claustrophobic areas suck but the game was a blast to play. Extremely smooth and responsive, impactful hits, accurate hitboxes, a stamina bar that isn't just a "you're doing too well, stop!" limiter, and enemies that aren't a bunch of mongoloids. I like the combat as it is because each weapon type/moveset has just enough nuances to not be a R1 fest while at the same time not delving too deep into the MUH 420 AUTISM PER MINUTE EXECUTION crap that's been plaguing action games. I like that the bosses have no outlandish gimmicks to them (yet). Really impressive job from Team Ninja.

Though I don't get why the absolute fuck is this being compared to Souls when the combat is nothing alike and the optimization, AI and overall programming here were done by actual humans with a brain. If anything, it vaguely resembles a goodOnimusha free of Issen/Critical and even that's a stretch.

P.S. I absolutely hate how redundant the item names in this game are. You could always call it "Exorcising Arrow" instead of repeating Arrow twice just so you can keep the weeb pronunciation.

Sotherius

MUH 420 AUTISM PER MINUTE EXECUTION crap that's been plaguing action games.
Well, i think there are few games that are truly that way (high apm and execution), i can only think of DMC 3 and 4, maybe w101... And honestly, while this form of combat doesn't click with me, is what got me into action games in the first place and it has its own merit.

The same way Nioh being awesome as it is, doesn't even get close to the speed that the general combat goes in Ninja Gaiden 2 or 3RE.

But enough about that. Let's go back to Nioh.

I managed to beat the twilight version of the first stage. Funny how a lot of enemies i preffered just dealing the highest ammount of damage instead of draining the enemy's ki bar...

Went to try the fight against the samurai dude, failed miserably. Didn't try much either.

Anyways, since the demo period is ending, i'm glad i got my ps4 in time to play this beta, and i'm excited for the full game.

but...

Come on Team Ninja, give me NG4, improve on everything great you did in NG3RE, while going back to the wonderful enemy A.I. and behavior of NGblack, and i guess the concept artists of ng2...

Sotherius

charge stop mid combo, cicada surge, autumn flame, izuna drop land cancel, reverse flying swallow, teleport shenanigans with the claw and the best moveset ever made for the dragon sword, and extra characters having meaningful differences and being complete gameplay-wise.

Brute

Standard Donor
the best moveset ever made for the dragon sword
No. Hell no.

Anyway, back to Nioh: did anyone focus on polearm weapons and if so, how where they? I enjoyed using them for shits and giggles and the Forward+Dash+Attack combo was a lot of fun, but I never found a use for them outside of recreation. The risk/reward never seemed comparable to other weapons I had, but that could be due to the stats I upgraded or weapon drops available in the demo.

Alternatively, did anyone find a reliable method of acquiring vampiric weapons? I only found one (blue rarity dual swords) and kept soul matching it for continued use. I assume you can get it through the Blacksmith's RNG nonsense, but I never bothered with that.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Probably. Still, I am quite sold with NiOh so far. I know i've been a broken record with how good NiOh is but I seriously can' wait for it lol. The beta itself was much longer than most demos I played and had a bit of replay value just from a beta due to the grind.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I can't wait. Team NINJA still hasn't announced a date but they've been saying 2016 from the beginning. I'm just hoping they avoid November. Halloween would be a fun match and would land between the major releases of October and November.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD