Nioh General Discussion

Brute

Standard Donor
Looks like they won't let me direct join. But I'll wait in the queue. Hopefully I'll hook up with you instead of helping randies fight the boss 100 times.

just be sure to drop a cup at the shrine.

ShinobiGuy

Looks like they won't let me direct join. But I'll wait in the queue. Hopefully I'll hook up with you instead of helping randies fight the boss 100 times.
Thanks, I'm still learning the online play part, but I'll be checking here, just in case. :)

What does drop a cup mean?.... can't find an option for it.

Edit: Ok, dropped a cup.

Appreciate it however it turns out.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Thanks, I'm still learning the online play part, but I'll be checking here, just in case. :)

What does drop a cup mean?.... can't find an option for it.

Edit: Ok, dropped a cup.

Appreciate it however it turns out.
I'm searching. Keep getting randoms.

ShinobiGuy

That was you, then? Nice!

If host dies it's game over. If visitor dies the visitor leaves and the host continues as per single-player.

Yup me, had fun. Thanks for the run through. I'm up for more if you are?

Edit: keep getting randoms, but it is was fun. I could get the main game and a headset for this. :)

Edit 2: thanks @Brute

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Don't turn this into a matchmaking thread. If that is popular enough, we'll look into a subforum like we have for Ninja Gaiden.

That said, I couldn't handle waiting to play the game so I downloaded it. To answer some questions in here ( @Tyaren @Fiend Busa ) there doesn't appear to be proper Pro support in the demo build. There are the options @ShinobiGuy mentioned but no 4K options.

I didn't find any special Revenants this time around, which is a bummer. I did find a Book of Resurrection in the Twilight mission that allows you to completely respec. The cool thing is that when you do it you get knocked down to level one. Might help crazy people like @DestructionBomb speedrun to a boss with a higher level character and then respec down to level one. As long as you don't overwrite your save you could conceivably do unarmed level one runs of the bosses without making it a slog to get to them. There are also a ton of crafting materials, including purple mats, but we're still pretty limited on what you can do with them in the demo.

Did anyone ( @DestructionBomb and @Brute in particular) have any luck finding Muramasa? You can seemingly accept a hidden sidequest by talking to whatsherface in the Blacksmith. If you keep talking to her you'll eventually get a few actually conversation choices and can look for Muramasa if you accept. I haven't found him anywhere so maybe you can't in the demo but if I had to guess, he'd be the one that gives you the 'Other Training' it mentions in the skill tree. Maybe that also leads to the pretty exciting Mystic Arts?

Side note, not sure why they decided to hide the names of skills. If people want to know the tree they'll just look online. Weird choice, that.

Ogress is actually a fun boss because she's hilarious easy when you stop being a fucking coward. Stay glued to her and hack away with no real risk if you're paying attention. I slaughtered her Twilight mode iteration (I did have to heal a few times but never died) by just staying on her. There are a couple attacks to watch out for but I usually just get distance and then rush her when she starts to close again. How cool is she visually, though? As you attack her more and more she dynamically creates some extra red lillies in the fight, as well.

Oh and hiding Onryoki in the demo as a surprise boss to finish the Twilight level was cool. If you intend to beat it you will run into him. Super easy fight without his wrecking balls, though.

EDIT: Still haven't done any co-op in this game in any of the builds we've gotten. I probably should but the game just feels better solo. I feel like co-op detracts from the fun in harder games. That's probably just me, though.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Anyone else find the first boss extremely easy? Like if you stay up in her face, she literally can't do shit lol.
I'm guessing you didn't read my post. She still can attack you a few different ways. She's more aggressive in the Twilight mission so give that a try. She still isn't hard but she can end you if you get caught out in some of her attacks.

Brute

Standard Donor
Did anyone ( @DestructionBomb and @Brute in particular) have any luck finding Muramasa? You can seemingly accept a hidden sidequest by talking to whatsherface in the Blacksmith. If you keep talking to her you'll eventually get a few actually conversation choices and can look for Muramasa if you accept. I haven't found him anywhere so maybe you can't in the demo but if I had to guess, he'd be the one that gives you the 'Other Training' it mentions in the skill tree. Maybe that also leads to the pretty exciting Mystic Arts?
Apparently I'm as asocial in video games as in life, as I never bothered to speak to the blacksmith beyond some soul matching items. Will ahve to check that out.

So, a few questions for anyone who can answer them.

1) Are the stat bonuses given by spirits only active when you are using the spirit, or are they passive 24/7?

2) Does anyone actually use the living weapon feature? I've not used it once in either demo.

3) Are the hidden skills in the skill trees available in the demo? I figured you'd clear them up by attaining enough respective stat points, but I ahve about 25 Heart now and skill all of the single katana's hidden skills remain hidden and unpurchasable.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Apparently I'm as asocial in video games as in life, as I never bothered to speak to the blacksmith beyond some soul matching items. Will ahve to check that out.

So, a few questions for anyone who can answer them.

1) Are the stat bonuses given by spirits only active when you are using the spirit, or are they passive 24/7?

2) Does anyone actually use the living weapon feature? I've not used it once in either demo.

3) Are the hidden skills in the skill trees available in the demo? I figured you'd clear them up by attaining enough respective stat points, but I ahve about 25 Heart now and skill all of the single katana's hidden skills remain hidden and unpurchasable.
1) They're always active.

2) I use it in my boss run. I'm uploading it (and a bunch of other content leading up to it) so I'll embed it once it's up. It's...not very useful, honestly. Just gives you a little free damage in much the same way as Ninpo in NG.

3) I think they're linked to Muramasa. There is definitely something to that. Maybe the second training mission but I haven't bothered.

EDIT: Mr. Wah is going to be hooking us up with a Nioh subforum. Once it's there I'll move this thread over and create a couple of extras (Co-op matchmaking for starters) and we'll be moving. I think this game is going to be pretty huge, especially around here.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Guess I'll be upgrading the Spirit stat after all.
Since I rarely use Living Weapon and it seems like you don't use it either, don't go beyond 11 or 12. You unlock all of the skills by then. I think one guardian requires 12. The rabbit, maybe? It tells you though.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD