Official Dead or Alive Xtreme Thread

otnesse

You know what's real FUCKED UP about this clip?

The fact they claim the game was lacking "mature women" and they go out of their way to steal one of Tina's victory poses as opposed to just putting Tina in there herself. If that isn't an insult to the fanbase, I dunno what is.

If they add Tina and the others within the next few months, I'm pretty sure I'll forgive that bit. Let's not forget, we've probably got three months before we're due for another add-on character (and hopefully it's one of the cut six).

Besides, that's not nearly as enraging as when they kept Tina's voice clips for Xtreme 3 yet not allowed her or the other cut six into the game, not even as DLC, all because of that stupid poll.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If they add Tina and the others within the next few months, I'm pretty sure I'll forgive that bit. Let's not forget, we've probably got three months before we're due for another add-on character (and hopefully it's one of the cut six).

Besides, that's not nearly as enraging as when they kept Tina's voice clips for Xtreme 3 yet not allowed her or the other cut six into the game, not even as DLC, all because of that stupid poll.
Well the game is aimed at the Japanese audience and unfortunately they don't like the mature older women much, even Helena if I recall had barely made the cut. They only added her since she's like the Lili of DOA, the whole European oujou thing saved her but I'm sure in X4 when they make the next big game that wont be enough to save her xD

Jadeinchains

Well the game is aimed at the Japanese audience and unfortunately they don't like the mature older women much, even Helena if I recall had barely made the cut. They only added her since she's like the Lili of DOA, the whole European oujou thing saved her but I'm sure in X4 when they make the next big game that wont be enough to save her xD

Actually lol the only reason Helena got into X3 was because western fans out smarted the poll and mass voted for her to get in, If they hadn't It was going to be Leifang that got in instead.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Actually lol the only reason Helena got into X3 was because western fans out smarted the poll and mass voted for her to get in, If they hadn't It was going to be Leifang that got in instead.
I thought Leifang didn't make it in because of complications regarding her voice actress.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh really?? Well that definitely shows Helena isnt really so popular, she didn't even get much pack in LR if I remember, her and Lisa were excluded from quite a lot of packs, Christie too which is a shame since I personally like Christie and felt she deserved more, but they seemed to do a good thing when gave her long hair in her latest DLCs XD

I'm sure Kasumi will soon fall a little in popularity too since her character type isn't all that anymore like it was years ago. Now it's about the lolis and the big titty cuties, the whole apologetic moe ninja thing Kasumi has going on is definitely not that major anymore, especially since she's the most mature 19 year old in DOA and Japan hates anything mature and western XD
I thought Leifang didn't make it in because of complications regarding her voice actress.
They'll probably replace her, but I'm sure TN was happy she didn't get in since that would have been a tough situation

Jadeinchains

Really? Can't say I've heard that before but maybe? I don't know why she'd be on the poll then though. Still she was set to be the ninth girl until people mass voted for Helena and she just beat her.

otnesse

I still doubt it. For one thing, DOA5LR's character roster, even if we limit it to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, had enough for 34 characters. That would have been more than enough to allow for all fifteen DOA girls to be utilized in Xtreme 3. And besides, if the mature characters, especially Tina, weren't that popular, please explain why they got loads of merchandising? Kind of pointless to grant them merchandising if they're unpopular. Heck, technically, Momiji and Nyotengu would have gotten the axe because they were too mature. Heck, the fact that Tina's voice is even IN DOAX3 shows that they actually could add in the cut six if they so wanted. Besides, there's a whole lot of problems posed with that poll, like the fact that Asia was barely even allowed time to vote, and the fact that Famitsu all but spoiled that Kasumi was going to be in the game in their first coverage of it, all before voting officially began.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I still doubt it. For one thing, DOA5LR's character roster, even if we limit it to the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, had enough for 34 characters. That would have been more than enough to allow for all fifteen DOA girls to be utilized in Xtreme 3. And besides, if the mature characters, especially Tina, weren't that popular, please explain why they got loads of merchandising? Kind of pointless to grant them merchandising if they're unpopular. Heck, technically, Momiji and Nyotengu would have gotten the axe because they were too mature. Heck, the fact that Tina's voice is even IN DOAX3 shows that they actually could add in the cut six if they so wanted. Besides, there's a whole lot of problems posed with that poll, like the fact that Asia was barely even allowed time to vote, and the fact that Famitsu all but spoiled that Kasumi was going to be in the game in their first coverage of it, all before voting officially began.
Nyotengu is popular because her design and attention whore nature are considered hot in Japan, she's an example of the type of mature girl they like although tbh besides appearance Nyo isn't that mature. She's pretty slutty, uses double entendres constantly, and she acts basically like how Lili does, which is arrogant, haughty and making herself seem bigger than what she is. Momiji is mature but she's a shrine maiden or Yamato Nadeshiko type, which Japan likes since she's like a perfect wife type and is composed. She's also pretty young and was already pretty popular in NG which is why she's also very popular. Tina got merchandising but that was before TN seemed to realize who was popular and who was not, since she too was excluded from packs in Ultimate but a lot less frequently since she's still a series staple. Ultimately tho she's not that relevant in Japan, she's considered old by their standards.

And well yeah... I mean Kasumi is the main heroine of DOA. She was gonna be in regardless XD It wasn't really a spoil since Kasumi will be top 3 no matter what poll she's in, although in 2018 that's up for debate since I feel she's beginning to lose a bit of popularity. Pretty soon Misaki, Luna, or maybe even Ayane may overtake her tbh

otnesse

Nyotengu is popular because her design and attention whore nature are considered hot in Japan, she's an example of the type of mature girl they like although tbh besides appearance Nyo isn't that mature. She's pretty slutty, uses double entendres constantly, and she acts basically like how Lili does, which is arrogant, haughty and making herself seem bigger than what she is. Momiji is mature but she's a shrine maiden or Yamato Nadeshiko type, which Japan likes since she's like a perfect wife type and is composed. She's also pretty young and was already pretty popular in NG which is why she's also very popular. Tina got merchandising but that was before TN seemed to realize who was popular and who was not, since she too was excluded from packs in Ultimate but a lot less frequently since she's still a series staple. Ultimately tho she's not that relevant in Japan, she's considered old by their standards.

And well yeah... I mean Kasumi is the main heroine of DOA. She was gonna be in regardless XD It wasn't really a spoil since Kasumi will be top 3 no matter what poll she's in, although in 2018 that's up for debate since I feel she's beginning to lose a bit of popularity. Pretty soon Misaki, Luna, or maybe even Ayane may overtake her tbh

Yeah, I'm sorry, but they would have sorted out who was popular a LONG time ago if they really were going by that, since merchandising sales even up to DOA5LR showed the likes of Tina, Mila, Christie, Leifang, and Lisa basically getting a lot of merchandising sales (and I'm not just talking action figures, BTW, I'm talking bathroom tapestries, buttons, wall scrolls, tote bags, the whole shebang.). If they truly weren't popular among the Japanese audience, they wouldn't have sold well at all among them, period, no exceptions. Had it been me in Team Ninja and those girls were truly unpopular, I'd stop marketing them as early as the early 2000s, just going by sales records from the Japanese side.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah, I'm sorry, but they would have sorted out who was popular a LONG time ago if they really were going by that, since merchandising sales even up to DOA5LR showed the likes of Tina, Mila, Christie, Leifang, and Lisa basically getting a lot of merchandising sales (and I'm not just talking action figures, BTW, I'm talking bathroom tapestries, buttons, wall scrolls, tote bags, the whole shebang.). If they truly weren't popular among the Japanese audience, they wouldn't have sold well at all among them, period, no exceptions. Had it been me in Team Ninja and those girls were truly unpopular, I'd stop marketing them as early as the early 2000s, just going by sales records from the Japanese side.
No, it just became more prominent, they used popularity to decide which girls would be in X3, theyre not gonna just not make merchandise for the other girls since that kills overall revenue. By having the most popular girls in X3, that makes sure that will get more sales, if they had only the less popular girls it wouldn't have sold much in Japan.

And times changed, back then they just included all the girls but for whatever reason they opted to make the most popular girls the roster which I feel is silly but for all we know they could've just been playing it safe since idk if TN has a budget like that to be adding all the girls but I'm sure they could if they wanted

otnesse

No, it just became more prominent, they used popularity to decide which girls would be in X3, theyre not gonna just not make merchandise for the other girls since that kills overall revenue. By having the most popular girls in X3, that makes sure that will get more sales, if they had only the less popular girls it wouldn't have sold much in Japan.

And times changed, back then they just included all the girls but for whatever reason they opted to make the most popular girls the roster which I feel is silly but for all we know they could've just been playing it safe since idk if TN has a budget like that to be adding all the girls but I'm sure they could if they wanted

Like I said, using sales figures is a good sign of popularity as any. If they used sales figures, they'd go by popularity either way (In fact, those products I cited that had Lisa, Christie, Mila, and Tina selling well? They were released around 2013, around the time DOA5LR was announced). And BTW, it didn't sell much in Japan. Or have you forgotten that DOAX3 is practically DEAD in Japan, didn't even allow for DLC of new activities or characters despite Hayashi literally promising that there would be that in the Dengeki PlayStation issue released upon the game's release in an article?

And I forgot to address the bit about Kasumi, which I will: If they want to reinforce the possibility that literally anyone could be cut, raise the stakes in other words, they shouldn't give her any focus on DOAX3's debut coverage in Famitsu at all.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Like I said, using sales figures is a good sign of popularity as any. If they used sales figures, they'd go by popularity either way (In fact, those products I cited that had Lisa, Christie, Mila, and Tina selling well? They were released around 2013, around the time DOA5LR was announced). And BTW, it didn't sell much in Japan. Or have you forgotten that DOAX3 is practically DEAD in Japan, didn't even allow for DLC of new activities or characters despite Hayashi literally promising that there would be that in the Dengeki PlayStation issue released upon the game's release in an article?

And I forgot to address the bit about Kasumi, which I will: If they want to reinforce the possibility that literally anyone could be cut, raise the stakes in other words, they shouldn't give her any focus on DOAX3's debut coverage in Famitsu at all.
I know it didn't sell well Japan, but it would have sold worse had they used less popular characters. Also Japan isn't too big on console games I believe either which is another factor

And that coverage was just a WIP. It didn't really guarantee her or the game since they said they would only make it if there was interest in it

otnesse

I know it didn't sell well Japan, but it would have sold worse had they used less popular characters. Also Japan isn't too big on console games I believe either which is another factor

And that coverage was just a WIP. It didn't really guarantee her or the game since they said they would only make it if there was interest in it

I know if I were an editor of Famitsu or, heck, even a TN executive, I'd make SURE the coverage did not cover even a finger of any of the girls, let alone Kasumi, specifically to ENSURE the votes are fairly gotten and not manipulated. Not take any chances at any possible vote manipulation, in other words.

And as far as less popular characters, I still fail to see how Tina and Leifang, who BTW actually got a LOT of merchandising sales, including actually being included in various trading figures, would have qualified as "unpopular." Maybe Lisa, Christie, and Mila, and to a certain extent Rachel would have qualified to some extent (though even the latter was added in via fan request, so I'm pretty sure she actually was popular, certainly popular enough to be fan-requested), but not those two.

I know handheld games are pretty big in Japan, but I'm pretty sure that console games are still a force to be reckoned with if the Switch and PS4 are of any indication.

Jackie Chan Fan

I guess one of the reasons for cutting the roster for DOAX3 is primarily, limited budget, due to development on two systems. Even though we all know that Vita is not a high system-seller like the PS4, I guess Team Ninja still developed on Vita since, as mentioned in the previous post(s), it's popular in Japan. Every development effort is doubled since it has to be created and tested on PS4, then Vita.

Are the character models in DOA5 ported to DOAX3? Or they are recreated? Or just improved?

Aside from cutting Leifang and the rest, my only gripe with DOAX3 and its spinoff is that it is "dominated" by, for me, a non-DOA character (sorry, Marie fans). I mean, Dead or Alive is created and well-known for its female characters with "healthy breasts" and a certain height but the most popular one doesn't have those two qualities. It feels like DOA has a guest from the Atelier series.:)

Sometimes, I envy the Senran Kagura series, not because it does what Dead or Alive can't but because the most popular characters, at least from this link's poll, is a "Senran Kagura-like" character.:)
http://senrankagura.wikia.com/wiki/Senran_Kagura_Character_Popularity_Polls

Mirai only topped the 3DS poll. I guess it's because of the kiddie image of the system. hahaha

otnesse

I guess one of the reasons for cutting the roster for DOAX3 is primarily, limited budget, due to development on two systems. Even though we all know that Vita is not a high system-seller like the PS4, I guess Team Ninja still developed on Vita since, as mentioned in the previous post(s), it's popular in Japan. Every development effort is doubled since it has to be created and tested on PS4, then Vita.

Are the character models in DOA5 ported to DOAX3? Or they are recreated? Or just improved?

Aside from cutting Leifang and the rest, my only gripe with DOAX3 and its spinoff is that it is "dominated" by, for me, a non-DOA character (sorry, Marie fans). I mean, Dead or Alive is created and well-known for its female characters with "healthy breasts" and a certain height but the most popular one doesn't have those two qualities. It feels like DOA has a guest from the Atelier series.:)

Sometimes, I envy the Senran Kagura series, not because it does what Dead or Alive can't but because the most popular characters, at least from this link's poll, is a "Senran Kagura-like" character.:)
http://senrankagura.wikia.com/wiki/Senran_Kagura_Character_Popularity_Polls

Mirai only topped the 3DS poll. I guess it's because of the kiddie image of the system. hahaha

I don't mind Marie Rose too much (though that being said, I really wish she didn't act like a little kid, and while, Phase 4 aside, this can be said of most of the newcomers in DOA5U onward, we don't really get any story for her at all in-game. Heck, even with the few hints we DO get of the new girls regarding their online bios, not counting the XVV girls, Marie Rose literally has nothing story-wise to justify her continued existence. All we know about her is that she's a servant of Helena Douglas and might be a frenemy of Honoka. That could just as easily be as story relevant as Helena Douglas's own bathing habits for all I care. Honoka at least has hints at being connected somehow to Raidou (not to mention the fact that the latter is, you know, back from the dead Vader style), and by extension to Ayane, and Nyotengu at least has a potential rivalry with Ryu Hayabusa relating to his killing a certain Tengu earlier. Even Phase 4 at least had her beating up Bayman and giving him his scars, not to mention her obviously being the latest rendition of the Kasumi line of clones for some story-relevance (sure, it's not much regarding those three, but it's still a heck of a lot more than what Marie Rose currently has. Even Tina at least has her desires for stardom that changes on a dime as some story relevance, not to mention actually training Mila and being a friend of Lisa Hamilton). Marie Rose, sad to say, really doesn't have that kind of story relevance.), but I do agree, shilling for Marie Rose gets a bit annoying (it also doesn't help that she comes across more as a "creator's pet" thanks to Hayashi admitting she's his favorite character). While Honoka and Luna admittedly are also fairly short, at least they have "healthy breasts" as you put it, so they at least match up with the well-known Dead or Alive standard.

But hey, I also would be angry if Marie Rose had been cut from the game as well, because my concern is that they even cut characters out at all. There was zero need to cut them out. Besides, considering they did release Tamaki, a mature female, I'm pretty sure we'll get the chance for the cut six soon enough.

So far as whether they ported it or not, while they do obviously make use of the built-in engine for that game, I'd have to say it's more likely that they largely ported the models, then tweaked them a bit to have them work with the game's engine. Heck, the overall environments were reused from Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I don't mind Marie Rose too much (though that being said, I really wish she didn't act like a little kid, and while, Phase 4 aside, this can be said of most of the newcomers in DOA5U onward, we don't really get any story for her at all in-game. Heck, even with the few hints we DO get of the new girls regarding their online bios, not counting the XVV girls, Marie Rose literally has nothing story-wise to justify her continued existence. All we know about her is that she's a servant of Helena Douglas and might be a frenemy of Honoka. That could just as easily be as story relevant as Helena Douglas's own bathing habits for all I care. Honoka at least has hints at being connected somehow to Raidou (not to mention the fact that the latter is, you know, back from the dead Vader style), and by extension to Ayane, and Nyotengu at least has a potential rivalry with Ryu Hayabusa relating to his killing a certain Tengu earlier. Even Phase 4 at least had her beating up Bayman and giving him his scars, not to mention her obviously being the latest rendition of the Kasumi line of clones for some story-relevance (sure, it's not much regarding those three, but it's still a heck of a lot more than what Marie Rose currently has. Even Tina at least has her desires for stardom that changes on a dime as some story relevance, not to mention actually training Mila and being a friend of Lisa Hamilton). Marie Rose, sad to say, really doesn't have that kind of story relevance.), but I do agree, shilling for Marie Rose gets a bit annoying (it also doesn't help that she comes across more as a "creator's pet" thanks to Hayashi admitting she's his favorite character). While Honoka and Luna admittedly are also fairly short, at least they have "healthy breasts" as you put it, so they at least match up with the well-known Dead or Alive standard.

But hey, I also would be angry if Marie Rose had been cut from the game as well, because my concern is that they even cut characters out at all. There was zero need to cut them out. Besides, considering they did release Tamaki, a mature female, I'm pretty sure we'll get the chance for the cut six soon enough.

So far as whether they ported it or not, while they do obviously make use of the built-in engine for that game, I'd have to say it's more likely that they largely ported the models, then tweaked them a bit to have them work with the game's engine. Heck, the overall environments were reused from Dead or Alive Xtreme 2.
Honoka and Marie Rose aren't frenemies. People take the English dub version of their tag pose and think Marie Rose hates her or is jealous when they obviously haven't seen the Japanese translation angle to see why she reacted the way she did xD

UpSideDownGRUNT

The DOAX3 models are different, not by much though but skin textures are improved, faces have been reworked entirely and everyone has bigger or smaller breasts to be more accurate to their profiles.(example Ayane's breasts are way bigger in X3/VV then DOA5)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD