DOA5LR Online Beta Test for Steam, from 6/24 to 6/30.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Good news and bad news

Good News: I can set it to nearby and get a match

Bad News: Now the online feels like PS3.

Randzz

Good news and bad news

Good News: I can set it to nearby and get a match

Bad News: Now the online feels like PS3.
Uh, hoo-ray? You still get disconnects &/or crashes? I'm leery of even trying the thing now on Steam. Checking out Evo anyway. Those Ai Ai Juri matches.... my god.

Last edited:
I have crash dumps as well but no experience when it comes to programming for windows. Anyone with more windows dev experience know if a .dmp minidump would be useful enough to isolate the cause of the crashes?

Does anyone know what is causing the development issues to begin with? Are they stuck with other projects that unexpectedly used up the time they needed for the steam version? If you look at other recent KT games such Toukiden on steam, it's a bit of a rough port but it's a fully functional copy of the PS4 version, and the few bugs that slipped through got patched quickly. But with DoA they don't bother to sell the recent DLC's or even commit to finishing the game. It's quite different from just shipping a less than fantastic port

WisperG

Does anyone know what is causing the development issues to begin with? Are they stuck with other projects that unexpectedly used up the time they needed for the steam version?

I'm thinking they just don't have a lot of people working on it, with most of Team Ninja focusing on future projects. The PC version kind of felt like an afterthought to begin with, like they realized "oh, people want a PC version?" and then they scrambled to throw one together but weren't given enough time to do it well, beyond making the game run fine (offline, at least).

I'm thinking they just don't have a lot of people working on it, with most of Team Ninja focusing on future projects. The PC version kind of felt like an afterthought to begin with, like they realized "oh, people want a PC version?" and then they scrambled to throw one together but weren't given enough time to do it well, beyond making the game run fine (offline, at least).
I don't get it though, they make a decent effort to promote DoA in general. If you ran out of time and staff, the appropriate action would be to use external contractors or developer teams to cover the shortfall. They seem unaware of how much damage they are doing to their DoA, TN and KT brands. Due to being long term fans of the game people here are much more tolerant compared to the average consumer.The sentiment among users on general gaming sites, forums and social media is a disaster.

They're becoming quite infamous, the damage goes far beyond the 40-50,000 people that bought the game. If I were to ask people that I know on steam what they thought about KT, their general impression is it's a company that sold a broken and unfinished game and refused to fix it. The other week I saw people talking about wanting the new one piece game, then when they realized KT was developing it they lost interest and abandoned plans to preorder it. DoA seems to be their highest profile game in the west.

The people that actually bought it but don't post here are even more disgruntled, some tried to get refunds but were denied. Others are becoming convinced that it was an elaborate scam and they never intended to finish the game. If they don't calm them down somehow there is a risk they will seek refunds using more unpleasant methods than the steam refund button, in the EU this could quickly become a mess.

Then you have the people who live in China, Russia and other places that have limited access to consoles. At least US and JP people can still just get a console copy if they want to play it badly. People in these places can't do anything so they're even more furious, I have seen chinese users calling them racist, others demanding valve take action against KT and prohibit them from releasing new games until they deliver on the games they already sold. Even in Australia the PS4 isn't popular enough to for me to play regularly, the first week of the beta with only 2000 players I had more luck getting matches near my region than I have on PS3 or PS4. If the PC version isn't fixed properly I doubt I will have much chance to play the game in the future.

Randzz

I don't get it though, they make a decent effort to promote DoA in general. If you ran out of time and staff, the appropriate action would be to use external contractors or developer teams to cover the shortfall. They seem unaware of how much damage they are doing to their DoA, TN and KT brands. Due to being long term fans of the game people here are much more tolerant compared to the average consumer.The sentiment among users on general gaming sites, forums and social media is a disaster.

They're becoming quite infamous, the damage goes far beyond the 40-50,000 people that bought the game. If I were to ask people that I know on steam what they thought about KT, their general impression is it's a company that sold a broken and unfinished game and refused to fix it. The other week I saw people talking about wanting the new one piece game, then when they realized KT was developing it they lost interest and abandoned plans to preorder it. DoA seems to be their highest profile game in the west.

The people that actually bought it but don't post here are even more disgruntled, some tried to get refunds but were denied. Others are becoming convinced that it was an elaborate scam and they never intended to finish the game. If they don't calm them down somehow there is a risk they will seek refunds using more unpleasant methods than the steam refund button, in the EU this could quickly become a mess.

Then you have the people who live in China, Russia and other places that have limited access to consoles. At least US and JP people can still just get a console copy if they want to play it badly. People in these places can't do anything so they're even more furious, I have seen chinese users calling them racist, others demanding valve take action against KT and prohibit them from releasing new games until they deliver on the games they already sold. Even in Australia the PS4 isn't popular enough to for me to play regularly, the first week of the beta with only 2000 players I had more luck getting matches near my region than I have on PS3 or PS4. If the PC version isn't fixed properly I doubt I will have much chance to play the game in the future.
To your second paragraph: That's dangerous for KT/TN.

On the PC, KTs games have always been, what I consider mutts (I.E.: some portions coming from the console versions of the games, others done for the PC). I don't know if maybe it's a cultural thing (Japan supposedly loves their consoles, especially handhelds. Here in the U.S. of A I can't name you the last time I saw someone with a handheld, we're into Phone apps & PC games) or what.

For myself, I was psyched on getting the PC version when I heard of it (note the past tense). I'm almost next to never on any of my consoles these days. My home set-up being what it is, I can only be online with 1 thing at a time, so the PC version would be optimal... if it would work properly. I also have the distinct feeling that KTs/TNs competitors are looking at how good/bad DoA5LR is doing for the PC version & taking notes before deciding on making their games (SC, Tekken, VF) for PC one way or another. I'm more excited about SFV on PC these days, simply on the cross-play aspect with the PS4 version, & I haven't been excited about a SF game in years.

This is just pathetic on KT/TNs part on the PC port. I can only hope that it's not a complete ghost town by the time they fix the online portion.

To your second paragraph: That's dangerous for KT/TN.

On the PC, KTs games have always been, what I consider mutts (I.E.: some portions coming from the console versions of the games, others done for the PC). I don't know if maybe it's a cultural thing (Japan supposedly loves their consoles, especially handhelds. Here in the U.S. of A I can't name you the last time I saw someone with a handheld, we're into Phone apps & PC games) or what.

For myself, I was psyched on getting the PC version when I heard of it (note the past tense). I'm almost next to never on any of my consoles these days. My home set-up being what it is, I can only be online with 1 thing at a time, so the PC version would be optimal... if it would work properly. I also have the distinct feeling that KTs/TNs competitors are looking at how good/bad DoA5LR is doing for the PC version & taking notes before deciding on making their games (SC, Tekken, VF) for PC one way or another. I'm more excited about SFV on PC these days, simply on the cross-play aspect with the PS4 version, & I haven't been excited about a SF game in years.

This is just pathetic on KT/TNs part on the PC port. I can only hope that it's not a complete ghost town by the time they fix the online portion.
The issue with this isn't just that it's a bad port, the problem is they have been deceptive too many times now. When I buy a game at launch with $250 worth of extras it's expected the developer will continue to support the game within reason of their abilities. But that is not what is happening. Basic multiplayer features have been scrapped post launch, DLC is basically useless online. They are refusing to let steam users buy individual outfits, season passes and no longer even bother to release recent DLC on steam.

So I have a $300 copy of DoALR that cannot play online, can't buy dlc and nothing from them indicating they are even remotely interested in working on the unfinished game.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
This game on steam is finding new and exciting ways to fuck with me. Just as I am about to win with Ein the fucking game crashes. 3 times in a row. Do you have any idea how hard it is for a Christie player to outwit someone with fucking Ein?

EDIT: Now this fucking game started crashing on me on PS4.

EDIT 2: I got cheated out about 20 matches tonight. I'm done.

Last edited:

FakeSypha

I checked the PC version last night. I went to training. Enabled throwdowns so I could get some online matches. Right away after character and stage select the game crashed. Launched the game again, and same thing happened. I had to revert the beta patch...

So anyway, I tried to play some matches on PS3 but it's quite dead. Well, it's even more dead than It used to be in my country/region.

CGS713

Online working better for anyone lately? I opted in about a week ago and had no luck when searching same/nearby.. any crashed the game.

Last night however while playing arcade with the option to accept matches on I had about 15 challenges/matches with 3 or 4 ppl within 1 to 1-1/2hrs. It was a surprising and fun experience.

The quality was very good imo compared to the major lag I get when playing online via XB1; virtually no slow down at all and only had 1 connection error during 1 of the matches that made me restart the game.

I was actually trying to do the final boss fight of MGR Revengeance with DOA being a warm up but after a few matches I was having so much fun I stuck w/ it to see if the challenges would keep coming, and they did. Going to give it another shot tonight :)

lastly, any news on when online mode will be officially complete?

WisperG

That's interesting. I haven't tried in a while. Maybe I'll hop on later and see if it's running better for me too.

They still haven't said anything on the online patch since the delay.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD