Online is dying out??

extravagant

Is it me or is there a decline of challengers? Compared to like, October and November there was a lot more players.

I just got back from a long break and I see that there are literally no more players online now. Where did they go? Anyone having this problem?

I'm from the West Coast... California of the states

Is it me or is there a decline of challengers? Compared to like, October and November there was a lot more players.

I just got back from a long break and I see that there are literally no more players online now. Where did they go? Anyone having this problem?

Where in? For what it's worth, Cali has a growing offline scene as well. But yes, there are fewer online players on the whole.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Florida player, here. I still see plenty of lobby matches up on Xbox Live. Ranked goes on and off. Sometimes I can find ranked matches fairly quickly, other times I'll be searching for eons. I never find anyone when searching for a simple match though.

I can't comment on the reliability of throwdowns though, as I don't play Arcade, Time Attack, or Survival and I don't enable throwdowns when I'm training.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Throwdowns give you more matches .. but the problem is that they don't undergo the filter system ..
meaning, you will still play shit rank ..(you cant tell what rank the opponent is)
and you will still be paired with shit connections .. (it may say 5 when its a 1 )

but still its much better than just waiting for a ranked match in the lobby.

Raansu

It's dying because unlike doa4 launch there is no longer a fighter drought and doa5 is hardly a solid fighter. Most people are going back to other fighting games that are actually good.

d3v

It's dying because the people who should be helping the community would rather sit on the forums and bitch about shit. Fun fact, a good number of the top played fighting games have a shit ton of problems and aren't as fundamentally sound as you'd think they are. The difference is that we actually go out and play these games despite the number of problems we have with them.

PJudge

It's definitely dying from my perspective. I was sat there for what must have been nearly ten minutes (at least three cycles of that damn song) with my search set for F to S rank an Any on everything and I still had no challengers (UK player btw). It's a little annoying just because DOA is a fairly solid fighter in my eyes, but I think with the release of a lot of other big games it's not going to have a lot of returning players for a while. Maybe in the summer drought some people will trickle back.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
It's definitely dying from my perspective. I was sat there for what must have been nearly ten minutes (at least three cycles of that damn song) with my search set for F to S rank an Any on everything and I still had no challengers (UK player btw). It's a little annoying just because DOA is a fairly solid fighter in my eyes, but I think with the release of a lot of other big games it's not going to have a lot of returning players for a while. Maybe in the summer drought some people will trickle back.

U added me but I never see you online dude ..
I can even introduce you to good online locals :)
(offline in the works too will update soon :) )

I think theres plenty of lobby play .. just that most guys have made their friends and just set them up to private.
I know I do this as well.I just hate having some laggy dude walk into my room and ruining the fun for everyone and then not being able to kick the bastard till its next match ..

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I think theres plenty of lobby play .. just that most guys have made their friends and just set them up to private.
I know I do this as well.I just hate having some laggy dude walk into my room and ruining the fun for everyone and then not being able to kick the bastard till its next match ..
This ^

It's pretty much people I've met through ranked matches and became friends with. I'll then proceed to play in the lobby the whole night because it's more fun. I'll only fight ranked matches if no one else is on.

Snipa

I am a UK (PS3) player and it is definitely hard for me to find either A) a game with good connections or B) ranked/quick matches within 15-20 minutes or more than 1 lobby.

I was a diehard DOAU2 and DOA4 online player, played online tournaments as much as possible and even online ranked ladder games on sites like gamebattles.

Back then i could sit and play all day everyday with new or old players and did for probably a year or so no problem, but ive had DOA5 since release and it feels like it came out 3 years ago and another DOA title has been released.

Maybe there's something wrong with the searching code and im not finding people or there really is not as many people as i expected there to be after all this time, for this reason i probably put the game in once a week if that at the moment as its just a struggle finding games.

Is the 360 version more active? or the same?
Maybe i need to add more people whom play the title and see how things go instead of joining random games.

Leifang2000

I think the main reason is the online pass.
On PS3, online is quite dead until recently with the launch of PSV version which does not require an online pass, the online is back in healthy mode again.

synce

@snipa
Can't speak for EU but in the US the 360's online was way more active on release day when I still had both versions. I last played a month ago on 360 though and it was dead except for a few familiar faces.

I also recall DOA4 having a much longer lifetime but back then I think it was the only 3D fighter on 360 for a good while. Now if someone plays DOA5 and doesn't like it they can sell their online pass and go play Tekken or SF. There's also the issue of splitting the fanbase across two consoles. I hope with DOA6 it's at least a timed exclusive to PS4.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I still get matches quite frequently when I decide to play online on 360, and that's with connection and rank filters on. On PS3 I notice I wait a bit even with no filters on. I have to re-start the search a lot too.

PJudge

U added me but I never see you online dude ..
I can even introduce you to good online locals :)
(offline in the works too will update soon :) )

That's just because I only added you the other day, and I've been out of town/at work the last few days. I hop on DOA in between other games, but I doubt I'll be on much for the next week or so as I'll be isolating myself with Bioshock.

Of the few matches I have played since the update, they weren't too bad, I just need to get on it a bit more really. I've not been in the strongest of DOA moods recently.

DR2K

Lobbies are busier than ever, I can get a full room almost anytime on PSN. Match making is busted for ranked, even when you find a good match some players will skip the match to perserve their E-Penis.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor

What part of California do you live? We have a offline scene going on in both NorCal and SoCal. Also if you want to ever get matches in just add me.

Omegan Eckhart

I barely even play the game any more due to the extreme lack of online players. I put the game in every once in a while but there is so few people playing I give up and remove the game after about 20 minutes.

I'm almost tempted to put in SSFIV, I heavily dislike the games fundamentally flawed system but at least there are always lobbies available. DOA5 has been out for 6 months and online is already a ghost town. Maybe it's just a European thing, I'm sure there are more American lobbies.

Ghosty-J

Online is as dead as a nail on the PS3 end. I'm not getting any matches anymore. Not in Ranked, not through Throwdowns, and most definitely not through Simple. Which is why I migrated to lobbies in order to get in a quick game. Even then I hardly get good results. I would be better off making my own lobbies if only people showed up. With that said, I'm beginning to reconsider resurrecting the FSD Open Lobby thread so all of us PSN players can get a good session going.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD