Opinion: Top Players! (And those who feel like I do...)

Vincent Rayne

I regular 8Wayrun since i was a competitive Soul Calibur player before DOA and the DOA5 thread there is quite active and helpful. Mr. Wah, Emperor_Cow are regulars there. and even BlackMamba came to visit which surprised me cause i didn't think he'd have an 8WayRun account (but i did see him playing Soul Calibur 5 at SCR).

But i do feel like there needs to be more of an offline scene created for DOA5. I would like to get one started for the SoCal players but the only game place i know of is at Triple Crown that me and Hajin been to several times. But even there the televisions aren't a 100% free all the time. sometimes they are taken up and it's hard to tell if they're gonna be free ahead of time or not.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
You learn from fighting. If people come to fight me they will learn.

If you do anything else, you're just ripping off someones vids and trying to apply their tech without understanding why it works in the first place. Kind of like every other Bayman player I run across who have copied my setups but can't apply them nearly as well.

I hate to say it again, but Yomi cannot be taught and it's still the majority of this game. You could try reading some of Sirlin's stuff and it would be better than anything I could teach you, but it still won't get you where you need to go. You HAVE to do that on your own.

lripthejackerl

My two cents:
I started playing DOA (competitively) in DOA4. I couldn't decide which character to actually invest time into and learn. One day in a lobby I saw someone use Ayane and I was like Wow! I have to learn her. So I added that person to my friend's list. I asked him to help me learn Ayane. Now he didn't show me EVERYTHING he knew, he just showed me the basics, enough to get my started. Point being, you shouldn't expect "Top" players to just hand you all of their knowledge, they took the time and effort to learn the character, so should you.

Secondly, I've never really been big on forums and looking up frame data etc. I just learn from watching other players and honestly from getting my ass kicked, no..I'm serious.

My point in all of this is, if you what to learn a character, go do the homework. Look up combo videos, frame data, BnB tutorials. Also if you play online, find people that play that character and ask them to help you and show you some things. But don't go into the mindset thinking that they are going to teach you everything they know. You have to do your part. Just ask. There are lots of players out there (myself include) that are more than willing to help.

FakeSypha

I'm not sure anyone should expect some top player spoon-fed you all the highplay info, tips and strategies they use for their main characters. I mean, these guys go and participate in offline tournaments (with money prices). By this I don't mean they only play for the money, but then traveling around and dedicate the time to stay 'competent' doesn't seem to be cheap either. So, maybe some of them don't wanna go shouting or spreading their gameplay strategies that 'openly' (ie, in a forum).
Sure, this could be considered selfish, but it's up to them if they wanna share their knowledge/experience with lesser experienced players. Nobody has the obligation to do so, yet doing some teaching (to people willing to participate in the offline scene) could be rewarding to the competitive community. I mean, could encourage and foment the offline scene that If I have to guess it's currently a bit small.
Of course, then you have a bunch of capable good players that create guides and share advice with all the community. This kind of stuff is also created in collaboration with input of various players and compiled by a few. I think there is a lot to do in these aspect, but it's worth to mention there are also good peeps sharing useful stuff in most of the character sections of the forum.

Also, I'd like to bring a personal experience in this matter. Like a year ago or so, I was playing DOA4 (my first experience with any DOA online). Maining a a terribad Christie. Trying to get better at the game in general. Then Awesmic showed up, and help me a lot in improving my Christie and to get a better understanding of the game in general. Then was up to me to practice and 'evolve'. I am a fail as a student because I still suck at Christie lol, but the guy showed me his ways when I didn't asked for it. If he isn't the coolest guy I've met here, I'm not sure who the hell that'd be. Thanks Awesmic xD

Excuse any grammar error, please.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
i would like to play against some kasumi, kokoro players

Shade Swifteye and Blackberry come to mind. Though Kasumi players are a dime a dozen tbh.

Back when DOA 4 did not have any good Bayman players, the very few I could find in the early days were too dull witted to actually teach me anything, but most of them have at least one good parlor trick they based their strategy around. I figured out that the best way of finding new tech wasn't to ask them to teach me it, but rather to forge my own tech and fight them so that when I saw what they were doing it was immediately apparent to me and I could instantly steal it.

Reach an understanding of things on your own, and when you fight an opponent who deviates from what your own routine, it becomes very easy to notice and steal what works. Over time, this is how you build your own armory of parlor tricks and tactics.

Vincent Rayne

Shade Swifteye and Blackberry come to mind. Though Kasumi players are a dime a dozen tbh.

Back when DOA 4 did not have any good Bayman players, the very few I could find in the early days were too dull witted to actually teach me anything, but most of them have at least one good parlor trick they based their strategy around. I figured out that the best way of finding new tech wasn't to ask them to teach me it, but rather to forge my own tech and fight them so that when I saw what they were doing it was immediately apparent to me and I could instantly steal it.

Reach an understanding of things on your own, and when you fight an opponent who deviates from what your own routine, it becomes very easy to notice and steal what works. Over time, this is how you build your own armory of parlor tricks and tactics.
or you could just face someone in some casuals because you are interested in how a certain character is played well.

the best way to learn is from other people. because what you said about taking what you see works well. that's what all competitive gamers do though. so it's a given.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
or you could just face someone in some casuals because you are interested in how a certain character is played well.

the best way to learn is from other people. because what you said about taking what you see works well. that's what all competitive gamers do though. so it's a given.

It should be, but here we are.

Bakano

So there's big money on the line here.

Out of curiosity, how is educating my enemy going to improve my chances of beating them?

I certainly didn't get any handouts back during DOA 4. Hell I was the ONLY Bayman player in DOA 4. And if you approach me, I feel like I'm pretty generous as to how much I'm willing to educate. But come on now, do your own work. I have very little sympathy for the laziness going on here. You all expect us to do it, why can't we expect the same from you?
The reason why you want to educate your enemy is because if you don't you will have no enemies to fight against in future tournaments. I agree with this thread.One of the big reasons Capcom fighting games are so big today is because of all the effort the top players have made, helping people get better and sharing all their knowledge to bring in new comers that have no clue where to start and would only get so far without professional help.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The reason why you want to educate your enemy is because if you don't you will have no enemies to fight against in future tournaments. I agree with this thread.One of the big reasons Capcom fighting games are so big today is because of all the effort the top players have made, helping people get better and sharing all their knowledge to bring in new comers that have no clue where to start and would only get so far without professional help.

Those who actively seek me out get help. But comn, I'm not Jesus.

Vincent Rayne

wait a second. that whole, "giving away you strategies" argument is invalid because i know 2 of the top players in Soul Calibur would always train with each other, using their mains of course, to practice. you don't have to say how to use a certain character or how to face a certain character or person when you go up against them on a daily basis. but that still doesn't fully affect a tournament or it's outcome. only those two people have experience against each other and there are still dozens of other entrants in the tournament.

i think it's great to have some to teach you how to play a character. I faced someone in kokoro mirror matches and the person said he wanted to get better and one day beat my Kokoro. That is the best kind of motivation I can think of. What better way to get better in a game than have a rival. Both people are making themselves better to contend with each other and also in turn are getting better overall in the game.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Well i don't hide tech....I'm willing to talk Zack anyone willing to listen. There isn't many Zack. There were not that many besides 2 in 4. You gotta work to get what you want in today's world, but that doesn't mean no one can help you out if you're stuck. So people like ap, ryujin, and hoodless can't help me out all because I'm not on their level? Bs man. Rikuto helps me out too. SR helps me out too. I can go on for days. We need to develop a family here instead of trying to divide us. MK community is a family. Persona community is a family. KOF community is a family. Skullgirls community is a family. Why can't we work together people?
This is the havik I wanna know.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD