Opinion: Top Players! (And those who feel like I do...)

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
If you were to retire the game, it wouldn't be a big deal. NOD Subway wrote an excellent guide on Tengu after he retired DOA4, it was also very entertaining and I learned things about Tengu I never knew was possible.

But isn't the best way to learn outside of being spoon-fed by experts and watching tutorials to just take your beatings until you get better? Me and Awesmic have some great fights, he never really taught me anything; I just took my beatings and began to progress. Now we have some awesmic fights in between other fights, and SOME lab work.

Still would love to fight Lopedo. I'm a fan.

Julius Rage

If you were to retire the game, it wouldn't be a big deal. NOD Subway wrote an excellent guide on Tengu after he retired DOA4, it was also very entertaining and I learned things about Tengu I never knew was possible.

But isn't the best way to learn outside of being spoon-fed by experts and watching tutorials to just take your beatings until you get better? Me and Awesmic have some great fights, he never really taught me anything; I just took my beatings and began to progress. Now we have some awesmic fights in between other fights, and SOME lab work.

Still would love to fight Lopedo. I'm a fan.

Everybody learns different and if I had a choice I'd like a community that caters to everybody preference.

lopedo

Everybody learns different and if I had a choice I'd like a community that caters to everybody preference.
If I had a choice people would learn how to play video games they want to be competitive in without me spoon feeding them everything.

lopedo

It's actually a WE thing. We all carry the weight and if everyone is willing to do we all end up doing less than we otherwise would have.

It's a video game to me, not a job. I'm not going to try to, be the, care about or otherwise cater to lazy people who refuse to do their own homework on how to play this game.

Julius Rage

It's a video game to me, not a job. I'm not going to try to, be the, care about or otherwise cater to lazy people who refuse to do their own homework on how to play this game.

You win man. Youre Just Here to get a paycheck.

Hopefully you realize how you're going about it is slashing zeros off that badboy.

shunwong

My opinion: I have learnt more about general fighting game theory here at FSD than anywhere else. I have learnt it because the top players (Rikuto, Wah, even Lopedo, as abrasive as he might be, etc.) make a HUGE effort to get the message across, trying to explain what makes a good competitive game and what makes...DOA4. I'm still amazed they even try, when this is the kind of answer they get most of the time. People throwing it in their face...

Personally, I can only say: Thanks guys, keep trying, some of us are listening. The more I read your posts the more I kill the scrub in me.

lopedo

My opinion: I have learnt more about general fighting game theory here at FSD than anywhere else. I have learnt it because the top players (Rikuto, Wah, even Lopedo, as abrasive as he might be, etc.) make a HUGE effort to get the message across, trying to explain what makes a good competitive game and what makes...DOA4. I'm still amazed they even try, when this is the kind of answer they get most of the time. People throwing it in their face...

Personally, I can only say: Thanks guys, keep trying, some of us are listening. The more I read your posts the more I kill the scrub in me.

DOA is nowhere close to general fighting game theory.

WebHead

tekken fans are as clueless as mazda drivers switching lanes at a red light to line up beside a modded mustang, u guys know what im sayin?

Tones

Premium Donor
I disagree with OP. Most (not all though) of the veterans are very open. Every character forum has a top move list so you are wrong.

Sure we're not all going to reveal our tech, you must understand that a lot of us are also trying to keep competitive. Though it is a mindset behind the an exact tech and I don't see anyone with credit holding back on explaining the mindset.

90% of my Lisa advice is 6pp(p)/3p(p), and you can read all about why I say that's her best tech but that will never sink in until you have good experience using it. It is extremely solid, but there other techs are not as solid which will only ever work once or twice per game (not round) which I will barely ever preach because it will only play into my game, my mind set, how I think DOA5 + Lisa should be played.

If a scrub start spamming it online it will not work at all. They will loose. They'll scrap the tech, and come back to the forum to try to find something else that works. Until they create solid fundamentals and a solid character base, the fancy 10% icing on the cake tech, once or twice per game tech, will just go over their heads.

Creating solid fundamentals and a solid character base means, get good at what you initially know. Example... If I was to start playing Hayate in 5.3, something I'm actually considering, I'd look at it like so: Okay, he's got mixups going for him, a few easy launchers and is good with his sidestep. I'd just keep it to that and 1 or 2 juggles. For every 3-5 hours of offline verses I may add/find an extra set up or juggle. After 20-30 hours of playing him I'd have a decent Hayate because it he's based on real experience rather than theory from a forum.

I think the real issue is, a lot of people don't know who's who and who's at what level... Who's words have more weight to it than others.

Another thing as well, being good competitively and having a wealth of character/game knowledge aren't the same. Yes they relate. But they ain't the same. If are the same then all the worlds boxers holding titles would be in their 90s. But they ain't are they?

DOA is nowhere close to general fighting game theory.
It is actually, things are just prioritized differently because of the different factors.

My Tekken 5 knowledge... 1. spacing 2. playing safe (This means blocking as well jabs and mids are on par>all else) 3. bnb combos 4. ground game 5.set ups

DOA 5.... 1. playing safe (due to throws) 2.set ups (think counters, think throws) 3.bnb combos 4.spacing 5. ground game.

DOA's counter has a similar function to GG's Burst system. Simularities = initially used while on the defensive to turn defensive/offense around, deny damage, break rhythm, both can be baited and countered for a good amount of damage. Differences = Special meter, limits to how it's used.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
If you want to see an example of someone helping, take a gander at the Akira forums and let me know what you see. I feel like I'm the only one willing to help people learn how to play him.

MasterHavik

SR says you're good, but why haven't you gone to any majors for DOA?

Virtua Mima

I dont think he's asking to be "spoon fed" all the tricks of the mighty experts of doa. He just wants more DOA content to be available online to the players who are really serious about it. Other fighting communities do it too and he was inspired by that. I don't see why it's wrong for them to want to create and use shortcuts... doesnt make them lazy. They want to learn more but they don't know how, thats it.

GLoRToR

No. Learn your own shit. Go spend hours figuring it out. Then feel free to teach this lazy community.
Let's get your facts straight then, because clearly you can read but there are problems with your attention span and comprehension.
1. To prove my dedication I went and made a full, formatted, colourised breakdown of my main character, to begin with.
2. I never asked anybody to play the game for me. I asked the community for support. The lazy community you were talking about, which also bothers me.
3. If you want to play a fighting game at a high level, you need game data. Every other game has the characters' frame data in open space except for this one, so lazy community is right, yet again.

Like Vincent said: If you have nothing intelligent or constructive to say, post a funny gif and go back to TYM.

GLoRToR

I dont think he's asking to be "spoon fed" all the tricks of the mighty experts of doa. He just wants more DOA content to be available online to the players who are really serious about it. Other fighting communities do it too and he was inspired by that. I don't see why it's wrong for them to want to create and use shortcuts... doesnt make them lazy. They want to learn more but they don't know how, thats it.
^ Yes.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD