DOA5LR PC: General Modding Discussion

The Enforcer

Since I've been digging into file data again.

Question for @immi or @bbb : Have either have you resolved the pattern for Alpha 152's colors. I noticed there are six values per costume. I can't tell what kind of RGB order they are in. I also see that each set of 4 bytes ends in a 3D-40. I've tried mixing them, but I can't seem to get anything consistent in terms of predicting results.

bbb

Since I've been digging into file data again.

Question for @immi or @bbb : Have either have you resolved the pattern for Alpha 152's colors. I noticed there are six values per costume. I can't tell what kind of RGB order they are in. I also see that each set of 4 bytes ends in a 3D-40. I've tried mixing them, but I can't seem to get anything consistent in terms of predicting results.

I never really looked into it. I was trying to find a way to fix the crashing caused by the ---C file when used on non alpha models. the new colours just came by accident when trying to figure that out. I tested it a bit by mixing and the colours came out by random. I didn't notice any pattern.

The Enforcer

I never really looked into it. I was trying to find a way to fix the crashing caused by the ---C file when used on non alpha models. the new colours just came by accident when trying to figure that out. I tested it a bit by mixing and the colours came out by random. I didn't notice any pattern.
Nice, did you end up posting those at all? I wouldn't mind comparing the ---c files at least.

immi

haven't really spent much time experimenting with those. haven't found a pattern either.
it's been a while since I looked at this stuff, but from my notes:
after 05 00 00 00 next 9 float(?) value determine color, first two are always the same, 3rd: amount of shinyness??, rest??

i took the files that bbb posted and trimmed them to that structure of 9 float values and the result stayed the same, so i think that structure is more or less correct.

immi

looking at this with a fresh mind after a little break appearently helps ;)

Alphas .--c @offset 0x40:

0x40: 04 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 80 3E 00 00 80 3E
0x50: 00 00 C0 3F 00 00 80 3F 00 00 00 3F 00 00 00 00
0x60: 66 66 66 3F 66 66 66 3F CD CC CC 3E 00 00 00 00
0x70: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

- v1=0.25 v2=0.25 pattern distortion
- brightness/shinyness*=1.5 (higher values means darker)
- red=1.0, green=0.5, blue=0.0 diffuse color
- red=0.9, green=0.9, blue=0.4 spec color

*there is probably a more accurate term for this

//edit: the values above will give you "lava alpha" ;)
lava_alpha.jpg

Last edited:

The Enforcer

That's amazing, @immi Definitely what I was looking for.

I had the right values in mind for the 2 RGB sets at least, just didn't know the order. One thing I still don't understand about hex though. How do you convert the 80 3F to 1.0 The initial conversion I tried for float was a weird result.

It would be nice to look at Paint get the (255,255,255) value and convert it properly, but even that would be (FF,FF,FF) for example and is only one byte a piece instead of the 4 assigned for the float.

immi

what hex editor are you using? there is usually some option to display/input a 4byte value as float.
or you could go to sth like:
http://www.exploringbinary.com/floating-point-converter/
(check precision==single, output->hexadecimal)
note that when you convert for example 1.0 to 3f800000, it will appear as 00 00 80 3f in your hex editor, ie the are bytes reversed.
( because we save data with a different byte order than what our processors use. apparently somebody thought confusing people is a lot of fun :p)

i am not completly sure about the value range. some experimentation is needed ;)
the distortion doesn't really change for values above 1.0, while the shinyness is usually between 2.0-3.0
i have seen the colors go up to 10.0, so they are not limited to just [0.0, 1.0]

Last edited:
Ideas:

Doubling the amount of hair when hair is worn loose (some people make cruel jokes about the girls going bald).

Increasing resolution of sand/dirt/mud textures aplied to bodies.

Increasing particle count.

bbb

@immi -

Nice find for the colours :)

btw, do you know if its possible to enable solo stages to be playable in tag mode?

The Enforcer

That was killer in and of itself, immi, Thanks!! I used a script to convert the values. I found the 255 didn't work for max values so I treated 1 as a max value and then for any values less than the max I divided by 255 to keep in the proper ratio. Pretty much everything turned out as expected, although is there any known way for altering effects colors, or did everyone disable/ignore that?

Wes, are you just making suggestions or asking how? Most of that isn't possible yet.

Alpha 152 Sample. Blue, Deep Blue, Pink, Teal, Silver (More like Glass though)

Alpha152Sample.jpg

immi

btw, do you know if its possible to enable solo stages to be playable in tag mode?
no idea, wouldn't even know where to start looking :/

That was killer in and of itself, immi, Thanks!! I used a script to convert the values. I found the 255 didn't work for max values so I treated 1 as a max value and then for any values less than the max I divided by 255 to keep in the proper ratio. Pretty much everything turned out as expected, although is there any known way for altering effects colors, or did everyone disable/ignore that?
i think there is a tmc/tmcl that contains the effects, though i haven't looked into those in detail.
that seems to works on a per-character basis though, not specific to a costume slot.
these tmc don't seem to have names in archivarius (at least not in the .dat file that I have)
but for alpha look here:
2FH7_3@BG]]02{OF1BD133K44A0C << tmc
BFH8_3@C]]I03{OG1BF1033E44A0C << tmcl

with lnk_reshuffle you can find these by filtering for the file type:
- set FilterMode to everything and enter: .type:0x27 (and 0x28 for the tmcl)

xDevious

Standard Donor
Has anyone got a slightest clue about music replacement modding yet? I'm dying to replace Collapse with Phase 4's original Japanese Trailer Theme.

bbb

@immi -

I tried looking if there was some sort of on/off switch for that in stage TMC, but didn't have any luck.

immi

Has anyone got a slightest clue about music replacement modding yet? I'm dying to replace Collapse with Phase 4's original Japanese Trailer Theme.
no need to die :p. just a little patience. i (hopefully) have something tomorrow ...-ish (unless some steam sale gets in my way)
extracting works (not for everything though), and replacing seems to work as well...
and there is no checksum/crc annoyance here, so it works with the vanilla steam version
we probably just need some crowd sourcing to figure where among those cryptic files in the DATA/ dir is what music/voice

@immi -
I tried looking if there was some sort of on/off switch for that in stage TMC, but didn't have any luck.
given that TN seems to like to put a lot of the config data into the .exe, there is probably a good chance that this is true here as well

xDevious

Standard Donor
no need to die :p. just a little patience. i (hopefully) have something tomorrow ...-ish (unless some steam sale gets in my way)
extracting works (not for everything though), and replacing seems to work as well...
and there is no checksum/crc annoyance here, so it works with the vanilla steam version
we probably just need some crowd sourcing to figure where among those cryptic files in the DATA/ dir is what music/voice
Lol, figuratively speaking, of course.. XD I'm just obsessed with her Original Theme, and I want it so badly, lol. I've tried to look into it, but I have not got a single clue on how to find the right files. Even if I did, I doubt I know how to replace/open them.. XD

bbb

given that TN seems to like to put a lot of the config data into the .exe, there is probably a good chance that this is true here as well

I've never had any success hacking an exe, so I guess with the no new gothic character, that's another DOA dream crushed :(

The Enforcer

@immi I finally started messing with the game.exe

Per some posts from a while back, you suggested changing the E0 flag to C0 to prevent the check sum stuff. I attempted switching the offsets of one characters hair style to that of another. The game didn't launch, so I want to see if I'm thinking the same values you mentioned. I updated target character's offset in the char_common.lnk and then changed the compressed values to that of the other hairstyle. I also updated the compressed sizes in the game.exe for the target tmc / tmcl file as well. After that I changed the E0 to C0 for each which was 3 bytes to the right of the compressed size. Is that what you were referring to, or a completely different location to disable the check completely for the file?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD