Senran Kagura Series

Jadeinchains

There was apparently 100 new screenshots uploaded to gematsu so here's a couple!

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_103.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_048.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_069.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_070.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_093.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_100.jpg_600.jpg

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
There was apparently 100 new screenshots uploaded to gematsu so here's a couple!

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_103.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_048.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_069.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_070.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_093.jpg_600.jpg

Senran-Kagura-Peach-Beach-Splash_2017_03-08-17_100.jpg_600.jpg
Ryona, Kagura, Yuyaki and Rin look good...and is that the headmaster??? 0_o He's uh.....pretty rip....never mind, I like how the game looks XD

Juihau

"NewTube"
Well, it could be sillier. It could be, like, a boob joke or something.

It's a boob joke. One of the Japanese words for breasts, 乳, can be pronounced 'nyuu.' This is, of course, homophonic with the English word 'new' when rendered in kana.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
You guys think that Hanzo guy will be a secret unlockable character like Sayuri just with no actual clothes removal??

Chapstick

Well, it could be sillier. It could be, like, a boob joke or something.

It's a boob joke. One of the Japanese words for breasts, 乳, can be pronounced 'nyuu.' This is, of course, homophonic with the English word 'new' when rendered in kana.
I see now that there are boob shapes around the logo so that makes sense

Juihau

Plenty, actually, depending on where you look. The series has always been real big on wordplay, even if it's been a bit more...lowbrow of late. Here, lemme walk y'all through some of my favorites.

The very first game, titled 少女たちの真影 (shoujotachi no shin'ei) had a pretty big pun in its title. 真影 (shin'ei) normally means 'portrait,' so the title was typically translated as Portrait of Girls. In fact, however, the word shin'ei is written with the kanji shin, meaning something that is true or genuine, and kage, meaning shadow. Because of that, it can also be interpreted along the lines of "the girls' true shadows," or "girls of the shadows." This is where its official localized title, Skirting Shadows, comes from. Of course, it also gave us the classic 死の美 (shi no bi), pronounced identically to the word shinobi and meaning "the beauty of death."

The second game, Burst, was a bit more straightforward. Its title, 紅蓮の少女たち (guren no shoujotachi) would mean "girls of the crimson lotus," and is where its official localized title, Crimson Girls, comes from. However, it also gave us 紅蓮の焔 (guren no homura), or Crimson Homura. This name can be rather playfully interpreted as referring to red lotuses dancing as if they were flames.

Shinovi Versus was...y'know, a game about shinobi. On the Vita. Shinobi Vita. Shinovi. It...didn't have much else that I can recall. Its official localized subtitle was Proof of Life, though. Because...y'know, boob jokes.

Deep Crimson stepped it back up with the wordplay, though. For starters, its Japanese title, 真紅 (shinku), is a combination of the first kanji from both guren and shin'ei, as this is the game in which the two teams work together. It also gave Asuka an equivalent form to Crimson Homura, known as 真影の飛鳥 (shin'ei no asuka), or Deep Shadow Asuka. This, of course ties, back to shin'ei and guren coming together to become shinku, and like Guren no Homura, Shin'ei no Asuka can be playfully read to mean "a portrait of a bird in flight." If you pair these two together, they also go crazy with the wordplay in their intro, and there's no way I could get to all of it.

Estival Versus is, similar to SV, kind of lacking in the wordplay department. Estival is an actual word, though, meaning something that has to do with summer, so there's that. One of Kagura's intro lines has her say "arata na sekai he izanau," though. Izanau is an antiquated verb meaning to invite someone, and is the root of the names Izanagi and Izanami, the two gods who are said to have created Japan, and after whom Kagura has two attacks named. She also mentions Yamata no Orochi when using her ultimate, Susano'o. Of course, that's not so much a pun as it is just a reference to the legend of the eight-headed snake Orochi and the warrior who slew it, Susano'o.

There is of course, also the name of the series itself, 閃乱カグラ, Senran Kagura. Senran is a play on the word 戦乱 (also senran), meaning war, but the first kanji is replaced with 閃, meaning flash, while the second kanji means rebellion or revolt. 神楽 (kagura) is a form of traditional Shinto dance; the idea of combat being a form of dance is pervasive throughout the series, and this is likely where it comes from. As a whole, though, the series' title is quite a bit harder for a novice like me to interpret. I think it could be taken to mean something like "an instantaneous dance of death," or "a quick, rebellious dance," but I'm not 100% on that.

...Sorry. For as much as I seem to bitch in here, I do legitimately enjoy the series and get super into it, as you can see. These may be games for pervs, but they're games for the thinking perv.

And for the curious, Kagura's line that I mentioned translates to "I invite you to a new world."

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Plenty, actually, depending on where you look. The series has always been real big on wordplay, even if it's been a bit more...lowbrow of late. Here, lemme walk y'all through some of my favorites.

The very first game, titled 少女たちの真影 (shoujotachi no shin'ei) had a pretty big pun in its title. 真影 (shin'ei) normally means 'portrait,' so the title was typically translated as Portrait of Girls. In fact, however, the word shin'ei is written with the kanji shin, meaning something that is true or genuine, and kage, meaning shadow. Because of that, it can also be interpreted along the lines of "the girls' true shadows," or "girls of the shadows." This is where its official localized title, Skirting Shadows, comes from. Of course, it also gave us the classic 死の美 (shi no bi), pronounced identically to the word shinobi and meaning "the beauty of death."

The second game, Burst, was a bit more straightforward. Its title, 紅蓮の少女たち (guren no shoujotachi) would mean "girls of the crimson lotus," and is where its official localized title, Crimson Girls, comes from. However, it also gave us 紅蓮の焔 (guren no homura), or Crimson Homura. This name can be rather playfully interpreted as referring to red lotuses dancing as if they were flames.

Shinovi Versus was...y'know, a game about shinobi. On the Vita. Shinobi Vita. Shinovi. It...didn't have much else that I can recall. Its official localized subtitle was Proof of Life, though. Because...y'know, boob jokes.

Deep Crimson stepped it back up with the wordplay, though. For starters, its Japanese title, 真紅 (shinku), is a combination of the first kanji from both guren and shin'ei, as this is the game in which the two teams work together. It also gave Asuka an equivalent form to Crimson Homura, known as 真影の飛鳥 (shin'ei no asuka), or Deep Shadow Asuka. This, of course ties, back to shin'ei and guren coming together to become shinku, and like Guren no Homura, Shin'ei no Asuka can be playfully read to mean "a portrait of a bird in flight." If you pair these two together, they also go crazy with the wordplay in their intro, and there's no way I could get to all of it.

Estival Versus is, similar to SV, kind of lacking in the wordplay department. Estival is an actual word, though, meaning something that has to do with summer, so there's that. One of Kagura's intro lines has her say "arata na sekai he izanau," though. Izanau is an antiquated verb meaning to invite someone, and is the root of the names Izanagi and Izanami, the two gods who are said to have created Japan, and after whom Kagura has two attacks named. She also mentions Yamata no Orochi when using her ultimate, Susano'o. Of course, that's not so much a pun as it is just a reference to the legend of the eight-headed snake Orochi and the warrior who slew it, Susano'o.

There is of course, also the name of the series itself, 閃乱カグラ, Senran Kagura. Senran is a play on the word 戦乱 (also senran), meaning war, but the first kanji is replaced with 閃, meaning flash, while the second kanji means rebellion or revolt. 神楽 (kagura) is a form of traditional Shinto dance; the idea of combat being a form of dance is pervasive throughout the series, and this is likely where it comes from. As a whole, though, the series' title is quite a bit harder for a novice like me to interpret. I think it could be taken to mean something like "an instantaneous dance of death," or "a quick, rebellious dance," but I'm not 100% on that.

...Sorry. For as much as I seem to bitch in here, I do legitimately enjoy the series and get super into it, as you can see. These may be games for pervs, but they're games for the thinking perv.

And for the curious, Kagura's line that I mentioned translates to "I invite you to a new world."
@ me XD

Jadeinchains

I check out Senran international a couple of times and I saw that there was new cards for new wave and Matsuri got one!

Even the Senran characters drink starbucks! Matsuri needs to get into pbs!
Matsuri_UR_1.jpg

miyodarius

It would be cool if we made a petition for it, both companies would probably be open to it if got enough support :cool:
I would signed that petition in a heartbeat. But I don't think petitions work that much anymore, if we had to give our support it would have to be to the next level.
But seeing a dead or alive style fighter with Senran Kagura graphic style animation would be pretty awesome

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I was signed that petition in a heartbeat. But I don't think petitions work that much anymore, if we had to give our support it would have to be to the next level.
But seeing a dead or alive style fighter with Senran Kagura graphic style animation would be pretty awesome
I'll probably tweet them about the idea, DOA would look so cute if all the girls and guys joined Ayane in the SK engine, they could make it a SK style fighter where you can move around a large arena, and square could be light combos, triangle could be heavy attacks instead of breach arts, and and the parry could be the hold Mechanic but they could add more SK style depth. Also instead of ninpos they could implement throws and level three ninpos could be replaced with PBs and could only be used when on low health

miyodarius

I'll probably tweet them about the idea, DOA would look so cute if all the girls and guys joined Ayane in the SK engine, they could make it a SK style fighter where you can move around a large arena, and square could be light combos, triangle could be heavy attacks instead of breach arts, and and the parry could be the hold Mechanic but they could add more SK style depth. Also instead of ninpos they could implement throws and level three ninpos could be replaced with PBs and could only be used when on low health

Just being clear, I thought we meant a Senran Kagura 1v1 style fighting. I can already see Katsuragi being a Strong grappler character. With a move called...
The grope of doom!

But a Dead or Alive game with free run fight style, that would be cool too. But I would want the graphics to be unchanged. I like the DOA style to stay the same.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Just being clear, I thought we meant a Senran Kagura 1v1 style fighting. I can already see Katsuragi being a Strong grappler character. With a move called...
The grope of doom!

But a Dead or Alive game with free run fight style, that would be cool too. But I would want the graphics to be unchanged. I like the DOA style to stay the same.
An SK vs. DOA title I'd love to see, but what I mean is that they could make a collaborative game where SK renders all the characters in their engine and does a noncanon story for the game in SK style visual novel and then has a set up like EV

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD