So how do you play this game?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Stupid questions get stupid answers. Someone like you who supposedly been playing doa for this long, and other fighting games should know better than to ask such a strict question and given your history you honestly expected to be taken seriously? You can't expect to ask "how you play doa" without giving people anything to go by. Like said every character play and tackles the system differently. We can't guess who you use, or what your issue is with the game. If you wanted to be taken serious you would have provided more logical information. I have not seen even the average noob do this.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Well, if you could fucking read, you'd notice that I never asked how to play DOA, I asked how to play DOA5U. Which, no, I'm not experienced in, seeing as how the game has only been out a week and I've played it for much less. How many times on DOA5 streams did you hear "So and so is playing DOA4, not DOA5"? That's the kind of difference I'm asking about but, it seems that in eight pages of responses, only one person on this entire forum can read.

Saber

Let's see...

DOA5 you go for sitdowns, wall slams...any kind of unholdable stun, really. Throw punish unsafe moves. Oh, and force techs.

DOA5U...is fundamentally the same, but it's also different. The new Bound state hardly makes a difference because only a few select benefit from it (Kokoro gets a free P+K~66P+K P+K P+K off of a Bound). You still fish for unholdable stuns and throw punish unsafe moves.

What has really changed is the ground game due to the removal of untechables (attacks that hit the opponent at the same frame they hit the ground).

This especially gives the defender perhaps too many options over the attacker, because you can't guarantee the removal of the dreaded wake up kick. And with this universal nerf, the pressure/rushdown game is severely lowered. Rachel is at a huge advantage because she has the one thing the rest of the cast doesn't - a FT game.

So how does someone go about it? Pseudo force techs are still in, meaning you'll probably find a move that techs the opponent up if they stay on the ground, but at the same time leave you at an advantage if they do tech. Or for the safer route, end your combo with an attack that has good knockback.

That's pretty much it. I hope this answers your question.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Well, if you could fucking read, you'd notice that I never asked how to play DOA, I asked how to play DOA5U. Which, no, I'm not experienced in, seeing as how the game has only been out a week and I've played it for much less. How many times on DOA5 streams did you hear "So and so is playing DOA4, not DOA5"? That's the kind of difference I'm asking about but, it seems that in eight pages of responses, only one person on this entire forum can read.

So then you are asking stupid questions like how does bounds and power launchers work in doa5u even though bounds are not that much different from vf or tekken? Even though tutorial mode teaches you how? Reading didn't fail me logic failed you. At the end of the day doa is doa. Just like vf is vf and tekken is tekken. In doa5u all we are doing are learning old characters new moves and set ups along with rebalancing and new characters. You are learning to take advantage of bounds and power launchers and doing less low holding. No one misread you. You are the one being fucking stupid.

Saber

So then you are asking stupid questions like how does bounds and power launchers work in doa5u even though bounds are not that much different from vf or tekken? Even though tutorial mode teaches you how? Reading didn't fail me logic failed you. At the end of the day doa is doa. Just like vf is vf and tekken is tekken. In doa5u all we are doing are learning old characters new moves and set ups along with rebalancing and new characters. You are learning to take advantage of bounds and power launchers and doing less low holding. No one misread you. You are the one being fucking stupid.
But he's not. In fact, what's false is the fact that you imply 5U revolves around Bounds and Power Launchers, when they can hardly make a difference.

A lot of people actually misread grap3, but only because they don't know the core elements of DOA5U gameplay.

Bounds add something to the game, but it's not a game changer. The only thing it does is that it offers CONSISTENT damage everytime you land one, and is independent of Critical Level (meaning the same follow up can be used regardless of how far you are in threshold) In that sense, it differs from a launcher, which is dependent on CL. Not every character makes good use of them as well (Hitomi and Momiji don't even need or have any use for Bounds).

Power Launchers only ever pay off on CH/Hi-CH, and only if you can land it consistently. Right now, no reason to use them over Power Blows, not to mention PBs can lead to special danger zones which also potentially lead to more follow-ups.

Like I said, DOA5U is fundamentally the same as DOA5. You still try to land unholdable stuns to guarantee a launch, you can still opt for the option to play the stun game, you can knock back and use the environment as your main damage dealer, you still throw punish unsafe moves...

The only thing that has changed is removing FTs across the board. Nerfed rushdown game really hurts everyone since it was one of the few ways to actually get frame advantage and continue offense.

The nerf wouldn't be so bad if more characters other than a very select few had proper frame traps to really put the defender at a corner, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

To me, at least, that's the main thing that separates 5 from 5U, which is more than enough to change the metagame.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
But he's not. In fact, what's false is the fact that you imply 5U revolves around Bounds and Power Launchers, when they can hardly make a difference.

I never said power launchers and bounds revolves around the game. I was stating some of the new things added to 5U and was showing how it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Obviously you read way too much into something so simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WHY!? said:
I'm not worrying about anything. I'm simply point out the discrepancies in your claim. You could stun launch in DoA4 as well, you just got a basic juggle out of it just like in 5.

-The same applied to both 3.1 and 2U. What differs in 5U and the games listed above, is the higher launch height that is achieved. Couple that with stuns being divided into sections(unholdable, non struggable, only struggable and only holdable), the stun game is not the same. If you would like to talk about reaching threshold, 5U differs with the use of critical bursts + power blow...actually rewarding the stun game with heavy damage.

Raansu

-The same applied to both 3.1 and 2U. What differs in 5U and the games listed above, is the higher launch height that is achieved. Couple that with stuns being divided into sections(unholdable, non struggable, only struggable and only holdable), the stun game is not the same. If you would like to talk about reaching threshold, 5U differs with the use of critical bursts + power blow...actually rewarding the stun game with heavy damage.

The same definitely did NOT apply to 3.1 and 2U. And CB is just an extra hit in the stun game. Nothing really changed. It's just another mix up in an already heavily guessing stun game.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
WHY!? said:
The same definitely did NOT apply to 3.1 and 2U. And CB is just an extra hit in the stun game. Nothing really changed. It's just another mix up in an already heavily guessing stun game.

-How the same do not apply? In 2U and 3.1 a stun launch is virtually the same as it is in 5U. You can argue that the launch is lower, but you can also argue that juggles reach far lower to the ground than either 2U or 3.1. Also if you do not know, the threshold system was in both 2U and 3.1. How it was in DOA4(was forced to play the threshold game) was how both 2U and 3.1 were "supposed to be played"(by Itagaki standards), however we competitve players went for stun~mid launcher(throw mixup) cause it was the most efficient and effective use of the system. 5U is even more like 3.1 and 2U...than DOA4, by how stuns are used. In both 2U and 3.1 there were stuns that could not be held out of, or could not be critical held until a certain amount of frames have passed. This is the same exact system being used in 5U. So I am not seeing how 5U's stun system is like DOA4's, when it is leaps and bounds superior.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD