So how do you play this game?

MrMoon360

Dude...I'm not a grap3 fan. But you can't say something like that. He has said DOA 5 sucks, but he hasn't said anything bad about %u yet so you can't assume. This community does that a lot of people and also has a gut reaction to people who don't praise the game. Why does this community make it goal to silence people who say something bad about DOA?
Holy SH*T!
I sounded just like you about 3-4 weeks ago.
You're right. I can't make the assumption that someone doesn't like DOA5U.
But this fallacy ends up being reasonable, concerning grap3: If DOA5U isn't DOA3.1 incarnate, plus a change to holds, stun, the system over -- he doesn't like it and will troll it.

I have nothing against treating people with a different opinion fairly.
Grap3fruitman is a special case I assure you.

I hate Rikuto for being right 99% of the time.

MasterHavik

Holy SH*T!
I sounded just like you about 3-4 weeks ago.
You're right. I can't make the assumption that someone doesn't like DOA5U.
But this fallacy ends up being reasonable, concerning grap3: If DOA5U isn't DOA3.1 incarnate, plus a change to holds, stun, the system over -- he doesn't like it and will troll it.

I have nothing against treating people with a different opinion fairly.
Grap3fruitman is a special case I assure you.

I hate Rikuto for being right 99% of the time.
Oh yeah I know how grap3 is a special case.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
If DOA5U isn't DOA3.1 incarnate, plus a change to holds, stun, the system over -- he doesn't like it and will troll it.
Again, here's people literally making shit up. Where have I been hating on this game? PLEASE POINT IT OUT.

I made a thread to ask how to properly play this game, because when I do I just revert to DOA4, but I can't get any straight answers.

Grap3 asked a legit question, and got some useful responses. He decided it was more fun to start acting trolly, and got trolly responses in turn.
Seems pretty typical.
Could you point out the "troll-y" responses? Or someone else, since you don't like to "get into it" with me.

I've literally had 5U's training mode open for the last few hours. I'm struggling with this game but people seem to enjoy it so I'm clearly missing something, which is why I started this thread, but everyone just wants to be an asshole.

MasterHavik

I told you what I do man. I don't know everyone else. Also have you heard of the throw reset thing Rikuto has been talking about on facebook?

Chapstick

Again, here's people literally making shit up. Where have I been hating on this game? PLEASE POINT IT OUT.

I made a thread to ask how to properly play this game, because when I do I just revert to DOA4, but I can't get any straight answers.

Could you point out the "troll-y" responses? Or someone else, since you don't like to "get into it" with me.

I've literally had 5U's training mode open for the last few hours. I'm struggling with this game but people seem to enjoy it so I'm clearly missing something, which is why I started this thread, but everyone just wants to be an asshole.
Try the tutorial mode. It takes you through the fundamentals.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
However, the tutorial is missing some things, such as describing different types of unholdable stuns and strict conditions where you can force tech the opponent (or when lows register as force techs on the opponent instead of a down attack).

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Read the OP, I don't want DOA fundamentals. I want DOA5U specifics.

If I played any of you guys right now, you'd say I was playing the game all wrong. That's what I want to alleviate.

MasterHavik

However, the tutorial is missing some things, such as describing different types of unholdable stuns and strict conditions where you can force tech the opponent (or when lows register as force techs on the opponent instead of a down attack).
i notice that too. They also take 10 years to explain how SS works too.

Read the OP, I don't want DOA fundamentals. I want DOA5U specifics.

If I played any of you guys right now, you'd say I was playing the game all wrong. That's what I want to alleviate.
Add me.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
You want to know how to play the game? Strikes beat throws, throws beat offensive holds and defensive holds, and OH and DH beats strikes. See you just learned something new.

On the other hand, grap3 did you know hitting your opponent guaranteeds damage? Everyone can do it.

Now if you still need help learning the game then play tutorial mode.

chocogerman777

The low level of reading comprehension in this community is frightening.
It's been 7 pages and no one has been able to answer your question..
Not trying to be rude, but maybe you're better off watching how the pros will be playing 5U at tourneys instead of asking here..because this topic is going nowhere.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I made this thread specifically asking how to use all the new tools effectively, yet you seem to reading posts I never wrote.

Please point to a single post where people are breaking down DOA5U for me

Please let me know where all these experienced DOA5U vets are. Vets for a game that has been out for less than a week.

---

Where you have tunnel vision: Focusing on what's not there instead on everything that is there.

You sure did use a lot of words to say nothing.

---

You asked a very vague question "How do you play this game?", you give no frame of reference on your skill level or your understanding of the mechanics of the game to those who do want to help you, so people have to just guess at what you may or may not know. Then you complain that their information didn't help you, but do so in a way that makes it sound like you feel their efforts are a waste of time. Then ask why it is people aren't responding to you, and only you, in a professional and logical manner and blame it obviously on the "DOA COMMUNITY" for just not getting it.

It was brought up before, but you dismissed it as well. If you're looking for something more than just the base system mechanics, you have to give a character you're looking to play to learn how they work within the system, and you would play this game with that character. Because, unlike DOA4, there are characters that function differently at a fundamental level.

You could have a character that is effective in a stun - launch game such as Akira or Sarah, you have a character that is effective at a poke throw game such as Bass, you have a character that plays the DOA4 system such as Eliot, you have a character that is effective with zoning, knockback, and wall damage such as Leon and Hitomi, and you have a character that is effective with zoning and stun - launch such as Ayane. The list goes on, and you can't expect people to give you the answers you seek when you give them vague questions to answer.

It's no secret the game borrows from Virtua Fighter a lot, that includes its mid/throw heavy mixup game. You'll generally be mixing up between a mid hitting stun/launch, and a standing throw.

Side stepping is two-dimensional in that there are attacks that track or don't track instead of having a semi-circular tracking because frankly that level of detail might be too much for many considering the fast pace of the game and the number of strings a character has, and even then some non tracking attacks have a semi-circular property to them but it's generally only on air attacks such as Eliot's 6H+K or Hayate's 3H+K because the attacks have multi-hit properties in the air, so you can evade the first hit and get hit by the second depending on which way you step.

The game is heavy on throw punishment after guarding, which is why you see many attacks be within the -5 to -12 frame range because throws are in the 5-12 frame range and are the fastest moves in the game barring holds. Which throw you use is based on your positioning in the environment, and the character's specific throw in the certain situation.

You'll get some chunk of damage with throw punishment and launch/stun>launch juggles, but generally you'll see many players trying to punish with strikes because performing a full threshold launch can give the maximum and best damage - as a reward for playing the mix-up game successfully. It's really up to you about how you want to play, and how your character best fits the role you're looking to play.

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Okay, for frame of reference: I played Hayate in DOA5. He wasn't great there but I had an idea of how to get some damage from him. In U, he seems off. They seem to have taken away his sit down stun off of P+K and only given him some parlour tricks in return. Now, don't take that as complaining, it's not. I'm merely stating that for these reasons, I can't play him the same way, hence why I need to know how to play this game; DOA5 Ultimate. It's led me to try other characters but I'm having difficulty finding a good one because I don't know what the new effective stuff in this game is.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That bound with Hayate's P+K now guarantees 3_PP 33KK.

Right now my best suggestion would be Akira if you're looking for a DOA3 like Hayate. He has very high normal hit launchers and stun launchers. He can also take the advantage very easily, and his :P: is +1 on guard so it's a nice poke. He is very technical though.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I personally don't care to share how I feel about the game in majorly big threads like these because of discussions like these. However, a lot of folks are trippin out for no reasons at all. They act as if DOA5U isn't a whole new fighting game compared to 5. Every time I would go to a Kasumi, Hayate, Pai or Ayane thread, even now, there's complaints. Only character thread that I've been in with folks working together & not bitching & complaining are Momiji players (Shout outs to AP, Tenryuga, Jin Masters, Keylay, UprisingJC, Shade Swifteye, HajinShinobi, & Momiji players & others for digging deep & not complaining). Like damn. Hayate players are bitching about how good DOA4 Hayate was but not realizing that Hayate is a viable character in 5U. The dude does hella damage with a very good H+K turnaround stun with some bounds like SS P that gives some sick juggles off of it. Kasumi players are just as bad. Yes, Kas lost some great tools like 66KK & 4H+K SDS, but 66K~K & 4H+K are still viable moves. 4H+K is still one of the best tools that she has even in a bound state. Yes 6K can be shaken, but she's still that bitch that's controlling the pace of the fight & making you guess a lot of the times. Her +10 46T even helps her keep up her pressure game. Ayane players used to complain about 3H+K until the new 3H+K 66 FC 66KK4 BT 7K was found. She also has a good option from 3H+K 4P ~K once it connects with the wall.

Yes, we've all lost great tools but you have deal with what you got & look to new stuff. You don't hear me crying about it. All characters except for new ones & the ones they've brought back took some hits. As for the mechanics, I like them. I personally think it's a great game. Sounds like people are sobbing about what they had & being lazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
In regards to the post above, I'm going to reiterate that the cumulative reading comprehension leven on this forum is deplorable.

Chapstick

http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...training-suggestion-for-aspiring-players.166/

Read through that if you really do want to know how to play. I know it was written for DOA4 so before you say "I want 5U" keep in mind that guide works for 5 and 5U as well.

If you really want to use Hayate again, you can look through his changes in 5U in this thread:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/hayate-in-doa5u.2926/

The first two pages aren't that helpful as it was mostly pre-game speculation mixed with complaining, so skip to 3 or 4. There's a big combo list on page 5 having to do with his bounds and juggles.

Pretty much all the character subforums have a thread or two for the characters in Ultimate. If you want to know how a certain character should be played, first read the official thread they have for 5 (Keep in mind some characters don't have one) then read through the changes to that character in the Ultimate threads so you know how to adapt that style to this specific game. It's a lot of time and effort, but you have the resources if you want to use them. I hope this helped somewhat. Good luck with DOA5U.

LoK N Ki

I may be in the wrong here, but i don't think Grap3fruit needs a rundown of the basics of DOA.
But wants to know what are effective and usefull (universal)strategies, techniques and playstyles that are reliable and can be trusted upon. Though DOA5U isn't fleshed out yet. But i may be wrong...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD