So how do you play this game?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, I main Kokoro and she lost pretty much all her guaranteed sit down stun stuff. She can still early launch for guaranteed damage, but that's not really the point 'cause she could always do that.

EDIT: She has some really good bound stuff, but it doesn't do nearly as much as her old sitdown stuff did.

MrMoon360

So how am I supposed to fish for damage in this game? What kinds of things should I be doing?

That seems to be a loaded question.

Are you unfamiliar with DOA5 in general? There are tutorials from Emperor Cow and an in-game tutorial if you can't understand controls.

That's the thing, I don't know how to get better. Hence why I made a thread asking to be pointed in the right direction. No one seems to want/know how to answer.

DOA5U is a game based considerably on the use of yomi to overcome the opponent. Other fighters use this asset as well, but not to this extent. Virtua Fighter is probably the next most yomi intensive 3D fighter. Make no mistake, these games go about handling the yomi required a little differently. (I can explain this for those who think DOA and Virtua Fighter are exactly the same)

To get better requires knowing your options and your opponents', at any given time. From the offensive standpoint, while in critical stun or in neutral, you are required to analyze the situation and execute the most likely option that will be successful in damaging your opponent.
The more you learn your character and your opponent's character while also learning your opponent's playstyle (or a general noob vs veteran/pro playstyle), the more successful you will be in winning matches consecutively.
Noobs tend to strike without heeding the disadvantage of their attacks, leading to whiff punishment, strike punishment, and throw punishment.
Veterans/Pros have a clearer understanding of these consequences and their skill differentiates accordingly. Dealing with them in critical state will prove to be more difficult, but understand the odds are in your favor, in most cases.

If you reveal a main character you like to use, I'm sure someone here could reveal how you should use them to get in there and start winning fights.

MasterHavik

Well, he's acting like a noob from what I read.
To be honest grape is acting like a confuse DOA vet. the game has change in a way it's confusing to him. I had this same feeling when I picked up DOA 5 vanilla and was confuse six ways from Sunday of how to play Zack in 5 since he was very different in 5 compared to 4.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I can understand that point of view.

Where you have tunnel vision: Focusing on what's not there instead on everything that is there.

I mean, he asked "How do you play this game?", it was brought up that it differs based on the character. His response was "I've tried playing half of the cast, but I didn't decide on anyone." (paraphrasing), and now his question is "Give me guaranteed setups." which is far from actually being a question and more a demand/statement, and it isn't really telling you "how to play this game." but instead asking for combos.

However, off the top of my head I can give the following two:
Bass: BT :H+P: :9::P::P: :3::K: :3::3::P: juggle ender.
Leon: :6::6::P::P: at wall as it's safe on guard, is a 2 hit natural combo, and on counter hit lets him do :H+P: air throw in whatever direction he wants including the wall. If they low hold the second :P: will pop them into a lift stun to allow the same setup to occur as they're now stunned with back to wall.

Raansu

-Out of all the things, you are worrying about, you focus on a "threshold system" which is quite insignificant in comparison to having initial higher stun~launch and stuns with guaranteed damage follow-ups! You sir are missing the bigger picture here.

I'm not worrying about anything. I'm simply point out the discrepancies in your claim. You could stun launch in DoA4 as well, you just got a basic juggle out of it just like in 5.

Brute

Standard Donor
grap3 doesn't understand the game after intelligent people have described it to him in great detail on numerous occasions. He still doesn't understand it for some reason, and thus claims the game is poorly designed because he refuses to accept that he simply does not understand it. If someone is responding to him like he's a noob, it's because that is the mentality he approaches the game with.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Well, he's acting like a noob from what I read.
Please let me know where all these experienced DOA5U vets are. Vets for a game that has been out for less than a week.

Where you have tunnel vision: Focusing on what's not there instead on everything that is there.
Could you point out a single post where I complained about X or Y missing? I made this thread specifically asking how to use all the new tools effectively, yet you seem to reading posts I never wrote.

To be honest grape is acting like a confuse DOA vet. the game has change in a way it's confusing to him.
I'm just terrible at breaking down the game and I don't know how to use the new stuff. So I ask and get attacked for it. DOA COMMUNITY.

grap3 doesn't understand the game after intelligent people have described it to him in great detail on numerous occasions. He still doesn't understand it for some reason, and thus claims the game is poorly designed because he refuses to accept that he simply does not understand it. If someone is responding to him like he's a noob, it's because that is the mentality he approaches the game with.
Please point to a single post where people are breaking down DOA5U for me or where I claim DOA5U is poorly designed. A single instance.

Does the game suffer from the same major issues I've had with the series for a while? Yes. However, I'm giving the game the benefit of the doubt and trying it out and asked these people that are enjoying the mechanics it to explain to me why but that hasn't exactly been fruitful with this thread.

You guys seem to have an agenda against me, even when I'm trying to like the game. Why is that?

Pupi18

You guys seem to have an agenda against me, even when I'm trying to like the game. Why is that?

You sadly got what some might consider a negative record in here. You trashing DOA constantly made some people just paint you like you are delusional and not willing to learn the game as it plays now and you are trapped in the DOA3.1 mentality. While most of your complains are understandable when you keep repeating yourself over and over makes you look bad to some of the people here. I'm still wrapping up my hands around DOA5U but Im liking it over DOA5 Vanilla already. There is something odd I can't pin point why but the game seems to be enjoyable and somewhat fair. I'm a Kokoro and Christie player and it seems the tools added to them and the removed ones don't do as much harm to them as I expected them to do.

In terms of damage you still gotta play with the stun game and finding open opportunities with your character. The game makes you think a bit more about your moves in term of what will do damage and what strings to use on each opportunity among other things. The game still ain't DOA3.1 but the game its actually pretty good and I'm still getting used to the changes. There is still chances the game aint for you but you can try a bit more and if it doesn't click you can move on to other game that fits your needs.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I understand that I have a "negative record," however, people are literally making up statements I never said to use against me. That really irks me.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Show me some guaranteed setups. That's what this thread is for. Don't keep telling me they're there without giving me some examples.

If its guaranteed, it's not a setup.

A setup is specifically used to trick someone into being put in a bad situation.

If you're asking for straight up guaranteed damage off of stuff, play Rig and go for big 7P/7K CH combos. They work. Or get in someones face with bending and frame trap them, then tap them twice with 4K for a juggle.

Pick up Leon and wait until someone fucks up, then guard break them all day long. Condition them to be scared of it and start dervishing or desert falconing them all over of the place. If you want to take less risk, go for a OH.

If they don't respect your throws, start abusing his numerous 2-in-1's like 8PP, 66PP, 4P+KP.

One neat trick is to use 8P (sit down) into 3K (sit down) into 214P (launch). Very dirty, very effective.

MrMoon360

I've defended you in the past on this front before, but no longer.
I can't help but seeing you, sitting at your computer like this:
trollatcomputer_zpse6263d0e.jpg

Cut the bullcrap.
If you don't like DOA5 or DOA5U and want to make a joke out of it, fine. Go do it somewhere else.
There's no need to exhaust another good Samaritan. They will just be wasting their time.

MasterHavik

I don't got anything against grape even though he has shitted on me and stuff in the past. I keep an open mind and don't hold onto to shit because i'm a man and I know what logic is. Grape brought up a good question and he shouldn't get rip for it. I have done some wrong in the past yes, but there are times where I asked a simple question as like how to understand what is a crush and what is not crush I get made fun of and called an idiot.

Anyways let me answer your question grape after playing for two days. You're playing the stun game, but not as bad as vanilla. Characters actually have frame data that makes sense and stuff isn't stupidly dumb with GB being negative and characters having little to know safety. The Ft are nearly gone from this game so it's moreso base on mix up and outsmarting the opponent.

I've defended you in the past on this front before, but no longer.
I can't help but seeing you, sitting at your computer like this:
trollatcomputer_zpse6263d0e.jpg

Cut the bullcrap.
If you don't like DOA5 or DOA5U and want to make a joke out of it, fine. Go do it somewhere else.
There's no need to exhaust another good Samaritan. They will just be wasting their time.
Dude...I'm not a grap3 fan. But you can't say something like that. He has said DOA 5 sucks, but he hasn't said anything bad about 5u yet so you can't assume. This community does that a lot of people and also has a gut reaction to people who don't praise the game. Why does this community make it goal to silence people who say something bad about DOA?

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Grap3 asked a legit question, and got some useful responses. He decided it was more fun to start acting trolly, and got trolly responses in turn.

Seems pretty typical.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD