Some gameplay issues with DOA6?

Radiance

the only thing I really liked about doa4 was that the gameplay seemed or was faster, forcetech setups that led to unholdable situations, and diverse stages. Other than that, I pretty much hated the game and all of its existence. Crushes were OP, you had to deal with 3 wake up kicks, you could essentially hold out of everything and holds dealt so much damage. It was fun, but I couldn’t take it seriously.

I just want a doa with good neutral lol.

ryu_highabusa

No one fucking attends DOA5 tournaments you uppity idiot, dear jesus. Just how important do you think the FGC is? It fucking isn't, at all.

The DOA tournament scene mattered literally one time in history so far and it was with DOA4.

So do tournaments matter or not? Why do they matter for DOA4 but not DOA5? This is like when Fox News criticizes Obama for one thing and then praises Trump when he does the same exact thing.

You can name everything you hate about DOA5 but you can't name one thing you like about DOA4 despite holding it up on a pedestal. I find that especially odd... and why I think you're a troll who assumes "DOA4" is a trigger-word on this forum. lmao

We could have just as easily had a game with PBs and CBs and Universal Sidesteps, except using normal DOA4 ruleset rather than being built on the literal subhuman glitch bugfest that was the DOA3 ruleset.
Now I'm not even sure you've even played DOA4. DOA5 is basically DOA4.5, aka DOA4 with PBs, CBs, and universal sidesteps. Like.. that's it. That's the difference, also costumes. lol

Shirataki Tsume

Well, as much as I like DOA4, I didn't think the game play was good either... I liked it a lot from a beginner's perspective because it was my first Dead or Alive game, but when I got to know more about the game's mechanics and playing other DOA games like DOA5 and DOA2, that's when I understood why people hate DOA4. I'm not liking on how nothing is guaranteed as long as you're still on a "standing" state. I could only praise DOA4 by its amazing stages and soundtracks; it's one of the best in the series IMO, and the visuals looked vibrant. New stages in DOA5 are mediocre in comparison.

As how amazing the stages looked in DOA4, the way how some of the Danger Zones functioned were kinda...bad. A stage like Gambler's Paradise has cars that attack the players for being at their angle; in DOA5, Danger Zones such as the tiger ring of fire stage will only activate once you come into contact in certain parts of the stage.

I still like DOA4 but I'm not gonna be defensive about it from a game play standpoint. DOA4 is fun as long as I take it casually. But one good thing DOA4 had when it comes to the game play is the ground game because you can just hit with any move that hits on a ground-touching height. I didn't like the grounded invincibility from the previous games if you don't use 8P+K and 2P or 2K.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
As CT apparently holds no respect for competitive DOA or those who travel to tournaments, as well as being unable to engage in intelligent conversation without resorting to snide comments and insults, I have taken the liberty of removing him.

First and foremost, this is a place of learning and civil competition/discussion. Let this be a reminder of that fact.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Real talk time.

My perception is that DOA 4 catered to the lowest common denominator. When DOA 5 raised the bar competitively and certain people were no longer able to compete without putting in actual effort, they decided living in the past was more pleasant than living in the present.

When presented with logical reasons as to why their game was not competitively viable, or not nearly as popular as they remember, you see the abandonment of conversation and the invitation of insult, as CT displayed in this thread.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I just hope for this fatal rush combo combo they make it require full meter, it's not going to be fun if low level players are able to just spam it without consequence, high attack or not or slow or not. I think anything pertaining to the S special button should have to require a meter cost

Raansu

I don't like the website, but here's some more impressions. https://www.resetera.com/posts/9262413/

I must be out of the loop. Never heard of this site.

I just hope for this fatal rush combo combo they make it require full meter, it's not going to be fun if low level players are able to just spam it without consequence, high attack or not or slow or not. I think anything pertaining to the S special button should have to require a meter cost

18-20 frame move isn't going to be very abusable, let alone useful. I can MAAAYBE see it used as whiff punishment, but the damage seems sow low on it I don't see the worth of trying something thats slow and a high attack.

K

KanYeezy

It's a branch of the NeoGAF forums, where quite a few AAA and numerous indie developers go post. They don't really like differing opinions, so yeah. I'd stay very, very far away from it apart from learning about upcoming and unannounced games, just like Reddit.

Raansu

It's a branch of the NeoGAF forums, where quite a few AAA and numerous indie developers go post. They don't really like differing opinions, so yeah. I'd stay very, very far away from it apart from learning about upcoming and unannounced games, just like Reddit.

I wouldn't go near neogaf with a 10ft pole lol.

That said, I only glanced over DrDogg's article and....

"The new meter in DOA6 is called the Break Gauge. It’s located just below the health bars at the top of the screen, and quickly builds as you hit an opponent, the opponent blocks your attack, you defend against an attack or you take damage. That’s right, if you do just about anything, you will build meter. "

Oh....oh my.....oh no. That is way too many ways for that thing to build up and it already seems to build very fast in the videos we have seen. I'm REALLY worried about this meter.

"Meter carries over from round to round."

Whyyyy! -_-

That said, what he's written about the fatal rush is kind of interesting. I'm surprised it can be used on a stunned opponent and the first hit almost acts like a critical burst. I thought for sure it would only work on neutral hits and if it hit a stunned player it would act as an overstun and not them over. This is very interesting and very surprising.....my mind is already tinkering with ideas with Hitomi (assuming she makes the roster)

Edit:

"Slow Escape is gone or drastically toned down."

I have such mixed feelings about this. I both love and hate slow escape. On one hand, its a great tool to get out of small stuns, on the other hand it removes the risk taken to get sit downs and basically is a "fuck you" to the attacker that out played you. Alllso on the other hand it fucking would turn a frame advantage low sweep for Hitomi into a negative frame attack....what in the actual fuck.

Ok maybe I actually hate it? Or do I not? Its been around forever. Fuck.....lmao

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

18-20 frame move isn't going to be very abusable, let alone useful. I can MAAAYBE see it used as whiff punishment, but the damage seems sow low on it I don't see the worth of trying something thats slow and a high attack.
Even still I think it should cost meter, especially if its tied to the special S button. I mean for example Hitomis 2H+K is like a 20i standing low and that doesn't stop that move from being abused over and over xD i just think it should be meter based if traditional holds can't stop it once it hits, and if you have no meter you're basically stuck like a pig which turns me off.

Plus I wanna know what happens if two players do it at exactly the same time as well too, like will they both be nullified or will one take priority over the other?

Raansu

Of course she will. Maybe she'll even go back to her DOA3 personality.

Also, what's DrDogg doing not posting hands-on impressions on FSD of all places?

That would be nice. Her DoA3 personality was the best.

DrDogg is kind of an enigma of the doa community.

Even still I think it should cost meter, especially if its tied to the special S button. I mean for example Hitomis 2H+K is like a 20i standing low and that doesn't stop that move from being abused over and over xD i just think it should be meter based if traditional holds can't stop it once it hits, and if you have no meter you're basically stuck like a pig which turns me off.

Plus I wanna know what happens if two players do it at exactly the same time as well too, like will they both be nullified or will one take priority over the other?

Eh, I'm indifferent on if its tied to a meter or not. Also Hitomi's low sweep is only abusable online lol. And even then, whenever I throw it out there I seem to always take a hit to the gut or someone just staggers out of it and basically wiping away any frame advantage the tiny stun gave me......Good Lord Hitomi was so bad in 5 -_-

Gillian01

So do tournaments matter or not? Why do they matter for DOA4 but not DOA5? This is like when Fox News criticizes Obama for one thing and then praises Trump when he does the same exact thing.

You can name everything you hate about DOA5 but you can't name one thing you like about DOA4 despite holding it up on a pedestal. I find that especially odd... and why I think you're a troll who assumes "DOA4" is a trigger-word on this forum. lmao

Now I'm not even sure you've even played DOA4. DOA5 is basically DOA4.5, aka DOA4 with PBs, CBs, and universal sidesteps. Like.. that's it. That's the difference, also costumes. lol

I could honestly care less about the DOA tournament scene as is because there are so few people involved in the bubble of the scene. Like i said, there are very very very few names associated with the DOA tournament scene, and no deep insult intended but when you got someone like HurricaneRev topping DOA5 in the UK, you ought to know the game is retarded.

I mean, what are the kind of people I've been arguing with in this thread so far . . . ?

And how can anyone actually say or believe DOA5 is "DOA4.5"

Like damn, what?

The whole point of this community has been to tear down DOA4 and put DOA3 on an undeserved pedestal. Thats why there are DOA3 mechanics in DOA5 like unlimited relaunchers and stupid juggle potential for select few characters. Thats why there are DOA3 stages in DOA5. Thats why DOA4-tier hold damage doesn't exist in the game. Thats why there are fewer hold opportunities from stun unlike DOA4.

DOA5 is just DOA3 with PBs and CBs and PLs and Sidestep attacks with better designed stages that aren't immediately broken by the variety of broken mechanics that DOA3 stages exacerbate. There is not a single ounce of any of the upgraded and updated mechanics from DOA4 implemented into DOA5.

And @Rikuto, you are an actual bitch.
Screenshot_2018-06-14-21-58-07-1.png

You are all delusional idiots who must ban anyone who argues with your mongoloid fringe opinion of DOA4 because facts of reality and objective proof are inarguable from your approach. You cannot win the argument with sensibility so you resort to banning.
Time and time and time and time and time and time again, ya'll gang up and scare away DOA4 fans. This wasn't about the FGC at all, ya'll just cant handle the facts of DOA4.

Ya'll are fucking trash. You actually are trash.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I could honestly care less about the DOA tournament scene as is because there are so few people involved in the bubble of the scene. Like i said, there are very very very few names associated with the DOA tournament scene, and no deep insult intended but when you got someone like HurricaneRev topping DOA5 in the UK, you ought to know the game is retarded.

I mean, what are the kind of people I've been arguing with in this thread so far . . . ?

And how can anyone actually say or believe DOA5 is "DOA4.5"

Like damn, what?

The whole point of this community has been to tear down DOA4 and put DOA3 on an undeserved pedestal. Thats why there are DOA3 mechanics in DOA5 like unlimited relaunchers and stupid juggle potential for select few characters. Thats why there are DOA3 stages in DOA5. Thats why DOA4-tier hold damage doesn't exist in the game. Thats why there are fewer hold opportunities from stun unlike DOA4.

DOA5 is just DOA3 with PBs and CBs and PLs and Sidestep attacks with better designed stages that aren't immediately broken by the variety of broken mechanics that DOA3 stages exacerbate. There is not a single ounce of any of the upgraded and updated mechanics from DOA4 implemented into DOA5.

And @Rikuto, you are an actual bitch.
You are all delusional idiots who must ban anyone who argues with your mongoloid fringe opinion of DOA4 because facts of reality and objective proof are inarguable from your approach. You cannot win the argument with sensibility so you resort to banning.
Time and time and time and time and time and time again, ya'll gang up and scare away DOA4 fans. This wasn't about the FGC at all, ya'll just cant handle the facts of DOA4.

Ya'll are fucking trash. You actually are trash.
0U97C1M.jpg

I'm just waiting for him to ban you again XD

There's always seems to be alot of disagreements when DOA4 is brought up...

Radiance

Please take some Nyquil and go to sleep, the adults are trying to have a conversation about important things now. Thanks!

I have such mixed feelings about this. I both love and hate slow escape. On one hand, its a great tool to get out of small stuns, on the other hand it removes the risk taken to get sit downs and basically is a "fuck you" to the attacker that out played you. Alllso on the other hand it fucking would turn a frame advantage low sweep for Hitomi into a negative frame attack....what in the actual fuck.

I'm having those same mixed emotions. I like being able to shake out of those light stuns where usually the only thing the opponent can get is a jab or slight frame advantage. At the same time it means more guaranteed setup's. For the most part, I don't particularly agree with this. It seems as if they want stuns to be more prevalent?

I'm also not fond of the break gauge mechanic. Having access to a move that leads to guaranteed damage seems ridiculous. Also sounds abusable; having so many different options to build the gauge meter and meter you built transfers to the next round. Sounds like a bad formula.

UPDATE: This is kind of troubling.. I hope they don't allow players to chose between multiple hold options.

Dfmar1IUwAAgZZp.jpg:large

Last edited:

Gillian01

I understand the Break Gauge even if I disagree with it. Here's a good compromise based in part on @Rojikku 's idea he touched on in his analysis vids:

Everything on that S button needs to take meter in one form or another. Close Hit sidesteps are absolutely monstrous and just as effective in practice as a raw Break Blow, and the sidestep is on the S button so hell yeah, either remove it or tone down the damage or make it use meter. And the meter itself should be cut into two parts, where one of those parts is cut into four. Every hit of a Fatal Rush should consume one of these smaller parts given it is cancellable to reap the Fatal Stun at any point, and every other S button move should just take 1/2 meter to pull off. With a full 2 part meter, someone can burn 4/8ths on a Fatal Rush and then the last 1/2 on the Break Blow followup, where if the opponent uses their Break Hold to escape the Fatal Rush, the attacker and defender will be around even-ground in how much Break Gauge they have remaining rather than the defender having absolutely no meter while the attacker still has full meter to try landing a now guaranteed Break Blow after another Fatal Rush attempt.

Under this altered setup, the attacker would have the meter for the Fatal Rush but not the Break Blow followup, cause in the current E3 setup the Break Hold either doesn't do enough damage or offer enough advantage already to have a true value in burning the whole meter to escape a Fatal Rush. The defender does a single jab's worth of damage and loses all meter and both the attacker and defender are essentially reset to a neutral state while the attacker still has full meter. I'm trying to analyze the value of whatever meta could be here in the E3 build's meter rules, but the ideas that are coming seem really shallow. I'd even suggest making the meter fill a tad slower if the proposed meter management doesn't stop a single fighter from using the break blow up to two times a round. As great as the animation looks, i personally feel it will get old if we see it 3 to 4 times per round.

And as much as you shitters truly want to be devastated in denial by quick DOA4-facts, I'm only here to discuss DOA6.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I understand the Break Gauge even if I disagree with it. Here's a good compromise based in part on @Rojikku 's idea he touched on in his analysis vids:

Everything on that S button needs to take meter in one form or another. Close Hit sidesteps are absolutely monstrous and just as effective in practice as a raw Break Blow, and the sidestep is on the S button so hell yeah, either remove it or tone down the damage or make it use meter. And the meter itself should be cut into two parts, where one of those parts is cut into four. Every hit of a Fatal Rush should consume one of these smaller parts given it is cancellable to reap the Fatal Stun at any point, and every other S button move should just take 1/2 meter to pull off. With a full 2 part meter, someone can burn 4/8ths on a Fatal Rush and then the last 1/2 on the Break Blow followup, where if the opponent uses their Break Hold to escape the Fatal Rush, the attacker and defender will be around even-ground in how much Break Gauge they have remaining rather than the defender having absolutely no meter while the attacker still has full meter to try landing a now guaranteed Break Blow after another Fatal Rush attempt.

Under this altered setup, the attacker would have the meter for the Fatal Rush but not the Break Blow followup, cause in the current E3 setup the Break Hold either doesn't do enough damage or offer enough advantage already to have a true value in burning the whole meter to escape a Fatal Rush. The defender does a single jab's worth of damage and loses all meter and both the attacker and defender are essentially reset to a neutral state while the attacker still has full meter. I'm trying to analyze the value of whatever meta could be here in the E3 build's meter rules, but the ideas that are coming seem really shallow.

And as much as you shitters truly want to be devasted in denial by quick DOA4-facts, I'm only here to discuss DOA6.
If you really wanted to discuss DOA6, then why did you get into a rant about DOA4, argue and insult members who disagreed with you, got banned, made a new account once again ranting and raving about DOA4 and called the mod who banned you a derogatory word that'll get you banned again while once again insulting everyone in the thread who doesn't agree with you and just now talking about DOA6?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD