State of the Tournament Scene

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As we end the month of April, we find ourselves also nearing an end to the current tournament season. Our community has shown excellent growth in the tournament scene with nearly triple the average entrants for Major Tournament Events. I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to represent our series in the tournament scene. There's plenty of new blood coming into the scene which bodes well for some healthy growth.

Final Round 16 was our last major and we showed that GVN Winter Brawl 7 and North East Championships 13 were not flukes in numbers with nearly 60 entrants representing our community. That's a hell of a lot better than the average 10-20 we were getting pre-DOA5. Many of the American players will also tell you that Final Round 16 was easily one of the most competitive tournaments the DOA Community has had in years.

575830_10200917799446744_641057065_n.jpg

The Final Round 16 crew. Well... a third of the crew.

After Final Round 16 we also had the minor Civil War 5 and the major North California Regionals 2013, each with an increased average showing. Dead or Alive 5 has also been given a side tournament time slot on Sunday for East Coast Throwdown 5 come May 18th.

Now, with NCR coming to an end we had one more Japanese tournament (TGN Playse) which also had a large turnout of 47 players along with a 16 player tag tournament. At the end of TGN Playse, Hayashi showed off what looks to be an extended version of Dead or Alive 5 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Many are thinking, based on Hayashi's words, that it could be released as early as this summer.

135154_229538390526167_360473038_o.png

The Fall Classic

Coincidentally, with the lack of support from Evolution we have no Majors lined up until GVN Summer Jam in August and The Fall Classic in September. It's very possible that one of those two would be the first East Coast major tournaments to feature the new Dead or Alive 5. For those that don't know, I'll be running the DOA5 events at each tournament, but I know there are many players who will be unable to participate in both. It is for that reason that my personal suggestion is if you have to choose one over the other, choose The Fall Classic tournament. I expect that if this is followed then Summer Jam might have lower than average numbers, but I personally feel that The Fall Classic is going to be one of those events that could be considered an "East Coast Evo". This is due to the event being run by the organizers for NEC, GVN, ECT, and Final Round. I'm in discussions to see what I can do to help promote the scene at that event. The Fall Classic is also taking place in the middle of the East Coast (Raleigh, North Carolina) which is practically equidistant for our players in Georgia, Florida, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. Anyone in these states should be saving up in preparation for TFC.

In summary, continue supporting the series, posting helpful information in the forums, and spreading the word of events to locals, friends, and contacts. I'm hoping to see over 100 entrants at The Fall Classic, and if not I'm able to meet up again with both new and old friends to have fun playing the series we love together.

wearefighters.png

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
TFC is a lock for me. I will definitely be there short of some sort of emergency coming up. I'll also be trying to make SJ and NEC but I can't make promises on them just yet. SJ is awfully close to EVO and my wallet might need a break.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'll let you know my room numbers for the various tournaments. Always can use a respectable door man, sir. We'll make sure we get you in the pictures too haha.

synce

I was reading on 2ch there was some Canadian tourney that had a turnout of 4 people... But at least it seems to be improving in the US

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I was reading on 2ch there was some Canadian tourney that had a turnout of 4 people... But at least it seems to be improving in the US

That was week 3 of the game's release, and they never advertised the tournament.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I look forward to getting my Kasumi (Ayane main secondary) where I want them to be. Last time it was about exp & figuring out where I was. This time it's going as far as I can.

Mr. Wah no Tennessee love? :eek: lol

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
SweetRevenge117 Yes, I didn't want to bring up DID9.

Honestly, I would prefer DID9 came out June/July. Because August,Sept, & December will be busy with the tournaments. October/November might work but I swear something is escaping me on why I wouldn't suggest those two months either.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD