DOA5U ~Team BEST~ DOA5U Training on PSN/XBL

Ael

Well, since I don't work tomorrow, I can probably host a PSN lobby from 5PM CST (in one hour for me) until later tonight. Hajin will most likely join in also along with a few regulars. Just ask for an invite around that time.

GovTD

Well, since I don't work tomorrow, I can probably host a PSN lobby from 5PM CST (in one hour for me) until later tonight. Hajin will most likely join in also along with a few regulars. Just ask for an invite around that time.
Do you want me to friend you so that it's easier to invite me when the time comes?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I had fun while I was there! Too bad I had to go earlier than expected. I would like any feedback from you guys. I feel like I reached a plateau while my character atm.

Sorry I have not left any feed back yet. Been a bit busy. I'll try to get back to you on it tonight after I'm out of class.

Ael

Do you want me to friend you so that it's easier to invite me when the time comes?

Sure, add me whenever you can. I'll invite you into a lobby so we can get some matches going.

PSN: Aelivia

P.S. Hajin might be the host--we'll see so he might send out invites also.

Last edited:

GovTD

I'm just gonna eat really quick, then I'll jump on. Hopefully we get a nice set of matches tonight, I could definitely use some practice after getting my butt handed to me on ranked earlier today.

GovTD

Wow,it sure has been a while. I guess I forgot how... not great I really was. Well, thanks for having me. Catch you all next Tuesday, or whenever.

Reactions: Ael

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Wow,it sure has been a while. I guess I forgot how... not great I really was. Well, thanks for having me. Catch you all next Tuesday, or whenever.

That's what Team BEST and these play sessions are about, helping players. We play various players and let them play each other as we analyze your play and give you proper feedback when requested. We aren't playing to win here, we're playing to learn (figure out what each player's playstyle is like and their tendecies and try to evaluate from there), and we're playing to help you learn more.

Last edited:

GovTD

That's what Team BEST and these play sessions are about, helping players. We play various players and let them play each other as we analyze your play and give you proper feedback when requested. We aren't playing to win here, we're playing to learn (figure out what each player's playstyle is like and their tendecies and try to evaluate from there), and we're playing to help you learn more.
Well, I guess I could use some tips on getting past a pretty aggressive playstyle (like how everyone seemed to be destroying me with), and maybe some pointers on how to follow up whenever I get a low strike in that doesn't cause too much damage (like whenever I hit some one with a rolling knuckle, which doesn't cause too much stun even as a counter hit).

I guess I'm alright with footsies, in the fact that I have a general idea on what to do, so I think I should put my attention in working on following up on light stuns and dealing with the neutral game. But that might just be a question of asking a vet-Tina player what her really good moves are.

IDK, got any suggestion on where I should improve?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@Prince Adon can help you with the Tina suggestions.

As for aggressive play, as for dealing with it, you have to maintain a good defense. And that requires experience against that kind of play (and just in general). Basic and good blocking versus mid and lows helps, while also low throw punishing unsafe lows and low sweeps (and basic generic throw punishment of unsafety in general but that requires you to study frame data a bit).

The most probable way of dealing with it though is trying to pay attention to patterns. Because in aggressive play, there is always a pattern or a few. Realizing when and how a player places their set ups is the key to breaking them. Once you do, and they can't change it, it's a sign that you have a read on them and you can pick it apart soon.

As for Ael and myself. She is not an aggressive player by any means and neither am I. We're both very defensive but in almost different ways. She loves zoning and forcing you to play her neutral game. I am very footsies and spacing heavy and can play passive aggressive once I score my knockdowns. Other than that, I am literally just destroying people with my neutral game because I have no reason to commit to anything until my opponent commits or makes mistakes.

I think I may do a session sometime soon, that would be about teaching folks some need-to-know basics in DOA and how you can get started on reading frame data.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
@GovTD do you have a video I can watch of you playing? It would make it easier for me to give you tips.

@Sol Badguy Okay I went back and watched one of our videos. One thing I feel you need to work on is using Lei fang's parries. Her parries (especially against a character like Sarah) can make things a lot easier. She has guaranteed after it that can give her damage, or a scary mix up. After you stun your opponent is also when Lei Fang is really scary, because she has various of ways to stun launch, CB, throw...etc Mix ups. So pretty much you should work on when to be aggressive, and when to be defensive. Lei Fang is also really safe, so you should make use of that. Overall I didn't think you were bad at all. Just have improvement to do like everyone else. =) I can always help you in your process! If you want to understand anymore of Lei Fang's set ups or anything let me know!

Last edited:

Kohlrak

@Prince Adon can help you with the Tina suggestions.

As for aggressive play, as for dealing with it, you have to maintain a good defense. And that requires experience against that kind of play (and just in general). Basic and good blocking versus mid and lows helps, while also low throw punishing unsafe lows and low sweeps (and basic generic throw punishment of unsafety in general but that requires you to study frame data a bit).

The most probable way of dealing with it though is trying to pay attention to patterns. Because in aggressive play, there is always a pattern or a few. Realizing when and how a player places their set ups is the key to breaking them. Once you do, and they can't change it, it's a sign that you have a read on them and you can pick it apart soon.

As for Ael and myself. She is not an aggressive player by any means and neither am I. We're both very defensive but in almost different ways. She loves zoning and forcing you to play her neutral game. I am very footsies and spacing heavy and can play passive aggressive once I score my knockdowns. Other than that, I am literally just destroying people with my neutral game because I have no reason to commit to anything until my opponent commits or makes mistakes.

I think I may do a session sometime soon, that would be about teaching folks some need-to-know basics in DOA and how you can get started on reading frame data.

I noticed that when i've tried to dance just outside of range, just like you should in real fighting, you can easily trap people if you can figure out when to throw your long ranger in. And i feel i give myself away *ALOT*, which doesn't help as i play very aggressively. I'm starting to move back, more, though.

Sol Badguy

QUOTE="Prince Adon, post: 180055, member: 7935"]@GovTD do you have a video I can watch of you playing? It would make it easier for me to give you tips.

@Sol Badguy Okay I went back and watched one of our videos. One thing I feel you need to work on is using Lei fang's parries. Her parries (especially against a character like Sarah) can make things a lot easier. She has guaranteed after it that can give her damage, or a scary mix up. After you stun your opponent is also when Lei Fang is really scary, because she has various of ways to stun launch, CB, throw...etc Mix ups. So pretty much you should work on when to be aggressive, and when to be defensive. Lei Fang is also really safe, so you should make use of that. Overall I didn't think you were bad at all. Just have improvement to do like everyone else. =) I can always help you in your process! If you want to understand anymore of Lei Fang's set ups or anything let me know![/QUOTE]
Ok, thanks Adon. I enjoyed the matches we had! I wanna pick up Sarah so could you help me with her?

NinjaDon

If there are any lobbies on PSN, let me know and I'll see if I can play . I REALLY need to work on my Hayate. I have Core Fighters and only five characters : Kasumi, Hayabusa, Ayane, Hayate and Jann Lee.
Which of the characters are best for a beginner/ amateur player?

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Ok, thanks Adon. I enjoyed the matches we had! I wanna pick up Sarah so could you help me with her?

I'm still learning her, but I'm more than willing to help!

If there are any lobbies on PSN, let me know and I'll see if I can play . I REALLY need to work on my Hayate. I have Core Fighters and only five characters : Kasumi, Hayabusa, Ayane, Hayate and Jann Lee.
Which of the characters are best for a beginner/ amateur player?

I would say Hayate. Hayate is a character that wins just using the basics. So I would stick with him as far as learning the basics goes.

Kohlrak

I'm still learning her, but I'm more than willing to help!

I would say Hayate. Hayate is a character that wins just using the basics. So I would stick with him as far as learning the basics goes.

Interesting. I'm trying to figure out who, out of the basic 4, would be easiest to learn, so i could learn him/her fast, then teach him/her fast. Would i take it that you vote Hayate?

Sol Badguy

[QUOTE="Prince Adon, post: 180294, member: 7]I'm still learning her, but I'm more than willing to help!

I would say Hayate. Hayate is a character that wins just using the basics. So I would stick with him as far as learning the basics goes.[/QUOTE]
If you're not comfortable with her yet then that's cool. I just wanna learn a more offensive character because Bass has helped me become better at punishing and mixup (since he is mid heavy).

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out who, out of the basic 4, would be easiest to learn, so i could learn him/her fast, then teach him/her fast. Would i take it that you vote Hayate?

Hayate is the most well rounded. He's a good at all, but a master of none. I definitely would say him.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD