DOA5U ~Team BEST~ DOA5U Training on PSN/XBL

Tenryuga

@Kohlrak

It's really not as tedious as you are making it sound. Have things set to normal hit then complete full strings while taking note of what happens. Then turn on counter hit / hi counter hit and do the same thing. There are visual differences between stuns so it shouldn't be hard to remember what move causes what type of stun and for how long. Just set things to Fastest SE to have an idea. Since you play Kokoro though fastest SE doesn't matter; I'll save you time and let you know all of your launchers are stagger-able except ones that are built in string like :3::K::P:. :3::P::P::P:, or ones that are set up with high pokes or :6::K::P:.

Also no it is not necessary to write frame data down lol. I have not once done that. You just need to know the cutoff points for certain things. Here they are:

1.-6 to -7 is semi safe. This means you can use a neutral grab to punish if you feel like it. Remember I said you should link the animation to the frame data. What is significant here isn't the number it is what the number means. Kokoro's :P::2::K::P: is -6 but I don't need to remember that number; What I need to remember is that last hit is semi safe. Nobody is blind so they can see the last hit of that string and say "OH that's semi safe! I should strike or use a neutral grab."

2. -8 or more is punishable. This means at the very least when these moves are done you can use :6::H+P: to get a guaranteed punish. Again what's significant isn't :4::P+K:is -19 or whatever, it's :4::P+K: is punishable. Here are some other magic numbers for throw punishment for strike based characters like Kokoro: -11 or more (:2::3::6::H+P: punishable) and -13 or more (:2::1::4::H+P: punishable). You don't need to memorize any number. Just look at the move animation and ask yourself "Is it -8/11/13 or more?" and remember the action it is you must take when you see the move on the screen. This is only if you want to maximize your damage off of punishment. I personally just use :6::H+P: / :2::H+P: to punish anything I know is punishable because they are fast and reliable.

3. For moves that are frame advantage the same rule applies. You could actually remember how much frame advantage your moves give or you could just take a look at how the frame advantage affects your options. For example Kokoro's :P+K: is +1 on block. You could remember that or you could commit to memory how the +1 affects Kokoro's initial pokes such as "After :P+K: my :6::P: beats everything except 10 frame jabs(The initial speed of a :P: for some characters)." If you are unclear of what I mean by initial pokes I mean :P:,:6::P: and :2::P: for every character. This is something you should commit to memory and again is not that tedious to do. Simply ask someone that plays the character or take 2 seconds in training mode to check.

As a general rule when it comes to frame advantage, If it is small advantage like +3 or so you should stick to your initial pokes as followups on the advantage. If It is double digit advantage you can start considering some of your moves that are 20+ frames to execute.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
The most efficient method is to look at a list of all the strings (not just command training) and to write down each one then write down each part that leads up to the end of the string and write down all details surrounding that down on paper. Then, if you want to do anything else with it like sorting and such, you need to then move the information onto a computer, and OCR technology still sucks. Sure, frame data itself isn't inefficient, but gathering framedata is by far. If you're really lucky, you can cut this time in half if there is a really obvious pattern to the amount of disadvantage frames on block. Worse yet, to know how to fight everyone else, you need to do this for every character.

You're not really explaining anything that I'm not already aware of. My point is that everyone who studies frame data in this game, uses the Move Details feature to study the numbers while observing the move animation. The most efficient way is to do everything required, NOT just one part or another.

And the fact that they're fairly proficient tells me that there's something obvious i'm totally missing.

Most who play this game are not as "proficient" as you claim. From the perspective of someone who knows this game, where it's meta, ruleset and punishment lies, most who play this game do not abide by most (if not all of it). Most playing online only know how to do set ups and combos, and critical bursts.

Read via quote, because this is what DOA online usually is.

There are so many people playing this game, and have been for awhile now. And don't even understand that throw punishment is the basic and generic form of punishment in DOA. And fail to understand why. There are A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT OF PLAYERS playing DOA, and have no real understanding of what fundamentals are. Most lack the understanding of spacing and footsies, the differences between spacing and footsies, whiff punishment and other basic understanding of play in a fighting game.

Then you have players who play so often and have an understanding of DOA, but they still lack in the areas I already mentioned. These kind of players are those that complain about "turtling" and "too much throwing" and so on and so forth. Or they are players that choose to ignore the fact that good spacing and proper punishment are great fundamentals, but don't do these things because it's boring or for some made up honor system. It irks me so much when I hear someone say;

"why do you always run away?" "all you do is throw me all the time" "all you do is the same thing over and over" "all you do is turtle".

It is not just from online randoms, I have witnessed several players here at FSD say these things. In threads, in their profile status, and on other people's profile status. I find it amusing how people say they can do something differently in a game like Street Fighter or Blazblue. When you're playing with the same basic fundamentals lol. Spacing, footsies, punishment, these things exist in these other fighters. Whether it is basic strike or throw punishment, it is simply that, PUNISHMENT.

These kind of players either do not actually utilize the game's Move Details system, do not understand how to utilize it, or choose NOT to utilize it. Doing so only hurts your growth, whether or not you choose to accept it, this is the truth.

Kohlrak

You're not really explaining anything that I'm not already aware of. My point is that everyone who studies frame data in this game, uses the Move Details feature to study the numbers while observing the move animation. The most efficient way is to do everything required, NOT just one part or another.

I don't think our definitions of efficient are the same. I'm talking about getting more bang for the hours i'm investing.

Most who play this game are not as "proficient" as you claim. From the perspective of someone who knows this game, where it's meta, ruleset and punishment lies, most who play this game do not abide by most (if not all of it). Most playing online only know how to do set ups and combos, and critical bursts.
Read via quote, because this is what DOA online usually is.

For them to be not very proficient but still whooping me, what does that say about me? Surely they're not tournament level, but they can actually win matches, and they do so making me look horrible.

@Kohlrak
It's really not as tedious as you are making it sound. Have things set to normal hit then complete full strings while taking note of what happens. Then turn on counter hit / hi counter hit and do the same thing. There are visual differences between stuns so it shouldn't be hard to remember what move causes what type of stun and for how long. Just set things to Fastest SE to have an idea. Since you play Kokoro though fastest SE doesn't matter; I'll save you time and let you know all of your launchers are stagger-able except ones that are built in string like :3::K::P:. :3::P::P::P:, or ones that are set up with high pokes or :6::K::P:.
Also no it is not necessary to write frame data down lol. I have not once done that. You just need to know the cutoff points for certain things. Here they are:
1.-6 to -7 is semi safe. This means you can use a neutral grab to punish if you feel like it. Remember I said you should link the animation to the frame data. What is significant here isn't the number it is what the number means. Kokoro's :P::2::K::P: is -6 but I don't need to remember that number; What I need to remember is that last hit is semi safe. Nobody is blind so they can see the last hit of that string and say "OH that's semi safe! I should strike or use a neutral grab."
2. -8 or more is punishable. This means at the very least when these moves are done you can use :6::H+P: to get a guaranteed punish. Again what's significant isn't :4::P+K:is -19 or whatever, it's :4::P+K: is punishable. Here are some other magic numbers for throw punishment for strike based characters like Kokoro: -11 or more (:2::3::6::H+P: punishable) and -13 or more (:2::1::4::H+P: punishable). You don't need to memorize any number. Just look at the move animation and ask yourself "Is it -8/11/13 or more?" and remember the action it is you must take when you see the move on the screen. This is only if you want to maximize your damage off of punishment. I personally just use :6::H+P: / :2::H+P: to punish anything I know is punishable because they are fast and reliable.
3. For moves that are frame advantage the same rule applies. You could actually remember how much frame advantage your moves give or you could just take a look at how the frame advantage affects your options. For example Kokoro's :P+K: is +1 on block. You could remember that or you could commit to memory how the +1 affects Kokoro's initial pokes such as "After :P+K: my :6::P: beats everything except 10 frame jabs(The initial speed of a :P: for some characters)." If you are unclear of what I mean by initial pokes I mean :P:,:6::P: and :2::P: for every character. This is something you should commit to memory and again is not that tedious to do. Simply ask someone that plays the character or take 2 seconds in training mode to check.
As a general rule when it comes to frame advantage, If it is small advantage like +3 or so you should stick to your initial pokes as followups on the advantage. If It is double digit advantage you can start considering some of your moves that are 20+ frames to execute.

Right, but i still need to look at the frame data and know the frame data to come to these conclusions. Writing down data and comparing isn't what bothers me the most. What bothers me the most is that I have to try out every move and look at all the different attributes (reach, etc, since the animation isn't very reliable at all [her 1P is a great example of that]). The problem is that :P::P::P: is actually :P:, :P::P:, and :P::P::P:. Kokoro isn't bad at this, especially since so much is shared her :P::P::6::P: doesn't need :P:, or :P::P:, because it's shared already with :P::P::P:. However someone like Ayane, Kasumi, or Christie is a bit harder to break down, especially with their strings reaching out to BFE. I'm trying to efficiently learn Kokoro, or at least know how to efficiently learn her, so i can go ahead and try to learn the rest of the roster.

Oh well, it would seem the only way would be to just do it and get it over with. I ended up running out of time to start tonight, but i'll get on it sometime tomorrow.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
For them to be not very proficient but still whooping me, what does that say about me? Surely they're not tournament level, but they can actually win matches, and they do so making me look horrible.

It means you're still learning. Most who play online a lot are either learning, or too self engrossed with their set ups and do not realize that a lot of what they do is telegraphed (and possibly fraudulent). Most will also abuse lag as well. Most also do not have fundamental qualities in their play either. Not everyone that plays online are dishonest like this, of course, some really are getting better.

I see a lot of this stuff when I watch various online matches, play random people (even some here at FSD).

I'm also not even talking about tournament level players. I'm talking about the general level of play (online).

Ael

Well...I'm bored and I can sit down and play the game all night for the first time in 1.5 weeks. So, I'll be hosting a lobby. Feel free to ask for an invite here or on PSN. Dunno how long this lobby will last though, but I'll be on for a lil while.

NinjaDon

Can anyone here help me with my Hayate? I would be really grateful if someone could help me.
PSN: Rodardinho( I use my brothers account because I'm too young to play online apparently)
And if you do want to play me send me a message on my account: Simply_Donaldo.

Ael

Can anyone here help me with my Hayate? I would be really grateful if someone could help me.
PSN: Rodardinho( I use my brothers account because I'm too young to play online apparently)
And if you do want to play me send me a message on my account: Simply_Donaldo.

Join my lobby. Tenryuga plays Hayate a bit so maybe he can help you. I'll send you an invite now.

Ael

GGs Ten and NinjaDon. TN's netcode keeps disconnecting me even though my connection isn't even bad lol Maybe some other time xD My apologies for cutting it short.

Last edited:

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Just a reminder that I will be hosting a lobby on XBL this Saturday around 3pm Pacific time. It'll most likely be streamed. On Sunday I think I'll host a lobby on PSN. This session will not be streamed, and it'll likely be around the same time.

NinjaDon

Just a reminder that I will be hosting a lobby on XBL this Saturday around 3pm Pacific time. It'll most likely be streamed. On Sunday I think I'll host a lobby on PSN. This session will not be streamed, and it'll likely be around the same time.
What time will the Sunday PSN lobby open for British Summer Time (GMT +01:00)?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Sorry we couldn't play for long, @NinjaDon, I'm getting ready to head out to offline casuals.

Feels so weird playing this game after not having played for a week lol.

Ael

@NinjaDon The netcode keeps disconnecting me today lol It's never been this bad before even though my internet's fine (25mbps download, 5mbps upload, 28ms ping). OTL Maybe we can play some other time.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Okay, I don't have work Saturday after all, so I should be good for that session. Monthly tourney on Sunday, though, so won't be there for that one.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD