Team Ninja details next upcoming patch for Dead or Alive 5

Team Ninja.jpg

A few short moments ago, director Yohei Shimbori tweeted a flurry of tweets with info on the next upcoming patch for Dead or Alive 5, shedding light on what we can expect.

He offers up some exciting details on what we can look forward to, but did not confirm an exact date as to when the next patch will be rolling out. Nonetheless, some pretty nifty stuff awaits.

Here are the patch details that Shimbori noted:

-[D-YS] I've finally had a chance to check out a few of the tweaks, so here are a few bits of info about the next patch.

-[D-YS] First, it looks like we can clear up the huge lag that happened on some stages for online fights.

-[D-YS] Now you should be able to fight without worrying about what stage you're on.

-[D-YS] Next, you'll be able to view opponent information before the start of a ranked match.

-[D-YS] You'll see their name, connection speed, grade, etc. all before you actually accept the fight

-[D-YS] And good news for IPL, NEC, Season's Beatings, DID and all the other tournaments out there! We're adding an Exhibition Mode!

-[D-YS] You can unlock all the characters, (almost) all costumes, and all stages for offline versus matches

-[D-YS] There's still more in the works, but I'm only gonna talk about what I've actually seen myself. So stay tuned for more updates!

For him that is something exciting because he is a tournament organizer. That function will relieve a lot of stress for tournament organizers.
i understand. really though, shouldn't have all characters been unlocked from the beginning regardless?

GLoRToR said:
How do you lag on purpose? I want some free wins.

From Wikipedia:

Artificial lag

In the peer-to-peer gaming model, lagging is what happens when the stream of data between one or more players gets slowed or interrupted, causing movement to stutter and make opponents appear to behave erratically. By using a lag switch, a player is able to disrupt upload from the console to the server, while their own console queues up the actions performed. The goal is to gain advantage over another player without reciprocation; opponents slow down or stop moving, allowing the lag switch user to easily outmaneuver them. From the opponents' perspective, the player using the device may appear to be teleporting, invisible or invincible, while the opponents suffer delayed animations and fast-forwarded game play, delivered in bursts.[4] Some gaming communities refer to this method as "tapping" which refers to the users "tapping" on and off their internet connection to create the lag.

The term "lag switch" encompasses many methods of disrupting the network communication between a console and its server. One method is by attaching a physical device, called a hardware lag switch, to a standard Ethernet cable. By flipping the switch on and off, the physical connection between the console and the server is disrupted.[5] This can also be achieved by simply unplugging the Ethernet cord going to the console, causing a disruption in the player's internet connection. Other methods, called a software or wireless lag switch, involve using a computer program. In this method, the cheater runs an application on a computer connected to the same network as the console. The application hogs the network bandwidth, disrupting the communication between the console and its server. An example of such an application is Laggsta.[6] However, one cannot do this for an unlimited amount of time. Usually, having no internet connection for 30 seconds will cause one's character / player to be kicked from the game due to inactivity / no internet connection.

Blah blah blah...first, fix the glitch where the game freezes (endless loading screen) when you're invited to a room, or join to a lobby, where a friend is playing.

Yay, they are using one of my suggestions. I tweeted this to them on the 23rd of October.

Jamie Washington@KountBlackula
@TeamNINJAStudio For player/ranked matches, the option to accept or reject. If the connection is bad, no use trying to play through it.

And then I tweeted this to them on the 31st of October to reiterate.

Jamie Washington@KountBlackula
@TeamNINJAStudio #DOA5_balance For simple/ranked matches, show the connection of the opponent first and allow accept/reject of challenge.

[D-YS] Throwdowns will now work for ranked matches too. So you'll be able to connect with a ranked match opponent even while training.

This basically makes ranked mode playable. Fighting games should allow to play arcade or training mode while waiting for matches, like it's done in arcades. This also should positively affect pool of players available for play.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD