Team NINJA does a 33-man Developer Tournament

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Yohei Shimbori recently tweeted that the development team decided to hold a 33-man tournament amongst the staff. He has uploaded the finals of the tournament which is Hayate vs Hitomi. As far as I know, he did not tell which members of the staff were the finalists but they were two of the employees who worked on game balance. He says a lot of fun was had by the team, and that they may release a video of the event at a later time.

Yohei Shimbori said:
I was all ready to win the thing but... I lost to one someone who was working on game balance (and fought against the Dengeki staff a little while back). I'll just chalk it up to me selecting random. That's my reason (excuse) for losing! The final was between two people who both worked on game balance. And how do you think those people fighting for real after all their work felt? Maybe we'll make a movie of that later. They were both used to DOA5's fighting style. They sidestepped and bluffed Critical Bursts and did lots of other stuff that only comes with practice.

I'm pretty sure the staff will buy DOA5 and play online. I know I will. So if you come across someone who fights like be a developer, be nice and play with us. Then beat us. :) We'll be tweeting some new info about Dead or Alive 5 this week! Stay tuned!

DyByHands

That was the final? Even I would have a shot against those guys :) Though, I am sure they were just messin around.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
That was the final? Even I would have a shot against those guys :) Though, I am sure they were just messin around.

Knowing their schedules and Japan's typical tournament style. I'd expect that the tournament was one match single-elimination.

PhoenixVFIRE

She does look pretty nice.
Really? That's cool, I guess.
I remember them continuously stressing that graphics will improve along the development process.
It's nice to see Hayate's white ninja outfit as well. Thanks for sharing this Mr. Wah!
Yeah, even for DOA4, if you guys have seen a lot of the old footage, the models look and play different than after release. Also, I agree, I really like the updated look of Hayate's white ninja outfit :) In fact, in it's current form, I like it better than the other two he has. I could be wrong on this, but doesn't the rest of the polishing and rendering usually one of the last things done to games? That's why every time you see a game, it progressively looks better and better but by the end it's just fantastic?

synce

Looks the same to me, maybe the shadows improved from alpha demo though and there's probably less glitches with small objects...

Jin Masters

Yes im loving the polished looked to hayates outfit. And the return of his 3f+k string. 2 more damn weeks and im taking a vacation from life. lol

x Sypher x

Hayate's sword looks bigger than what it used to be. He probably had to get a new one after lending his old one to Hayabusa in NG3 lol.

MeanMrMustard

They were pretty bad. And where do you get this "not taking it serious" thing? Why wouldn't they? I would expect people working on balance would at least know max damage juggles and how to slow escape. The hitomi player just mashed counters when he got stunned. Maybe that's why they took out some 3in1s and 2in1s because they don't like not being able to hold at all times. The only good thing I saw in the video was the sidesteps of strings.

MeanMrMustard

Yeah I know that, but these were the guys involved in game balance, which means their job was the play the game. Their playstyle gives us insight on their mindset on how the game should be balanced, and all I saw from their playstyle was DOA4 with a sidestep. This sheds light on why some of the changes from the E3 and later GVN/IPL builds were made.

Doug Nguyen

They were pretty bad. And where do you get this "not taking it serious" thing? Why wouldn't they? I would expect people working on balance would at least know max damage juggles and how to slow escape. The hitomi player just mashed counters when he got stunned. Maybe that's why they took out some 3in1s and 2in1s because they don't like not being able to hold at all times. The only good thing I saw in the video was the sidesteps of strings.
I said probably because it didnt seem like some huge tournament with money involved, which i assumed meant it was just some casual gathering. And plus this is only one video, you cant expect every game to go as planned. "And where do you get this "not taking it serious" thing? Why wouldn't they?", games aren't even worth being taken so seriously all the time, and its just an opinion, everybody has one. But yeah i guess they were bad, but not horrible, they're just lacking in the technical stuff.

DrDogg

I was fairly disappointed at the lack of slow escape and emphasis on counter spam. Also interesting that the two characters here are two that happen to play the DOA4 stun and don't utilize the new system tools well.

Not a single CB, sit-down stun, or any kind of unholdable situation. The Hayate player had the perfect opportunity to go for a sit-down stun into free launch and he didn't.

I don't expect these guys to be good, but if they are on the balance team, this footage is certainly troubling... and quite telling.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD