Team Ninja On Why Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Is Missing Features On 360 And PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I don't post here much so this post alone should tell you how upset but more disappointed I am about what's going on. We've been trying to truly figure out what's going on with OUR Team and the answer is simply KOEI. I've made plans to make another stream this coming Saturday evening. I'd guess a lot of you wont want to miss it.

MASTER
:hayabusa:
I'll check the stream out as well.

hollow

Seems as though TN has been making very poor choices as of late. I mean damn PS3 and 360 users are basically rebuying ultimate with a few more costumes. Why even make it available for last gen at all if last gen are going to be missing more than half of the new
Shit?

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Seems as though TN has been making very poor choices as of late. I mean damn PS3 and 360 users are basically rebuying ultimate with a few more costumes. Why even make it available for last gen at all if last gen are going to be missing more than half of the new
Shit?
Because then the issue would be that it's not fair last gen owners don't get to buy Last Round due to it being exclusive to next gen hardware. Team Ninja tried to remedy this by releasing a free update for last gen owners, but because of the missing content, it's not good enough. But honestly, there has to be some incentive for people to get Last Round on current gen hardware. If people could just get the full Last Round package on PS3/360, I doubt many would even buy Last Round, even if they bought a PS4/XB1 in the future. Either way, the situation would have been a lose-lose. It was either keep it current gen, piss off last gen owners, and divide the online community OR bring it to last gen, cut content, still piss off last gen owners, but allow the online community to play with each other. Team Ninja was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Intelligent Alpha

Because then the issue would be that it's not fair last gen owners don't get to buy Last Round due to it being exclusive to next gen hardware. Team Ninja tried to remedy this by releasing a free update for last gen owners, but because of the missing content, it's not good enough. But honestly, there has to be some incentive for people to get Last Round on current gen hardware. If people could just get the full Last Round package on PS3/360, I doubt many would even buy Last Round, even if they bought a PS4/XB1 in the future. Either way, the situation would have been a lose-lose. It was either keep it current gen, piss off last gen owners, and divide the online community OR bring it to last gen, cut content, still piss off last gen owners, but allow the online community to play with each other. Team Ninja was caught between a rock and a hard place.

The incentives are the problem! They aren't offering anything they couldn't offer on last gen! It's this "Pre-Order" garbage! I preorder TR9 - Nothing came with it! NOTHING! Shooters? A suped-up gun! I'm talking about the in-game crap! I got a "returned" pre-ordered copy of DOA5V - nothing, but swimsuits (I guess the previous owner kept all the physical stuff)

I could just imagine what you'd get if you pre-order LR. I'm saying there are no incentives regardless of the game you get. But PO or not, I still don't see any incentive to get it regardless of the console chosen! they already pissed people off when Ultimate came out even if those same folks got Ultimate anyway! (Or the console folks, which led to the Ultimate disc in the first place!)

Last edited:

GeomighT

If you're over 16 can't afford PS4/X1 while spending more than 2 hours a day on doa/youtube/fsd/netflix you need to be hit with the reality stick to get a job for 2 weeks then at least you can quit,then go back to being lazy with a glacier white PS4.

Its a good business move that will hurt them initially and potentially pay off later, likely DoA 6 is guaranteed to be a full current gen title (PS4 and X1) they need to motivate there dedicated fan base over on last gen to switch systems so they can balance out their quartile earnings when DOA 6 is released. You also need to remember Team-Ninja is the umbrella company they don't have much say in these decisions.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
If you're over 16 can't afford PS4/X1 while spending more than 2 hours a day on doa/youtube/fsd/netflix you need to be hit with the reality stick to get a job for 2 weeks then at least you can quit,then go back to being lazy with a glacier white PS4.

Its a good business move that will hurt them initially and potentially pay off later, likely DoA 6 is guaranteed to be a full current gen title (PS4 and X1) they need to motivate there dedicated fan base over on last gen to switch systems so they can balance out their quartile earnings when DOA 6 is released. You also need to remember Team-Ninja is the umbrella company they don't have much say in these decisions.

Indeed. Team Ninja doesn't even need to release Last Round on Last-Gen since the main focus of the game is to be a DOA5U port for Current-Gen consoles such as PS4 & XBone. The fact that they'll be releasing a version of LR for Last-Gen systems shows that they don't want to completely leave out Last-Gen players. IMHO, if you want to play Last Round the way it's meant to be played? Get a Current-Gen system! If not? Then you have to settle for the "Last-Gen" versions of LR. TN could've just said "Fuck You" to Last-Gen owners and only made the game for Current-Gen owners.

I plan to get the game on PS4 since I saved up for one earlier this year because eventually I'm gunna have to make the jump to Current-Gen.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I am going to make the jump to Next-Gen as well. Looks like I will be investing in a Xbox One.

Don't know if I should get a stick from Madcatz, wait for Qanba to make theirs, or get a tournament-legal converter.

HaKaShU

I can see why a lot of last gen owners are angry but it makes sense for them to move forward to the current generation hardware. Last generation hardware is holding back the newer games. Think about all the games that have come out to current generation consoles, Titanfall, Destiny, CoD, etc. All of these titles are technically held back graphically because they have to be optimized for both last generation and current generation.

If you want games to look better, there has to be a point where developers drop last generation support. Take for instance Persona Ultimax that just released. I have no sales numbers but I don't think it sold that well. Most of the gamers are ready to move to the next platform.

Because Last Round is being release on both current and last generation hardware, I would assume the Team Ninja team is split where one team is working on xbone/ps4 while the other works on 360/ps3. This takes away some manpower from the main development team. If Team Ninja was putting all their time towards the current generation product we might have gotten more features.

It actually makes sense that certain features will be left out. Less people working on the last generation version so less development time, etc etc. I agree that there is probably some marketing involved as well trying to transition the community to current generation consoles. With that being said, I've been waiting for a current generation port and was extremely happy when they announced it. As much as I love my last generation consoles, I barley play them now.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I can see why a lot of last gen owners are angry but it makes sense for them to move forward to the current generation hardware. Last generation hardware is holding back the newer games. Think about all the games that have come out to current generation consoles, Titanfall, Destiny, CoD, etc. All of these titles are technically held back graphically because they have to be optimized for both last generation and current generation.

If you want games to look better, there has to be a point where developers drop last generation support. Take for instance Persona Ultimax that just released. I have no sales numbers but I don't think it sold that well. Most of the gamers are ready to move to the next platform.

Because Last Round is being release on both current and last generation hardware, I would assume the Team Ninja team is split where one team is working on xbone/ps4 while the other works on 360/ps3. This takes away some manpower from the main development team. If Team Ninja was putting all their time towards the current generation product we might have gotten more features.

It actually makes sense that certain features will be left out. Less people working on the last generation version so less development time, etc etc. I agree that there is probably some marketing involved as well trying to transition the community to current generation consoles. With that being said, I've been waiting for a current generation port and was extremely happy when they announced it. As much as I love my last generation consoles, I barley play them now.

I doubt they split into two teams. Most likely they worked on the last gen LR first, ported it over to the xbox one/ps4, then added all the next gen features only while turning up the graphical settings. But who knows lol.

Game don't even look impressive at all in the graphics department for the ps4/x1 anyway lol

Intelligent Alpha

I doubt they split into two teams. Most likely they worked on the last gen LR first, ported it over to the xbox one/ps4, then added all the next gen features only while turning up the graphical settings. But who knows lol.

Game don't even look impressive at all in the graphics department for the ps4/x1 anyway lol

TR9: Fraud Edition all over again? Damn! hahaha!! XD

HaKaShU

I mean we can assume anything but we don't really know. All I know is that it's a common practice for teams to split up when juggling multiple projects. A lot of the big games had two studios or two developers working on a title, one for current generation and one for last generation. We also don't completely understand the architecture of the consoles so I don't think it's super easy to port. If that were the case you would be seeing a lot more ports. It takes time to port games, at least a year which is right in line with the dead or alive time frame of when the game originally launched.

If you want an example of two teams working within the same company just look at Platinum games. They recently release Bayonetta 2 as well as the Legend of Korra game. It was obvious that the "B" team was working on Korra while the "A" team was working on Bayonetta 2 considering how the games turned out. Team Ninja is probably working on two big games right now. Dead or Alive and then the next game in the Ninja Gaiden series. It makes sense that they would be dividing up duties between what is considered priority. Obviously a last generation version of the game is not considered a high priority. As consumers we can't just look at things as black and white. Why does the last generation port have less features? Because investors don't want to see their money being wasted on a product that won't be high in sales.

In terms of graphics, like you said this is a port. This is not a full fledged release on next generation. At it's core it is based on the original Dead or Alive 5 engine. Even then it is one of the better looking titles on current generation in terms of fighters. I also think getting it to run a consistent 60 fps and 1080p is huge.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Common 1080/60fps for a fighter like DOA isn't hard at all to achieve. its 1v1 with hardly anything taxing going on lol. All triggers/event seem to be static anyway. (Im no expert on game developing, im just guessing based on my programming/technical experience) so I could just be speaking out my ass lol.

Last of us managed to do 1080/60 (yes consistent), that game has hell a lot more going on screen than doa lol.

Team Ninja actually did split up to two teams a while ago, it was announced that one team would work on DOA and the other for NG and other titles. That's why I doubted that there was two teams working on LR (one for last gen and one for next) since the teams are already split.

Last edited:

HaKaShU

I'm a bit confused what you are getting it? Previous fighters on last generation were not 60 FPS combined with native 1080p. I'm pretty sure they ran at 60 FPS but they were upscaled in resolution for consoles.

Also Dead or Alive is probably one of the better looking fighting game series with better character detail and more going on with the environment. You want to talk about mostly static talk about the Street Fighter series on a 2D plane. Dead or Alive is a 3D fighter and most stages have ways you can interact with the environment not to mention multiple stages have different tiers (knocked out of buildings, through walls, etc). You also have dirt, sweat and water effects on some stages.

It also took Last of Us to be ported to the ps4 to achieve consistent 1080p with 60 FPS. It also doesn't make sense to compare apples to oranges in terms of genre. We are talking about fighting games. What other fighting game looks better than DOA? Injustice? Mortal Kombat? Soul Calibur? Tekken? Looking at it from that perspective it's still rather impressive in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD