Team NINJA's Official DOA Series Summary Released

Derock

DOA's story is at least relatively easy to understand for the most part. I just want TN to ignore Dimensions.

They can keep some stuff. I can list a few:

*Fame and Helena's announcement speeches
*Kasumi Alpha's personality, tendencies and transformation into Alpha-152
*Ayane and Elliot
*Kasumi and Ayane's updated scenes
*Kasumi as a high school student in disguise in 3
*Ayane reconnects with Ayame
*Lisa "trying" to seduce Ryu
*Irene's involvement into the plot, despite becoming damsel in distress once more

Ignore the following:
*Ryu "helped" Kasumi in her fight against Raidou
*Christie suddenly saved Kasumi before the first tournament
*Jann Lee and Leifang's scene in 3
*The fight with Genra/Omega, actually Genra's whole heel-turn
*The slapfest, ALL of it!
*Oh and Ayane also became suicidal before the 3rd tournament

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
They can keep some stuff. I can list a few:

*Fame and Helena's announcement speeches
*Kasumi Alpha's personality, tendencies and transformation into Alpha-152
*Ayane and Elliot
*Kasumi and Ayane's updated scenes
*Kasumi as a high school student in disguise in 3
*Ayane reconnects with Ayame
*Lisa "trying" to seduce Ryu
*Irene's involvement into the plot, despite becoming damsel in distress once more

Ignore the following:
*Ryu "helped" Kasumi in her fight against Raidou
*Christie suddenly saved Kasumi before the first tournament
*Jann Lee and Leifang's scene in 3
*The fight with Genra/Omega, actually Genra's whole heel-turn
*The slapfest, ALL of it!
Yeah I like everything about Dimensions except Ryu's parts. Love it or hate it Dimensions made sense of the messy plot Itagaki didn't do a good job organizing to begin with.

Hayabusiness

The worst part is that Ryu already has NG to do his cool ninja story moments. Just make a good NG4 instead of making him do everything in DOA, it's not his story, it's Kasumi's and Helena's (for the most part, at least).

One thing I like about DOA' story, aside from the campiness and the drama, is that it puts female characters in important roles and cool moments (like anything Ayane did in 3 or Kasumi killing Raidou).
Dimensions just slapped that out of the series and it's disappointing... It's only good for memes, tbh. I hope 6 just makes Ryu take a seat like he did in 3, 4 and 5 let the actual DOA characters shine, as much as I like him.

Also fuck Ayane/Eliot, it's shiet and forced. There are better ways to retcon HAYUATEH SAMUAHHH out of her heart. Preferably ways that don't make her fall in love with someone.

Sotherius

To be really fair, Ryu Hayabusa is a super ninja and he is basically unstopable, but the way he was written in the story of dimensions just removed any kind of progression or power other characters could have, he is already the one that kills the tengu in DOA 2, leave Raidou to Kasumi in DOA 1, Omega to DOA 3, and Alpha not being dealt with in DOA 4.

It also has a lot of problems with defining certain characters (Ayane and Genra for example).

Also, slapfest, the only slaps i need are the ones that that Raidou gave to Hayate...

In general, we lose more by Dimensions being canon than we gain from it, and honestly, i like playing dimensions a lot.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
So like... except everything then?

Because Dimensions felt like it was basically "Ryu Hayabusa is a super ninja so he is unstoppable and did everything himself. End story."
I just didn't like his presence, Ayane and Kasumi did everything themselves in their stories but for some reason TN wanted to lump in Ryu and I feel that takes away from their characters since in the original DOA1 Kasumi was capable and was able to beat Raidou and Ayane was able to take down Genra herself with no assistance from Ryu, her being tagged with Hayate I can understand but Ryu shouldn't have to shove his "Oh I can beat this person easily but I'll give you a challenge by letting you do it/Let me help them out, they can't do it alone" type aura in every important fight.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think we're saying the same thing.

Also, basically everything revolving DOA3 story should be punted as fan fiction from Team NINJA. They did Hayate hard. I mean original DOA3 you could argue the "badassness" Hayate had, and Team NINJA seems to have this hate for Hayate after neutering his character both in Dimensions and in DOA5.

I mean, Hayate and Hayabusa were friends and rivals, not master and student. Yet, what's it say about Hayate as well as Ayane when neither can touch Genra without Hayabusa holding him down for them. Not to forget the whole "Log trick" b.s. of their fight.

"Since when have you grown more powerful than me, Hayate?"
"Since I learned how to do a cartwheel."

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I think we're saying the same thing.

Also, basically everything revolving DOA3 story should be punted as fan fiction from Team NINJA. They did Hayate hard. I mean original DOA3 you could argue the "badassness" Hayate had, and Team NINJA seems to have this hate for Hayate after neutering his character both in Dimensions and in DOA5.

I mean, Hayate and Hayabusa were friends and rivals, not master and student. Yet, what's it say about Hayate as well as Ayane when neither can touch Genra without Hayabusa holding him down for them. Not to forget the whole "Log trick" b.s. of their fight.

"Since when have you grown more powerful than me, Hayate?"
"Since I learned how to do a cartwheel."
Yeah I ultimately think TN wants him to come off as the best fighter in the world since his native game NG presented him as such basically and that's obviously raised the expectations of die hard Ryu fans, kind of like the mishimas in Tekken who most Tekken fans think are unbeatable by anyone who's not of Mishma blood. Plus he needs a purpose since he really has no reason to be in DOA tournaments, he's basically a staple guest character xD

Hopefully in DOA6 Nyotengu should keep him busy but just don't kill her like he did Bankotsubo >.>

TheDragonAwakens

Frankly, I feel that after defeating Tengu, Hayabusa should just be removed from the DOA story completely unless something of supernatural origin appears, which will probably justify in having a role in the story.

Hayabusiness

Many DOA characters are not very story relevant, and that's fine.
Also modern NG Ryu was born from DOA1, he is a DOA character as much as he is a NG character, he is not a guest by any mean.

What he is not is the protagonist, and we all agree on that. He is immensely strong for more than one reason, explained in detail by NG lore, but that should not make him a central character in DOA. Bankotsubo is also very strong lore wise but he is not exactly relevant is he? Not to mention story and lore strenght means bull in game balance ("no wrestler should defeat a ninja" my ass).

Also, no DOA or NG fan cries about Ryu not having spotlight in DOA because NG exists. What NG fans want is a good new NG game.

TheDragonAwakens

Also, no DOA or NG fan cries about Ryu not having spotlight in DOA because NG exists. What NG fans want is a good new NG game.

Like you, I don't care if he has a spotlight in DOA, but the way he is being written in the DOA story is just garbage.

Edit: NG3 is also somewhat guilty of this.

Hayabusiness

Like you, I don't care if he has a spotlight in DOA, but the way he is being written in the DOA story is just garbage.
The fact that he slapped Kasumi in DOAD is is out of character. And yet now people in this fandom think THAT is how Ryu is, without any doubt or concern...

The calm and collected assassin, who has shown multiple times to be good with children and a wise man, bitchslapping a 16 yo girl?? What an asspull.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Also modern NG Ryu was born from DOA1, he is a DOA character as much as he is a NG character, he is not a guest by any mean.

What he is not is the protagonist, and we all agree on that. He is immensely strong for more than one reason, explained in detail by NG lore, but that should not make him a central character in DOA. Bankotsubo is also very strong lore wise but he is not exactly relevant is he? Not to mention story and lore strenght means bull in game balance ("no wrestler should defeat a ninja" my ass).

I personally don't care tbh, I'm not too fond of Ryu as a character and don't really acknowledge him but just don't like his way of overshadowing Kasumi. And i never said any of that last bit you said, it's not about spotlight. It's more about making him seem like he's unbeatable which regardless of lore or not annoys me

Sotherius

Ryu is one of the main characters, but the fact is that he is too powerful so getting him done in the right manner is probably not the easiest task ever. Though in DOA 5 they managed to put him out of the final battle just in time.

Hayate has been shafted in the story for too long, the entire series is made on the foundation that he was too weak to defeat raidou in the village (and Kasumi defeated Raidou with the same or less training). Not only his character has no development, but he seems to be the weakest of all the main ninja characters.

Ayane has been put to the side since DOA 3, which is not good, because her arc never really had an end, but i'm glad at least her story with kasumi is over.

Kasumi is the main character of the series, so she remaining a focus makes sense.

Ryu as a character, is weird, like i said, he is too powerful due to Ninja Gaiden reasons.
So either you can, make the gap between Ryu and the others not so wide, but putting them on equal footing (which i being a ninja gaiden fan more than a doa fan, don't mind, but i know some people would), and honestly, they have a basis for that on both DOA and Ninja Gaiden, in DOA, Ryu and Hayate were rivals, Ryu let Kasumi deal with Alpha 152 on her own on DOA 4, and in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, we see ayane dealing with greater fiends and on.

Or, he is way more powerful, but he is absent in the main story, by either doing something else, or being some sort of mentor figure.

Anyways, i would like to see what else you guys think can be done with the main characters in future games!

Derock

The fact that he slapped Kasumi in DOAD is is out of character. And yet now people in this fandom think THAT is how Ryu is, without any doubt or concern...

The calm and collected assassin, who has shown multiple times to be good with children and a wise man, bitchslapping a 16 yo girl?? What an asspull.

I agree. It was one of the reasons why there were slapfests all over the damn game. It was one of the scenes that didn't need it, TN should've just updated their fight scene from 2 with Irene bits and pieces like they did with Kasumi and Ayane's fight afterwards. Could had ended with despite winning the fight, Kasumi began to fatigue while Ryu is still standing, not being tired because of his status. Then Kasumi ignored Ryu's words and leaves. Better than worried Kasumi trying to find her brother then suddenly get bitchslapped by Ryu of all people.

Hayabusiness

I personally don't care tbh, I'm not too fond of Ryu as a character and don't really acknowledge him but just don't like his way of overshadowing Kasumi. And i never said any of that last bit you said, it's not about spotlight. It's more about making him seem like he's unbeatable which regardless of lore or not annoys me
If you don't even acknowledge him then the fact he is much stronger lore wise shouldn't annoy you.
But for some reason when this is applied to other ninjas you like, such as Kasumi or Hayate, it doesn't.

At least other fans who compare the ninjas to the Mishima acknowledge it's an issue with the whole ninja subgroup than with just one guy.

Also I don't think he ever overshadowed Kasumi in any game bar DOAD which everyone acknowledges of having an embarrassing story. In 5, he was a non-presence so not far from what you want him to be.

Ryu is one of the main characters, but the fact is that he is too powerful so getting him done in the right manner is probably not the easiest task ever. Though in DOA 5 they managed to put him out of the final battle just in time.

Hayate has been shafted in the story for too long, the entire series is made on the foundation that he was too weak to defeat raidou in the village (and Kasumi defeated Raidou with the same or less training). Not only his character has no development, but he seems to be the weakest of all the main ninja characters.

Ayane has been put to the side since DOA 3, which is not good, because her arc never really had an end, but i'm glad at least her story with kasumi is over.

Kasumi is the main character of the series, so she remaining a focus makes sense.

Ryu as a character, is weird, like i said, he is too powerful due to Ninja Gaiden reasons.
So either you can, make the gap between Ryu and the others not so wide, but putting them on equal footing (which i being a ninja gaiden fan more than a doa fan, don't mind, but i know some people would), and honestly, they have a basis for that on both DOA and Ninja Gaiden, in DOA, Ryu and Hayate were rivals, Ryu let Kasumi deal with Alpha 152 on her own on DOA 4, and in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, we see ayane dealing with greater fiends and on.

Or, he is way more powerful, but he is absent in the main story, by either doing something else, or being some sort of mentor figure.

Anyways, i would like to see what else you guys think can be done with the main characters in future games!
I like the idea of him being a mentor figure, it fits with his personality better than a bitchslap. I don't think he should interfere with the DOATEC story too much, because it's not his business. Like KL69 mentioned before he could fight against Nyotengu, after all she supposedly is a fiend and that's Ryu's thing. Although I'd want Bankotsubo to come back too, at this point.
Maybe Ryu and Nyotengu could team up to stop him? It's silly but fun, if you ask me.

human013

The portrayal of Ryu in DOA was the reason I was was a bit dumbfounded when I played NG for the first time. In DOA I saw a super ninja that could deal with everything, whether in the shadows or not, and is also vastly superior to the other characters and ninjas. Then in NG he struggles with a guy using a rapier and gets cursed. Threw me off a bit. Ryu seemed untouchable in DOA.

TheDragonAwakens

Like it or not, Busa is unbeatable. If Kasumi ever defeats Hayabusa, you can bet that a lot of people are going to be pissed, like how many people are at DOAD for Busa stealing the spotlight.

I feel that if he really needed to be in the story, it should be extremely minimal and he should not step a foot into the MIST compound or whatever location it is. And if he does provide aid to the Mugen Tenshin ninjas, I want him to end his role in the story with this line or something similar: "This is the furthest I will help you, you are on your own now."

The portrayal of Ryu in DOA was the reason I was was a bit dumbfounded when I played NG for the first time. In DOA I saw a super ninja that could deal with everything, whether in the shadows or not, and is also vastly superior to the other characters and ninjas. Then in NG he struggles with a guy using a rapier and gets cursed. Threw me off a bit. Ryu seemed untouchable in DOA.

He wasn't like this before NG3. He killed lots of Greater Fiends and demons, as well as three powerful deities.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If you don't even acknowledge him then the fact he is much stronger lore wise shouldn't annoy you.
But for some reason when this is applied to other ninjas you like, such as Kasumi or Hayate, it doesn't.

At least other fans who compare the ninjas to the Mishima acknowledge it's an issue with the whole ninja subgroup than with just one guy.

Also I don't think he ever overshadowed Kasumi in any game bar DOAD which everyone acknowledges of having an embarrassing story. In 5, he was a non-presence so not far from what you want him to be.

I like the idea of him being a mentor figure, it fits with his personality better than a bitchslap. I don't think he should interfere with the DOATEC story too much, because it's not his business. Like KL69 mentioned before he could fight against Nyotengu, after all she supposedly is a fiend and that's Ryu's thing. Although I'd want Bankotsubo to come back too, at this point.
Maybe Ryu and Nyotengu could team up to stop him? It's silly but fun, if you ask me.
I don't like Hayate, he's a bad brother and aside from his looks and bod I don't like him. And Kasumi is the main character who won the first tournament with her raw skill so she's definitely one of the strongest girls since she's also a ninja, that's why I have an issue when TN tries to downplay her since it's a fact she's one of the strongest characters.

And he did besides Dimension, he always wants to show up and take away the more personal moments from characters, like when she found alpha 152 and was preparing to fight it in DOA4, he shows up out of nowhere and steals her moment. Same in DOA5, when Phase 4 was awakened he was the first ninja do to do anything and while for some reason Kasumi and the others stood there in their stances, HE had to be the first one to run up and fight it, and Kasumi was the last one...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD