Texture Editing (PC)

JonnyTwoDelta

I never realized just how shitty the ground textures are in this game

View attachment 10791

Compare with a 10 year old DOA4

maxresdefault.jpg

I doubt anyone will do an HD stage pack but that would be awesome
Man I miss that Vegas Strip. Makes no sense to not include such a vibrant and interesting level in the game.
I don't think a full HD texture pack is necessary for all the levels. Most people have focal blur running through ENB anyway and even without it, a highres texture on a tree trunk isn't a huge difference. The ground texture however, as you noticed, always stands out. It's gotta be true to the original or an improvement to the look of the game though. Not like that guy who replaced Zack's Island with brown sand and Forest with green astroturf. Aesthetics, people. Aesthetics.
I give Holden's HD sand for Zack's Island one solid thumb up. I'd give it two, but my other hand is preoccupied appreciating his nude mods.

ChrisArmoun

I may have to release my DLC pack prematurely. It's now soared to 418MB and consists of 51 costume mods total. Many are costume swaps but some also have some texture reworking or are existing costumes with additional hair options. Current characters covered are Hitomi, Kokoro, Kasumi, Marie, Mila, Lisa, Pai, Phase4, Rachel, Sarah and Tina. I wanted to create proper preview for the images as well but it's quite awhile. I did create a new costume for Mila today though. It's the most substantial changes I've done thus far to an outfit.
MilaMatador.jpg

xDevious

Standard Donor
I may have to release my DLC pack prematurely. It's now soared to 418MB and consists of 51 costume mods total. Many are costume swaps but some also have some texture reworking or are existing costumes with additional hair options. Current characters covered are Hitomi, Kokoro, Kasumi, Marie, Mila, Lisa, Pai, Phase4, Rachel, Sarah and Tina. I wanted to create proper preview for the images as well but it's quite awhile. I did create a new costume for Mila today though. It's the most substantial changes I've done thus far to an outfit.
View attachment 10792

That's an absolutely gorgeous costume for Mila! I'm extremely excited to check this DLC pack out. :)

synce

View attachment 10792

This reminds me of an old Dynasty Warriors character, she also had short hair but I have no idea the name.

Goshtic

View attachment 10792

Good job? Nah, GREAT job man!

You make Team Ninja's texture/artist department look like armatures and don't know what they're doing now-a-days. I mean, they are still using PS2 quality textures. They need to get with the time(s) and move on to bigger resolution texture maps. Thanks for showing how it's done and we'll let them know if they ever make a Dead or Alive 6, they better not be using shitty ass textures again. Because once you release your DLC Mod, it's going to make news. It's going to show Team Ninja that their game could've look amazing from the start on the PC version had they bothered to actually cared about their own game and not give out meaningless threats to the PC gaming community.

Continue to set the bar even higher for them. Show them what just one person of an online community can do that their ENTIRE F'ING TEAM DIDN'T DO. Of course, there are many more amazing PC Users doing amazing things with this game. It's thanks to you people that make the game even more enjoyable to play!

The Enforcer

Continue to set the bar even higher for them. Show them what just one person of an online community can do that their ENTIRE F'ING TEAM DIDN'T DO.

Keep, in mind they have had a lot of other things to work on like THE ENTIRE ENGINE,characters, animations, stages, online, etc, etc... that contribute to the process that still act as a vehicle for people to be able to make mods and put them into it...

@ChrisArmoun, Awesome work on that Mila. It may be helpful to break stuff up into smaller DLC packs. Just to paint a picture down the road, people may start having issues with the pack working with other official DLC spots or other mod packages. Unless the DLC Tool was updated, I thought it had limitations on just how many costume slots can be used per character, based on a core game file limit somewhere.

ChrisArmoun

Keep, in mind they have had a lot of other things to work on like THE ENTIRE ENGINE,characters, animations, stages, online, etc, etc... that contribute to the process that still act as a vehicle for people to be able to make mods and put them into it...

@ChrisArmoun, Awesome work on that Mila. It may be helpful to break stuff up into smaller DLC packs. Just to paint a picture down the road, people may start having issues with the pack working with other official DLC spots or other mod packages. Unless the DLC Tool was updated, I thought it had limitations on just how many costume slots can be used per character, based on a core game file limit somewhere.
Agreed on your response to Goshtic. I don't want this to turn into a bash on TN. They could far surpass anything I can put out if they chose to I and don't want to get into comparisons of better or worse. Art and design is always subjective so I intend to present my pack only as my own take on things. To bash TN would be to discredit the immense effort the team and its artist put into giving us the game. Every game has a financial and memory budget, so there's no way they can satisfy the community completely. Someone will always find fault and everyone wants something different.

As far as the size. I was originally doing smaller packs but ran into frequent crashes trying to run more than one DLC pack. I struggled to get 2 small packs running and 3 never happened. For whatever reason the game just does not like multiples packs. I restarted from scratch for my own personal use, combining my original packs into one, and it just ballooned as I got more and more ideas. Eventually I decided I'd share whatever I do. People looking to run several packs will definitely want to avoid mine.

The Enforcer

Oh good point, I didn't realize there was issue with multiple packs... I've had four single packs running plus 3 official so far. Did you always have them named with numbers and not letters?

Goshtic

Then you should've kept in mind I wasn't talking about the rest of the team. I specifically pointed out the Artist/Texture Department on my VERY FIRST sentence. I don't know how you could've missed that. Also, don't take my statement out of context. There are multiple teams handling different projects and aspect of the game. You've got the programmers, artist, music, internal play testers, etc. When I said the Entire Team, I'm stilling referencing back to the Artist/Texture team responsible for it.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for TN for their game. Just not respect for the people responsible for handling the textures in their Team. They should replace those people that are better with attention to details.

Kronin

As far as the size. I was originally doing smaller packs but ran into frequent crashes trying to run more than one DLC pack. I struggled to get 2 small packs running and 3 never happened. For whatever reason the game just does not like multiples packs. I restarted from scratch for my own personal use, combining my original packs into one, and it just ballooned as I got more and more ideas. Eventually I decided I'd share whatever I do. People looking to run several packs will definitely want to avoid mine.

Personally I keep in a folder in the game all the DLC custom packs (some of them in combinations of multiple ones that I know can work together) and when I wish to play with another one, I simply switcht the DLC in the beginning and then I start the game. It's an operation of a minute in the end, it's not a big fault. So be sure that I will be able to appreciate your pack and again to use the others when I wish so ;)

More, I'm pretty sure that atool for customizing DLC packs (or for avoiding problems with slots sharing if possible) could be realized sooner or later from the community.

Then you should've kept in mind I wasn't talking about the rest of the team. I specifically pointed out the Artist/Texture Department on my VERY FIRST sentence. I don't know how you could've missed that. Also, don't take my statement out of context. There are multiple teams handling different projects and aspect of the game. You've got the programmers, artist, music, internal play testers, etc. When I said the Entire Team, I'm stilling referencing back to the Artist/Texture team responsible for it.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for TN for their game. Just not respect for the people responsible for handling the textures in their Team. They should replace those people that are better with attention to details.
Actually it's the opposite, the texture artists for this game were very skilled. The engine in many aspects is likely a lot more basic than people realize, it only really looks good due to very hard work. When you combine the PS3 only having 200mb of system memory for games and the xbox360 being limited to 1 dvd worth of data there's very few options for high res textures. People always complain about the levels but it's not as easy as just retexturing them, high res textures don't do much for landscapes, they only look good with clever user of tessellation, paralax occlusion maps or just covering everything with grass as most games end up doing.

ChrisArmoun

Oh good point, I didn't realize there was issue with multiple packs... I've had four single packs running plus 3 official so far. Did you always have them named with numbers and not letters?
I've always had them named with numbers, as letters are a no no. As Kronin stated, I was able to switch between them by renaming the folder I wanted to disable so the game couldn't find it, but having them all active simultaneously proved problematic. Considering the DLC tool won't allow you to edit a pack once it's been closed, you can potentially end up with tons of small packs and have to pick and choose (not to mention remember) which ones you want to use at any one time. I've not shut my computer down in about 5 days (only sleep mode) because I need to keep the file open so I can continue to make changes. Hopefully we'll have the ability to edit them in the future.and such a sacrifice won't need to be made.

Kronin

Considering the DLC tool won't allow you to edit a pack once it's been closed, you can potentially end up with tons of small packs and have to pick and choose (not to mention remember) which ones you want to use at any one time.

Yes, the impossibility to edit the pack after closed is pretty boring; about the reminding of the DLC custom packs, I simply include archive them in folders with the name of the content.

The Enforcer

I don't think the tool will see an edit version, that would involve some really serious calculations to replace a file in the exact location, and then adjust locations of all other files. I'm assuming the reason it is designed that way is to only have to write a new checksum and not have to recalculate it.

I've always had them named with numbers, as letters are a no no. As Kronin stated, I was able to switch between them by renaming the folder I wanted to disable so the game couldn't find it, but having them all active simultaneously proved problematic. Considering the DLC tool won't allow you to edit a pack once it's been closed, you can potentially end up with tons of small packs and have to pick and choose (not to mention remember) which ones you want to use at any one time. I've not shut my computer down in about 5 days (only sleep mode) because I need to keep the file open so I can continue to make changes. Hopefully we'll have the ability to edit them in the future.and such a sacrifice won't need to be made.
I still think the most effective way would be make every custom skin set use the same DLC ID and character slots and just make a simple mod loading program. You wouldn't have to move the files around, the program could switch a symbolic link to each dlc pack to change them. In theory you wouldn't even have to fool around with the .exe or steam if you did it correctly. There's a few downsides, you would only have one custom set at a time rather than being able to select everything with the character select menu. However this probably isn't as big of a problem as it seems, no one is going to want to have to scroll though 100+ costumes in game and with no way to coordinate character slot use every single mod will probably conflict with another persons mod to begin with.

TheRealCoxinator

so this is pretty major and would be great if someone could do asap, but is there a way for you guys to look at the models for each character but not edit them? I just need HD screenshots of his true fighter costume front and back. Preferrebly standing in the typical model T position or even just ingame sumthin.
images

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD