TGS announcement:DOA6 coming out in FEB 15 2019,and honoka,marie,ayane,bayman show up

ryu_highabusa

Someone needs to go back and actually play some more games then...
DOA5U had a robust tutorial mode, Killer Instinct for the Xbox One has a robust tutorial mode, Skullgirls 2nd Encore has a robust tutorial mode. There are PLENTY of fighting games that have strong tutorial modes now, what in the hell are you talking about?
I can't speak for KI but OG Skullgirls had squat iirc (I certainly didn't learn anything and put the game down instantly) and what's in DOA5U/LR is also terrible.

Nothing about what I said was being elitist. I just found the entire situation funny as the stream was showing the controllers and the people were literally mashing on the controller pressing all the buttons at the same time. How hard is it to press single buttons and go "oh thats a punch button" ? I'm not on with Pn33, because no I would never expect someone who doesn't know how to play to know how the critical stuns work, but it aint hard to press punch and kick and figure out what the block button is. These guys were literally spamming block and throw....like use your head a little.
"I'm not being elitist but let me continue my elitist rant"
lol okay

This is exactly the problem: it's almost impossible to do what you said - only a fraction of the population can do what you suggested and they're already the types who play fighting games. Most people can't figure out that kind of stuff and that's why every other games genres actually bother explaining their mechanics and how to play.

Also, every demo of DoA6 we have seen so far prompts you with a tutorial right at the start.....It tells you what button ispunch, kick, throw, block and the special button and what they do and even has you do basic strings.
This is the entire tutorial:
That host DID follow the tutorial. His mashing of random buttons is exactly how the tutorial teaches new players to play. He's playing EXACTLY how the game told him to play. Don't you see that?

I didn't clip this to make fun of the guy, I clipped it to help illustrate the difference between average gamers and FGC people. You take literally all of your base knowledge for granted. To the average person, the button icons on screen don't make sense and don't mesh at all with what the controller has. DOA6 has only three buttons - it never actually explains that. The message average players get is that DOA has 8 buttons (on a PS4 controller) and every button does something different.

Now, I understand what a macro is. And I know you understand what a macro is. But a person just picking up this game has no idea what the heck a macro is; they just see 8 different buttons, all with different actions. "MAN FIGHTING GAMES ARE CONFUSING." Fighting games don't teach you to crawl or walk - they just give you a pair of running shoes and say "Go!"

It was easier in the arcade days to be honest. Far from perfect, but it was better than what we have now. Arcade cabinets would only have 3 clearly-labeled buttons for DOA and a placard detailing some basic inputs and some strings. It's still really barebones but a new player can quickly glance down for an idea of what they should try pressing next. Fighting games at home today have no such convenience and so you get people mashing randomly because they don't understand the logic of strings. All those extra buttons don't help and just add to the confusion. DOAD/5 has that movelist display but it shows everything and overwhelming instead of a simplified, introductory list of genuinely useful moves. Honestly, I would love if the final game came with a little fold-out sheet something like this. Heck, they should have something just like this at demo events now instead of their current signage that just has a controller (I can't find a pic) that shows 8 actions.

And we haven't even touched the subject of actual gameplay mechanics yet..

k7liszX.jpg

Last edited:

Atahotaku

I hope they tone down the sweat a little. Too much, too shiny, too unrealistic for me. In Zack's case after he lose his glasses it's look awful

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD