The DOA5U "Casual" thread. ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brute

Standard Donor
do-not-feed-the-trolls.svg

Hoya Destroyer

Call me bitter but you weren't being polite either rubbing up on people's faces who wanted something else for a DLC.

Unusable? All because it doesn't reveal anything? Try to broaden the horizon beyond swimsuits. You can have a formal dress fight on Lorelei once people received the normal version of the stage with Tina in this costume along with Leifang, Helena, Sarah, Christie and Lisa/La Mariposa in their formal dresses.

Rubbing up on peoples faces? lol. I know what you mean, but I dont think I ever did that. Maybe your'e thinking of when I was suggesting why TN wouldnt do skimpy outfits for the guys? I wasnt being smug or anything, just giving some honest theories. BTW, Im not opposed to skimpy male outfits, for people who want them.
Im sure many people will enjoy having formal dress fights, Im just not one of them.

Rawbietussin

Rubbing up on peoples faces? lol. I know what you mean, but I dont think I ever did that. Maybe your'e thinking of when I was suggesting why TN wouldnt do skimpy outfits for the guys? I wasnt being smug or anything, just giving some honest theories. BTW, Im not opposed to skimpy male outfits, for people who want them.
Im sure many people will enjoy having formal dress fights, Im just not one of them.

This isn't necessarily just about male swimsuits or fanservice costumes but also includes people wanting more actual clothes (for both genders) and simply more costumes for the guys to catch up (the most number of costumes they got are 11-12 compared to the girls who got 22-27), in which for my part, could have done a greater good if that was prioritized first.

Hoya Destroyer

This isn't necessarily just about male swimsuits or fanservice costumes but also includes people wanting more actual clothes (for both genders) and simply more costumes for the guys to catch up (the most number of costumes they got are 11-12 compared to the girls who got 22-27), in which for my part, could have done a greater good if that was prioritized first.

Ive always promoted my own preferences, when it comes to outfits, but I havent criticized other peoples, because they want something different. I dont think its impolite to disagree on things.

Kronin

why would I lie about that? I want male fanservice as much as the next gay

http://kotaku.com/the-numbers-dont-lie-gamers-want-dead-or-alive-bikin-1440546939

Sorry you misunderstood me: I know the article that you mentioned, but I think that @Rawbietussin with his "They really stated that?" in his post, he was talking about this other your sentence: "Yeah TN added gloves to the "Fighter" pack to make it less homoerotic and appealing to heterosexual Male players." and so I was discussing about that sentence me too.

While what you said it's a possible explanation, from what I know no one has ever stated this with certainty like you seemed to imply in your post; the meaning of my post it was just this, not accusing you to lie XD

Personally I don't think so because in the game we have things in opposition with a similar eventual "ban" decision by Team Ninja, like Ein's outfits (constantly blink the eye to similar themes) and some little details (I remember something about the bear being a symbol for the homosexuality and appearing on Bayman's fighter outfit).

However is surely true that Team Ninja decided to not give swimsuits to the male characters like people were asking (at least not ordinary swimsuits, because i.e GenFu or Eliot appear to wear something related to the sea), and so this want say that they thought that couldn't be a good idea. Not necessarily for a matter tied to the sexual orientation, rather I believe because they thought that the majority of the audience of DoA would have preferred to play with semi naked males wearing something tied to the fight rather than a vestiary perfect for going to the beach. So not because going to the sea is "less masculine" XD, but simply for giving a different reason to show fanservice for the males that according to them was able to result more appealing for the majority of the fans.

I wished for Tina a swimsuit that was different from what she has already got, and this being so different (indeed less revealing and more elegant from her others) is for me a nice addition. So I like it ;)

Last edited:

Squizzo

People need to lay off Hoya. If you think he is trolling then you really need to revise your definition of trolling. He simply gave his opinion and never criticised anyone else's.
Some of the old regular members here are too zealous in their criticism of anyone who supports swimsuits or doesn't think that Helena's godess dress or Hayabusa unmasked are the pinnacle of dlc.
Personally I don't mind seeing more swimwear (male & female) if TN puts a decent amount of effort into them and avoids colour swaps.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Yeah, i'm not fond of the idea that we have now 7 swimsuit packs either, but I'm really liking what I see currently. It's not direct rips anymore there's some actual original stuff and it seems to be of fair amount of quality.

Rawbietussin

Personally I don't think so because in the game we have things in opposition with a similar eventual "ban" decision by Team Ninja, like Ein's outfits (constantly blink the eye to similar themes) and some little details (I remember something about the bear being a symbol for the homosexual and appearing on Bayman's fighter outfit).

Wait what? It was a bear? For the longest time I thought the symbol on Bayman's fighter pack shorts was a lion or a bulldog + Sambo written in Russian.

There are honestly a lot of symbols you can attribute to LGBT but a "bear" is more of a sub-culture describing a hyper-masculine man with a larger body frame. I don't think TN did this out of intention now but by using a bear as a symbol could mean he's strong, ruthless or fearless without touching an LGBT's definition of the word.

However is surely true that Team Ninja decided to not give swimsuits to the male characters like people were asking (at least not ordinary swimsuits, because i.e GenFu or Eliot appear to wear something related to the sea), and so this want say that they thought that couldn't be a good idea. Not necessarily for a matter tied to the sexual orientation, rather I believe because they thought that the majority of the audience of DoA would have preferred to play with semi naked males wearing something tied to the fight rather than a vestiary perfect for going to the beach. So not because going to the sea is "less masculine" XD, but simply for giving a different reason to show fanservice for the males that according to them was able to result more appealing for the majority of the fans.

So if we were to get anything for the guys that shows skin, it probably needed a reason to be disguised?

Kronin

Wait what? It was a bear? For the longest time I thought the symbol on Bayman's fighter pack shorts was a lion or a bulldog + Sambo written in Russian.

There are honestly a lot of symbols you can attribute to LGBT but a "bear" is more of a sub-culture describing a hyper-masculine man with a larger body frame. I don't think TN did this out of intention now but by using a bear as a symbol could mean he's strong, ruthless or fearless without touching an LGBT's definition of the word.

I don't know the subject, so I could have said wrong things: I read what I wrote here on the pages of this forum but it's possible that you could be right.

So if we were to get anything for the guys that shows skin, it's probably needed a reason to be disguised?

It's wrong to talk of disguise, Team Ninja has definitely explicitely changed (so without secrets) the theme requested by the fans (from swimsuits to MMA fighters, just like the same name of the DLC pack suggest) because in my opinion thought that for the majority of the players was more easy decide to use Bayman in boxer because ready to fight in a competion rather than for making a swim.

They released this pack just for the fans, IMO making a nice effort on it (the outfits are pretty different between them) and the fact that the models of the characters are far from being so well modeled like the female ones, suggest easily that they haven't ever planned to release a such pack. I think that they genuinely changed the theme just for marketing reasons, a way for having a guarantee to sell a little more the pack thinking anyway to not disatisfy the fans that were asking for a kind of outfits (swimsuits) that in the end would have given to the characters a pretty similar appearence.

Personally I don't see the thing so wrong or like a betrayal for who asked for the male swimsuits (and talk someone that would have liked to get real swimsuits for them), in the end I think that the fans should be however grateful for the release of something never appeared before in a game of the series and made exclusively for a part of them.

Last edited:

Rawbietussin

It's wrong to talk of disguise, Team Ninja has definitely explicitely changed (so without secrets) the theme requested by the fans (from swimsuits to MMA fighters, just like the same name of the DLC pack suggest) because in my opinion thought that for the majority of the players was more easy decide to use Bayman in boxer because ready to fight in a competion rather than for making a swim.

They released this pack just for the fans, IMO making a nice effort on it (the outfits are pretty different between them) and the fact that the models of the characters are far from being so well modeled like the female ones suggest easily that they haven't ever planned to release a such pack. I think that they genuinely changed the theme just for marketing reasons, a way for having a guarantee to sell a little more the pack thinking anyway to not disatisfy the fans that were asking for a kind of outfits (swimsuits) that in the end would have given to the characters a pretty similar appearence.

Personally I don't see the thing so wrong or like a betrayal for who asked for the male swimsuits (and talk someone that would have liked to get real swimsuits for them), in the end I think that the fans should be however grateful for the release of something never appeared before in a game of the series and made exclusively for a part of them.

I am grateful though that they'd shown effort and cut some slack trying to reach out to audiences whom preferred to see the tables turned in fanservice. Though it is rather disheartening for my part that they decided not to do this anymore (if that article was ever truthful).

They could have parted off by doing one final batch or at least gave Jacky, Leon and Ein their own for the sake of 5U getting an all-male pack again.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
bayman_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqghr.jpg

Looks like a bear head to me. Still, I think you guys are going a little overboard with your symbolism, when you detect "gay" symbols here and there. XD

And because we're at it some more:

rig_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqgf4.jpg

zack_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqgkw.jpg

hayate_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6qwo59.jpg

Is that supposed to be an owl on Hayate's trunks? Has, apart from wisdom, probably a gay meaning too. ;P

Kronin

I am grateful though that they'd shown effort and cut some slack trying to reach out to audiences whom preferred to see the tables turned in fanservice. Though it is rather disheartening for my part that they decided not to do this anymore (if that article was ever truthful).

They could have parted off by doing one final batch or at least gave Jacky, Leon and Ein their own for the sake of 5U getting an all-male pack again.

Don't worry, look at the date of that article, is october 2013 (while TN was sponsoring the teaser images for the halloween pack): was just after to have read it that I sent this tweet to Team Ninja https://twitter.com/Kronin1/status/385797407767662592 and also (in a previous tweet) mentioning directly that interview for stating that to get fans that like to buy swimsuits DLC not necessarily means that they wouldn't love more outfits for male characters too (just like my personal case).

Fortunately, also if stating the financial sucess of the female swimsuits, Team Ninja had already decided to listen this part of the fans, indeed they have showned in the following packs after the interview to reserve always a place for the males in their DLCs, creating original ones or bringing back old outfits also for them.

So in the end Team Ninja is trying to satisfy everyone, releasing outfits for male, creating original ones, bringing back old glories, and continuing to release swimsuits pack too. It's this the reason because I don't see anything wrong with more swimsuits pack (that I like also if I prefer ordinary outfits): Team Ninja didn't decided to give us only fanservice bikini for the female characters, on the opposite is trying to make the vestiary for all the roster (less the poor Alpha 152) more various that they can, taking in consideration all the tastes of the fandom, a schedule definitely different from what made with DoA5.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
A bear is a large muscular hairy man and the term is used pretty much exclusively by gay people when describing body types. Bayman would not be considered as such, the bear has just been associated with Badass Russian fighters since Zangief would wrestle them

The outfits themselves weren't designed to look gay but it was the female and gay audience who asked for them how is this difficult to understand?

DR2K

Bayman is the one with a bear symbol.
A bear is a large muscular hairy man and the term is used pretty much exclusively by gay people when describing body types. Bayman would not be considered as such, the bear has just been associated with Badass Russian fighters since Zangief would wrestle them

The outfits themselves weren't designed to look gay but it was the female and gay audience who asked for them how is this difficult to understand?

Define "looking gay". I can assure you there's no objective meaning.

Zangief is hinted at being gay for what it's worth.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Slightly altering swimwear with gloves and certain design elements to MMA gear was the smartest approach Team Ninja could make, because that way it appealed to a broader consumer base. Girls and gay guys would buy it, because it looked hot. Straight guys would buy it, because it looked bad-ass to them. Everyone wins! So why the discussion?
There probably won't be any MMA gear for Ein , Jacky and Leon though, because it sold poorly, even though it was so cheap. Creating DLC costs Team Ninja time and money and if they don't get that back in with money, they won't bother doing it anymore.

Rawbietussin

Slightly altering swimwear with gloves and certain design elements to MMA gear was the smartest approach Team Ninja could make, because that way it appealed to a broader consumer base. Girls and gay guys would buy it, because it looked hot. Straight guys would buy it, because it looked bad-ass to them. Everyone wins! So why the discussion?

There's not enough costumes for them.

There probably won't be any MMA gear for Ein , Jacky and Leon though, because it sold poorly, even though it was so cheap. Creating DLC costs Team Ninja time and money and if they don't get that back in with money, they won't bother doing it anymore.

Is 1 pack for 3 characters too much to ask? They can throw in Momiji and Rachel bunnies/reverse bunnies and cheerleaders if they felt like they can't gather up a lot of consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD