The NEW Stagger Escape System (the change)

What do you think of the new Stagger Escape System.

• Total voters

synce

Apparently so.

I can tell you that the way that I have always stagger escaped is no longer as effective. I literally could not pass that tutorial unless I did :4862:s

And according to cow, you don't even have to do a :4862: that fast.

Also, side note, fun matches last night. You were the first Momiji I fought online.

Thanks for clearing it up, and yes gg's. I was in over my head playing your Bass/Akira with her :p

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
So it's easier now? :(
Actually its more strict ...

its identical to the old way with the exception that the multi-button presses are disabled...
according to shimbori some players had the hold button on turbo .. and that made things a bit skank .. lol
so now the SE seems to be dependant on direction shaking only .. Like VF ..
holding the H only seems to serve the purpose of ending the SE in a guard state ...

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I just ran through training and can't say for sure what the issue is.

Doing 46464646 netted me one less frame of disadvantage.
Doing 41236 netted me two frames less of disadvantage.

I could only get 8 frames less disadvantage if I tried doing 3737373, but of course the training mode says I was doing 4738637436...

NightAntilli

Actually its more strict ...
according to shimbori some players had the hold button on turbo .. and that made things a bit skank .. lol
That explains the impossible SE's some people were doing...

Sadly I don't have the game yet >_< Living in the caribbean it probably means I'll have it in a month or so lol. But the new stagger escape seems like an improvement. But I won't vote until I experience it for myself.

Tulkas

Premium Donor
I don't like to be forced to use 360° motion in order to SE because it could lead directly to crouch state when stun ends which left char vulnerable to mids (and I've found eatting a mid used to be really worse than eatting a low).

I've started to use SE since I watched the @EMPEROR_COW video tutorial. Then, after enough practicing I decided to use only :[H]::7::9::7::9:... for always recover both standing and blocking. It has worked good for me and became a needed technique in my game.

I've found :[H]::7::9::7::9:... still works in 5U but it seems a bit slower, however it can be just a bad first impresion.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I don't like to be forced to use 360° motion in order to SE because it could lead directly to crouch state when stun ends which left char vulnerable to mids (and I've found eatting a mid used to be really worse than eatting a low).

I've started to use SE since I watched the @EMPEROR_COW video tutorial. Then, after enough practicing I decided to use only :[H]::7::9::7::9:... for always recover both standing and blocking. It has worked good for me and became a needed technique in my game.

I've found :[H]::7::9::7::9:... still works in 5U but it seems a bit slower, however it can be just a bad first impresion.

I still think so far in 5U .. circles seem to be the most efficient way ... but everythinig else still works too I suppose .. apart from button mashing .

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
This is one of the great changes in 5U. I remember I'd see people blocking in neutral and their hands would "shake". I didn't realize until now that it was turbo hold to escape staggers. I thought they just accidentally put it on turbo. So I guess I'm happy and retroactively mad.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting. I like how there is now a definite way to execute stagger escaping, makes it more legit...a true defensive technique. As for ease of use, I actually prefer that struggling out of staggers would easily reduced them to minor/mid frame disadvantage(ie. -2 to -5). I say this because it would make critical holds(defensive holding out of stagger state) a thing for only lower level players. See what I see for a sec. It would become the norm, and players on the offense (on hit)would know they have minor/mid frame advantage after a successful hit(after the opponent SE). Knowing that a defensive hold is the last thing a HLP is going to do, the player on offense can more effectively employ a nitaku situation. Ie force a guessing game between a mid strike(launcher, knockback, knockdown or wall attack), and a throw. Things can get more advanced on the defensive side with the use of defensive techs like fuzzy guarding and ETEG(evade-throw escape-guard)...and the offense can follow up with either a delayed strike/throw, command throw(inescapable), or an offensive hold...if applicable. This raises the overal depth between the offensive/defensive exchange!!!

d3v

Personally, I find that the new method a bit harder on pad than on stick.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
d3v said:
Personally, I find that the new method a bit harder on pad than on stick.

-Yeah it is. However, from my experience it was always a lot easier to struggle using a stick. A matter of fact, despite the series being very playable on pad, it always felt more natural to play using a stick. You get superior accuracy when hitting commands, more ways to buffer commands, and having a 3 button set up is less convoluted and more akin to DOA's roots.

synce

Finally got around to testing this new system today and just gotta say WOW. It's a joke. I seemed to always have problems SE'ing certain things in the past but not anymore. I can easily get fastest SE on anything now. That sweet triple sit down Momiji has? 3 quick circles around the dpad takes care of it.

Edit: Scratch that, only 2 slow rotations are needed lmao

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I play grapplers in 2D games, so this was sounds okay to me.

I actually started Stagger Escaping in DOA by doing full circles before finding out that I could use the ST SE method instead.

P1naatt1ke1tt0

I haven't noticed any difference in stagger escape speed. I did 360s before, I do them now, and the amount of frames reduced per rotation seems the same.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Wow, I was unaware of this change. Guess i'll be practicing this tonight. I wonder if this should be a front page post as well?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD