The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

Omegan Eckhart

I'm trying to think of a match up where Bass actually has an advantage over a character. I don't know the match up against characters like Zack and Brad either, but I don't expect them to be too high as all three characters could potentially end up in the same tier.

Personally, I think anyone with an 11 frame jab has a upper hand against Bass up close, especially if they're at frame advantage and sometimes even at frame disadvantage.
Bass' match ups all revolve around getting the opponent into his frame traps and keeping them there, similar to Helena. I would say his match ups would look bad on paper but but not bad in practice.

Something-Unique

Hitomi vs Mila is not 7-3. That's absolute crap. Even Jeff agreed with me.

I still have the match up in Hitomi's favor. Still, I'll be sure to bring the fact up that Hitomi/Mila is apparently 'unwinnable' for me to every Mila player I run into.

Maybe your just playing the wrong ones. Oddly enough Hitomi's get bodied by my Mila 99% of the time. Come to think of it that goes for 99% of the people I play. Pro or no Pro.

Mila beats Hitomi. I'd even be the one to say the matchup is bigger than 6-4. Perhaps in between the 6-4/7-3 margin. Mila is simply better than Hitomi in everything except mixups but you don't need mixups to win anything in this game. At least not the kind of mixups Hitomi has. Helena like mixups on the other hand is a different story.

Point being just cause you beat certain people doesn't make the character better.

Perfect Legend

Here is why Sarah is good since everyone is trying to be mysterious smh:

Safe side step attacks so she can pressure you and if you try to counter poke sidestep and bust you in the face with a safe attack.

Shes +1 after blocking her jab and that is huge in DOA. Has sit down stuns that guarantee launchers

- A 20 frame low that high crushes 2f+k
- a 12 frame mid punch poke 6p which goes into safe follow up or a follow up that puts her + also a wall splat follow up that is unsafe. 6pp, 6p4k, and 6pk respectively.
- A plethora of low crushes. 9k, 8f+k, 66f+k and 8p and 3 of those if I remember correctly are safe.
- Also 3p+k is a launcher that high crushes I think it stuns on normal hit.
- Good mid pokes that end high 6pp, 6p4k and 6kp
- a Flip to avoid wake up attacks 9p+k
- a low jab that is 12 frames and 0 on hit

This is just a small amount but she is really solid good movement too especially with safe sidestep attack and until that VF/Mila/Rig only back dash is removed (its a glitch from what I am told) she has the best back dash in the game.

Very high pressure character that is very safe and can overwhelm you and shes not hard at all to learn.

Sarah:
- + 1 jab on block
- 12 frame low jab 0 on hit
- wall splat 6pk
- safe sidestep attacks (ssP, ssK)
- 20 frame low: 2f+k
- low crush: 9k, 8f+k, 66f+k, 8p
- high crush: 2f+k, 3p+k
- mid to high poke: 6kp, 6pp
- flip to avoid wake up attacks: 9p+k
- launchers: 3p+k, 2p+kk, 4f+k
- critical burst: 236p+k

Something-Unique

I personally hope the wavedash never gets taken out. If it's a technically a glitch its a great one/positive one and should be left in like namco did with Tekken and capcom did with plinking. It does a lot for movement allowing for better bait and whiffs.

Everyone should have it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Does anyone have any idea when this tier list will actually be complete?

My current aim is to have a new list - if applicable - every three to six months.

It hasn't even been 3 months yet, the game has had 2 patches so far, a third patch is on the way, and this thread has just started doing match up discussions. So expect it in another 3-6 months once the next patch comes, most likely closer to 6 months.

Here is why Sarah is good since everyone is trying to be mysterious smh:

Safe side step attacks so she can pressure you and if you try to counter poke sidestep and bust you in the face with a safe attack.

Shes +1 after blocking her jab and that is huge in DOA. Has sit down stuns that guarantee launchers

- A 20 frame low that high crushes 2f+k
- a 12 frame mid punch poke 6p which goes into safe follow up or a follow up that puts her + also a wall splat follow up that is unsafe. 6pp, 6p4k, and 6pk respectively.
- A plethora of low crushes. 9k, 8f+k, 66f+k and 8p and 3 of those if I remember correctly are safe.
- Also 3p+k is a launcher that high crushes I think it stuns on normal hit.
- Good mid pokes that end high 6pp, 6p4k and 6kp
- a Flip to avoid wake up attacks 9p+k
- a low jab that is 12 frames and 0 on hit

This is just a small amount but she is really solid good movement too especially with safe sidestep attack and until that VF/Mila/Rig only back dash is removed (its a glitch from what I am told) she has the best back dash in the game.

Very high pressure character that is very safe and can overwhelm you and shes not hard at all to learn.

Sarah:
- + 1 jab on block
- 12 frame low jab 0 on hit
- wall splat 6pk
- safe sidestep attacks (ssP, ssK)
- 20 frame low: 2f+k
- low crush: 9k, 8f+k, 66f+k, 8p
- high crush: 2f+k, 3p+k
- mid to high poke: 6kp, 6pp
- flip to avoid wake up attacks: 9p+k
- launchers: 3p+k, 2p+kk, 4f+k
- critical burst: 236p+k

Great info!
I'm going to copy paste this into the Sarah board for reference unless you want to ( ill delete mine if when ya do).
I think she's a solid character only weakness I see is lack of force tech options.

DR2K

What we're talking about now isn't necessarily going to be accurate after the patch, either.

I have a feeling a lot of match ups are going to be shaken up after this patch.

Here's my tierlist based on match ups, discussion, personal experience, and tournament results

SS: Character that ignores most if not all match ups, plays by her own set of rules.
Helena

S: Tons of guaranteed set ups, high damage options, superior crishes, safe, or great mobility
Genfu, Jann Lee, Kokoro, Mila, Ayane

A: Generally great tools, but some unfavorable match ups
Kasumi, Leifang, Akira, Sarah, Bayman

B: Solid tools, little guaranteed options, some have low damage and in Rig's case too stance heavy
Pai, Hitomi, Christie, Hayabusa, Rig

C: Little guaranteed, low on safety, generally slow, have more unfavorable match ups
Lisa, Hayate, BradWong, Tina, Zack

D: Generally flawed, long strings make some more vulnrable, Bass is too slow, have even more bad match ups
Eliot, Alpha 152, Bass

F: All their match ups are 0-10, can not compete on any level. Stop trying to pick them.
Ein, Tengu, Spartan, Raidou, Leon, Momji, Rachel, and Rio.

MasterHavik

I have a feeling a lot of match ups are going to be shaken up after this patch.

Here's my tierlist based on match ups, discussion, personal experience, and tournament results

SS: Character that ignores most if not all match ups, plays by her own set of rules.
Helena

S: Tons of guaranteed set ups, high damage options, superior crishes, safe, or great mobility
Genfu, Jann Lee, Kokoro, Mila, Ayane

A: Generally great tools, but some unfavorable match ups
Kasumi, Leifang, Akira, Sarah, Bayman

B: Solid tools, little guaranteed options, some have low damage and in Rig's case too stance heavy
Pai, Hitomi, Christie, Hayabusa, Rig

C: Little guaranteed, low on safety, generally slow, have more unfavorable match ups
Lisa, Hayate, BradWong, Tina, Zack

D: Generally flawed, long strings make some more vulnrable, Bass is too slow, have even more bad match ups
Eliot, Alpha 152, Bass

F: All their match ups are 0-10, can not compete on any level. Stop trying to pick them.
Ein, Tengu, Spartan, Raidou, Leon, Momji, Rachel, and Rio.

SS: Nah

S: I agree with that.

A: Kasumi should go down some. she isn't super safe.

B:I can see everyone else, but why is Rig all the way down there?

C: Zack is faster than all those characters dude and he isn't unsafe as hell. He's middle of the road in safety if you ask me. And his matchups aren't awful in less it's Vf characters, Mila, Gen fu, and ayane.

D: Finally!!! Someone expose Eliot...thank you god. And big daddy Bass isn't that bad btw. He has some solid tools, great holds, and a insane damage output that will make you shit your pants. I just got Aphla unlocked, so i'm still looking into her. She has a throw that beats all powerblows though.

e: LOL you win the thread sir.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
SS: Nah

S: I agree with that.

A: Kasumi should go down some. she isn't super safe.

B:I can see everyone else, but why is Rig all the way down there?

C: Zack is faster than all those characters dude and he isn't unsafe as hell. He's middle of the road in safety if you ask me. And his matchups aren't awful in less it's Vf characters, Mila, Gen fu, and ayane.

D: Finally!!! Someone expose Eliot...thank you god. And big daddy Bass isn't that bad btw. He has some solid tools, great holds, and a insane damage output that will make you shit your pants. I just got Aphla unlocked, so i'm still looking into her. She has a throw that beats all powerblows though.

e: LOL you win the thread sir.

Not gonna talk about where they're placed, but just because Kasumi is generally unsafe doesnt mean she's working harder than others. I may sound biased about her as a Kasumi player, but this is a fact. Rig is actually working harder for his wins. Zack has a lot of unfavorable matchups in general.

But I think ya'll broke the rules because this was supposed to be match up discussions.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD