The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

TRI Mike

You guys are all arguing about stuff that will be old news in two months. We should worry about tier lists anymore... at least until Christmas time when 5U in in everyone's hands.

DR2K

I recommand people put more learning into Ayane before they decide to sell her short.

The reverse should also be true. Ayane isn't exactly an unpopular or difficult to use character.

Now i'm not saying character that hasn't been played can not be good or even great, but I have a hard time believing they're better than characters who consistantly place top 3.

It would be nice to have an official "tier list" before DOA5U.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yeah, if you're going to place a character in a tier list based on their usage or who uses them, then that would be silly, because you're not measuring the character. You need character-specific data.

If Mamba or Manny play their characters well, that's because they're random and randomness is hard to deal with until you're used to playing against that playstyle or that person, not because Helena or Hayabusa are neccesarily that good.

esotericthought

you need two tier lists.

one for people with jobs and one for people whose job it is to play this game.

i'm still not sure it's a relevant discussion though... only people concerned with a tier list are those who just want to find a fast strong character quick and play some online play.

NightAntilli

The method of basing tier lists off of tournament results are only viable when;

1) The amount of skilled tourney players is very high
2) The skill level of most of these tourney players is pretty similar
3) There have been a lot of tournaments to have a viable sample size
4) All characters in the game have been used extensively in the conditions above

DOA basically only has number 2. The amount of skilled players that join offline tourneys is limited, the amount of tournaments held is limited, and we rarely see character variety (let alone the full cast) on display in any of the limited tournaments we do have.

DR2K

The method of basing tier lists off of tournament results are only viable when;

1) The amount of skilled tourney players is very high
2) The skill level of most of these tourney players is pretty similar
3) There have been a lot of tournaments to have a viable sample size
4) All characters in the game have been used extensively in the conditions above

DOA basically only has number 2. The amount of skilled players that join offline tourneys is limited, the amount of tournaments held is limited, and we rarely see character variety (let alone the full cast) on display in any of the limited tournaments we do have.

The definition of high is relative to top level play. It won't get higher anywhere else.

That approach is why tier lists are mostly a joke.

Then don't post in a tier list thread.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Rig is very good, but he doesn't have good lows outside of flamingo and his frame advantage is mostle high, with his good mids being slower sit-down stuns. His high-mid mix-up is very good. Can be easily crushed at times though.

NightAntilli

Yeah basically when he's in flamingo, he frame traps you, and he has the option to go all heights, and he can grab you from it. If you're on the defense against flamingo Rig, you're in a very bad position that's very hard to get out of.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
2F+K if I am correct. He just hits you in the the foot with the side of his foot. It doesn't look like it grants anything until you look at the frames.

Oh yeah, maybe I should've rephrased my sentense about him not having good lows. Yeah, he does have decent lows like ppp2k, pk2k and pp42k, but my issue with something like 2h+k is doesn't have the desired range I want from it and it doesn't crush. For that reason, I don't rate his lows in neutral high.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD