The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

DontForkWitMe

The undeniable fact is that JAK severely limits characters with no mid/low tracking moves options. eliot suffers the same problem and its definitely a 3-7 matchup for him too. its not like christie is some shitty character without JAK.she fast as shit, some of the best mixups, good neutral game, guaranteed setups and on top of that she has her JAK shenanigans to boot that makes an already bad match up even worse.

Pokerking87

So funny all that People they complaining about the Jak! They should Look about chars like JL - Gunner
Gen fu they stunned with every hit or Sarahs Crazy Frame advantage!

NightAntilli

So funny all that People they complaining about the Jak! They should Look about chars like JL - Gunner
Gen fu they stunned with every hit or Sarahs Crazy Frame advantage!

Don't get me started on Christie's guaranteed follow-up stun after a guard break. Stop pretending Christie is worse than she really is. JAK is a really big advantage on linear characters. More so than JL's DG will ever be. JL is not as threatening as before the patch. Now Christie is superior to him.

DR2K

^ That sounds so silly. That's basically saying once that happens, she wins. That is not true.

That's because you confuse consistant advantage with instant win. Not a single character on the roster has it as good as Helena. When she gets that knockdown the entire match changes completely in her favor regardless of the character on the roster, with the only way out of her vortex is a guess.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
That's because you confuse consistant advantage with instant win. Not a single character on the roster has it as good as Helena. When she gets that knockdown the entire match changes completely in her favor regardless of the character on the roster, with the only way out of her vortex is a guess.

Yeah, and that also applies to Ayane's vortex. A lot of you agree that Ayane is top tier in DOA5, yet hardly any of you really understand why that is. It doesn't seem like any of you really know anything about this character's tech, how to apply any of it, and why it's good.

You know what she's about from a basic perspective, but you don't see much past people making incorrect usage of 66KK4, 4H+K being used over 3H+K, predictable Critical Burst set ups, 6K2K, horrible rolling, and random retaliation with 4P up close.

Do not tell me that you agree that Ayane is very good in this game if you do not understand why she is (I'm speaking in general here).

DR2K

Yeah, and that also applies to Ayane's vortex. A lot of you agree that Ayane is top tier in DOA5, yet hardly any of you really understand why that is. It doesn't seem like any of you really know anything about this character's tech, how to apply any of it, and why it's good.

You know what she's about from a basic perspective, but you don't see much past people making incorrect usage of 66KK4, 4H+K being used over 3H+K, predictable Critical Burst set ups, 6K2K, horrible rolling, and random retaliation with 4P up close.

Do not tell me that you agree that Ayane is very good in this game if you do not understand why she is (I'm speaking in general here).

No one uses her anymore since she lost her +7 vortex.

Ayane doesn't have a vortex comparable to Helena's. No one does. Helena can go into handslaps off of anything, with minimal damage sacrifices, and it is guaranteed to give her advantage and completely bypass the wake up kick system 100% of the time unless she chooses to risk a wake up kick attempt to gain even more advantage.

Once the blender starts it's complete and utter guess work for the opponent for the rest of the match.

Helena with a knockdown is flat out the stupidest character in any version of DOA.

Zeo

I think DOA2U Tengu would probably edge her out in the nonsense department. 3.1 Hayate with Cartwheel was pretty ridiculous too.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor

You just proved my point.....

A lot of you agree that Ayane is top tier in DOA5, yet hardly any of you really understand why that is. It doesn't seem like any of you really know anything about this character's tech, how to apply any of it, and why it's good.

For anyone to say and/or think Ayane is crippled because of a mistake a single move had, or doesn't have a strong Vortex, I will just continue to laugh at you.

66KK4 is NOT the reason why this character is strong as she is, and as she's always been in DOA, period.

DR2K, you know absolutely nothing about Ayane in Dead or Alive 5. Please, do not try to tell me what this character has and doesn't have.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Losing +7 she had means nothing really. Shes still extremely good.
In fact, I dont think she even needs that much of an advantage. She has a ton of crushes, circulars, great spacing and a good variation to her strings. Her frames are also quite decent

However, I still think you are underestimatimg the rest of the cast.
Hugely in fact. You're stating all the great tools ayane has and limiting the rest as if they only have 1 or 2 tools.

So what if she shuts down christies Jakeiho? she cant shut it down in stun. Christie still also has great quick mids its not all about highs. Shes has great range as well and crushes of her own. Not to mention that she is all round faster. Christie has a limbo stun and a faint stun and her juggle potential is on par with ayane if not better simply due to her forcetech game without having to compromise damage output.

This is just one example.

I still think people are sleeping on pai, hitomi and akira... Come to think about it, rig as well.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Just look at the chart and if you think a match of rigs is wrong then state So with your reasoning and suggestion.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor

Ayane doesn't have a vortex comparable to Helena's. No one does. Helena can go into handslaps off of anything, with minimal damage sacrifices, and it is guaranteed to give her advantage and completely bypass the wake up kick system 100% of the time unless she chooses to risk a wake up kick attempt to gain even more advantage.

Once the blender starts it's complete and utter guess work for the opponent for the rest of the match.

Helena with a knockdown is flat out the stupidest character in any version of DOA.
You're basically saying once she gets the vortex, she wins & that's not the case. Kasumi can parry her way out of the blender once it's spotted & so can others, leaving her at a negative frame (I don't remember the frame completely), but she's wide open for an attack. Ayane can 64H once it's spotted. I don't recall Helena getting it that easy unless she has her opponent in the air with the slaps. We all know it's good but it's about how easy does she have it getting it. Lei Fang, Akira both have tools to deal with it & so do a few others.

You need to be more considerate of defensive tools & how they're able to avoid it once it's seen & not just how deadly it is when she gets it. She can only get it at a certain time. That's why folks don't think you know of more characters. She's not the only character who has a vortex.

Also Ayane doesn't need the +7. She's completely fine without it. Never needed it. If you think 66KK4 was the only reason why Ayane is good, then you need relearn her. Ayane has all she needs and more in DOA5. 3H+K is giving her a guaranteed BT 6P. BT 4P launchers. Along with 11 & 33 footsie game, BT 6K, & so on. She's literally making you press buttons out in space. She's actually good upclose as well. She doesn't hurt without that +7. She can even 6P3 & duck highs or 6P > BT8P to keep her safe along with PP > BT8P, PP6P3 which ducks highs, etc. You wouldn't be sidestepping Ayane either.

Omegan Eckhart

I think people are underestimating just how strong Sarah is. Looking at her from the outside she is fast, has plenty of + frame set ups and does a lot of damage. But when you look at her frames in depth it is kind of terrifying how unbelievably good they are.

# P+K is +2 on block. If you do K from stance and free cancel she is at +4 on block. If you do KK and free cancel from stance she is 0 on block.

I had no idea that she had these kinds of frame traps. She puts you at -2 disadvantage with a jumping move that parries mid's, hits K and free cancels putting her advantage up from +2 to +4 and even if she hits KK she is still left at 0 with an i10 jab, an i13 mid, a sit down stun that is -3 on block and +27 even with fastest SE.

I don't think Akira works this way, he seems to be the closest to a DOA character out of the three current VF fighters. I suspect Pai has some frame set ups similar but I could be wrong.

I know Sarah is considered top tier but I believe the gap between her and the character I consider number two, Lei Fang is fairly noticeable. There are a few set ups where DOA characters can go into stance and gain minor frame advantage but they cannot free cancel mid string and still have + frames. Stuff like this combined with the fact she has great DOA tools as well as her VF tools sets her well apart from the rest of the cast.

Disclaimer: This isn't a hate rant it's just my two cents after taking her into the lab and checking her out. I'm not calling for nerfs based on what I have found either, if she is to stay true to her VF self I think it's inevitable that she will be strides ahead of the main DOA cast who are constricted by the generals rules of how a DOA character is designed to play.

You're basically saying once she gets the vortex, she wins & that's not the case. Kasumi can parry her way out of the blender once it's spotted & so can others, leaving her at a negative frame (I don't remember the frame completely), but she's wide open for an attack. Ayane can 64H once it's spotted. I don't recall Helena getting it that easy unless she has her opponent in the air with the slaps. We all know it's good but it's about how easy does she have it getting it. Lei Fang, Akira both have tools to deal with it & so do a few others.
Helena is at +4 from Vortex.

Her fastest options are: High (P) i11 / Mid (3P) i12 / Low (2P) i14 / Tracking (1P) i17.

Most characters have an i10 Jab and an i12 Mid. If Helena wants to win against them based on speed she HAS to use either her Jab or a Mid P. If they side step the only thing that will stop them is 1P, but if she uses 1P and they mash 6P then she will lose flat out.

Her "Vortex" is good, it's very good but it is not brain dead. She has to make a decent read to capitalise on it. The opponents side step will eliminate everything except her 1P and a grab, their 6P will beat her 1P and her grab but will lose to her P and 3P. You have to look at the frames to realise there are major flaws to her Vortex and figure out how to exploit them.

This one knock down = win thing is absurd. Especially seeing as grabbing out of neutral in this game is so fucking risky. Helena players almost never go Blender > Grab because of how risky it is. It takes a strong read to go for that set up seeing as the risk is much greater than the reward.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Losing +7 she had means nothing really. Shes still extremely good.
In fact, I dont think she even needs that much of an advantage. She has a ton of crushes, circulars, great spacing and a good variation to her strings. Her frames are also quite decent

However, I still think you are underestimatimg the rest of the cast.
Hugely in fact. You're stating all the great tools ayane has and limiting the rest as if they only have 1 or 2 tools.

So what if she shuts down christies Jakeiho? she cant shut it down in stun. Christie still also has great quick mids its not all about highs. Shes has great range as well and crushes of her own. Not to mention that she is all round faster. Christie has a limbo stun and a faint stun and her juggle potential is on par with ayane if not better simply due to her forcetech game without having to compromise damage output.

I never said anything is all about highs. Again, I'm looking at each match-up from both sides, I didn't just look at her match-ups from only her perspective. I'm not limiting anything, lol.

And Christie's juggle potential is not better than Ayane's, please do not say that again. Just because Christie is faster does not diminish Ayane's strength at all. Christie has good range, Ayane has great range. Christie does not have anything that is just as good as Ayane's 3H+K, BT 4H+K, BT6P or BT2K as a range poke or keep out tool.

I will happily take solid stun to launch options (that also include force tech for further control) over working for a limbo stun or faint stun, any day of the week. Sacrificing some damage to stay in control and keep you guessing is a good trade-off, especially when there is a loop process involved.

Anyway, to the thread, anyone with great knowledge of said character should start helping out with getting said character's match-up chart(s) done to further complete the tier list.

DR2K

You need to be more considerate of defensive tools & how they're able to avoid it once it's seen & not just how deadly it is when she gets it. She can only get it at a certain time. That's why folks don't think you know of more characters. She's not the only character who has a vortex.

Also Ayane doesn't need the +7. She's completely fine without it. Never needed it. If you think 66KK4 was the only reason why Ayane is good, then you need relearn her. Ayane has all she needs and more in DOA5. 3H+K is giving her a guaranteed BT 6P. BT 4P launchers. Along with 11 & 33 footsie game, BT 6K, & so on. She's literally making you press buttons out in space. She's actually good upclose as well. She doesn't hurt without that +7. She can even 6P3 & duck highs or 6P > BT8P to keep her safe along with PP > BT8P, PP6P3 which ducks highs, etc. You wouldn't be sidestepping Ayane either.

I'm saying you guess right or lose. You can guess out of it. That's it. Go ahead and parry I'll bko throw you, do a combo with a hand slaps ender, and put you back where you started. I'd do it again, but I just ended the round and you spent most of it sans the beginning guessing at disadvantage.

DR2K, you know absolutely nothing about Ayane in Dead or Alive 5. Please, do not try to tell me what this character has and doesn't have.

You spend most of your time telling everyone they know nothing about Ayane(go over you last few posts), yet you said she had a vortex similar to Helena. I'm not trying to discredit your Ayane knowledge in any way, but do so in a manner that benefits other players.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I didn't imply both characters had a similiar vortex. I am implying that Ayane's vortex is just as much of a threat if she catches you in it because she gains control, whether she counter hits you, loops you, or you block her. She is in a good position no matter what.

I have to constantly repeat the same thing because it's true. Look at the last thing you said to me;

That shows how naive you are. You want me to speak in a manner that benefits other players, while you keep trying to say "If Helena knocks you down, lol she wins lol." No, there is always a chance to fight back and gain momentum against any character, there is not automatic win condition for any character in this game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD