The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

DR2K

Kokoro's SS K and 2 F+K variations destroy Mila's tackle game and let her play her stun game.

synce

I don't think there's anyone that has an impressive matchup against Leifang or Jann Lee, 6-4 is about all you can ask for lol I agree Brad can be tough for Kokoro, one is ultra evasive one is ultra linear. Bayman and Mila may be like 5-5 or better. 2h+k all day

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've updated the doc after reflecting over some of the recent discussions. Feel free to check it out and if you have a match up you wish to discuss, bring it up.

For those who can't find the link in the first post of the thread: Here

MaxwellMouse

Are there so many 5-5 matchups because they have yet to be discussed or is that just the nature of the stun and triangle system.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Are there so many 5-5 matchups because they have yet to be discussed or is that just the nature of the stun and triangle system.

Most of them haven't been discussed. I'm not going to throw random numbers there. Every matchup starts at 5-5 until it's discussed, where it is possible to remain at a 5-5.

MasterHavik

I wanna see how Zack does agaisnt the top characters. I feel when you talk Jann and Mila. For Mila it's 6-4 and Jann....it's 5-5. But could be a 6-4.

Musourenka

Kokoro's SS K and 2 F+K variations destroy Mila's tackle game and let her play her stun game.

Or Kokoro can low throw the tackle for free Burst set-up.

I do agree that Mila has the advantage over Kokoro, but Kokoro can punish that tackle hard.

Jefffcore

I wanna see how Zack does agaisnt the top characters. I feel when you talk Jann and Mila. For Mila it's 6-4 and Jann....it's 5-5. But could be a 6-4.
If it's 6-4 for Mila then by default it's 4-6 for Jann. I don't agree with that, though; I don't think Jann has a bad match up. At worst he's probably 5-5 with Lei.

MasterHavik

If it's 6-4 for Mila then by default it's 4-6 for Jann. I don't agree with that, though; I don't think Jann has a bad match up. At worst he's probably 5-5 with Lei.
Well there are reasons for Mila. Jann...is up in the air, but I'll tell you this a raw duck beats dragon gunner clean. Same goes for Mila's tackle if you don't cancel it.

lol. I didn't know "mix ups" made good characters. Jann Lee can win with 2-4 moves.
Brad would like to have a word with you sir.

AngryWorm

Hitomi vs Mila is not 7-3. That's absolute crap. Even Jeff agreed with me.

I still have the match up in Hitomi's favor. Still, I'll be sure to bring the fact up that Hitomi/Mila is apparently 'unwinnable' for me to every Mila player I run into.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
This match-up chart is pulled from my DOA4 Ayane guide. I'm pretty certain every match-up from this for the same cast is completely relevant. Probably only need a few minor changes for a couple of match-ups.

Ayane - Even
Bass - Good
Bayman - Good
BradWong - Good
Christie - Good
Eliot- Good
Genfu - Bad
Ryu Hayabusa - Fair
Hayate - Fair
Helena - Fair
Hitomi - Fair
Jann Lee - Fair
Kasumi - Even
Kokoro - Fair
Lei Fang - Fair
Lisa (La Mariposa) - Good
Tina - Good
Zack - Good

The only match-ups I believe she has that are completely even is the mirror match and versus Kasumi.

Good = 6-4
Fair = 6-4 or 5.5
Bad = 4-6

Fair has multiple numbers because the new addition to tools (if any) for certain characters could have a bit of an impact on the match-up.

Mila, Rig, Akira, Sarah, and Pai are not listed because I haven't had much of an opportunity to play against those characters. So I won't throw out random numbers or anything. While the rest of the roster is elementary for me. Xdest also agreed with this listing.

If any match-up(s) need further discussion, I can definitely do that.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I'm trying to think of a match up where Bass actually has an advantage over a character. I don't know the match up against characters like Zack and Brad either, but I don't expect them to be too high as all three characters could potentially end up in the same tier.

Personally, I think anyone with an 11 frame jab has a upper hand against Bass up close, especially if they're at frame advantage and sometimes even at frame disadvantage.

MasterHavik

What makes Brad Wong good isn't his mixup game. It's his evasive moves and stance transitions.
But that is something he has always had. You can't forget to factor that in.

I'm trying to think of a match up where Bass actually has an advantage over a character. I don't know the match up against characters like Zack and Brad either, but I don't expect them to be too high as all three characters could potentially end up in the same tier.

Personally, I think anyone with an 11 frame jab has a upper hand against Bass up close, especially if they're at frame advantage and sometimes even at frame disadvantage.
Not a bad guess friend. I think Bass might have a shot vs. Lisa or Bayman

Nulite

sarah is good.. if people discovered her secrets you would see shes high tier ;) play me or crazysteady and we'll show ya what i mean :p

U_C_A_F

i don't know the exact ratio for his matchups but as far as eliot goes his worse matchups are against evasive characters/characters with a good side step follow ups. brad, christie, ayane, mila, bayman, helena are all bad matchups for him due to him being one of the most linear characters on the roster with no decent tracking move to shutdown sidesteppers other than to grab them on reaction not to mention his own sidestep follow ups are shit so he doesn't really get anything worth a damn anyways from a successful sidestep. he has much better matchups with the in your face rushdown characters like kasumi, rig, jann lee, hitomi, kokoro etc due to being better equipped to deal with them with his parries and i9

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD