The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Kronin

It's a shame Sega has withdrawn from console market. So many franchises will be taken down with it. Wasn't a VF fan but I feel bad as this makes the possibility of VF6 slim to none. :/

With the fighting series IP reaching the PC market and with Sega announcing to work in the future on Android and PC releases, it's not so impossible that maybe the next VF will see the light just there.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
It's a shame Sega has withdrawn from console market. So many franchises will be taken down with it. Wasn't a VF fan but I feel bad as this makes the possibility of VF6 slim to none. :/
Technically, SEGA is still doing the console market. It's one of Sega's divisions that isn't.

Niitris

So much misinformation has been spread about the Sega situation on multiple sites so here's something to provide clarity.

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/03/03/sega-is-not-leaving-the-console-market/

So is SEGA going to stop supporting consoles with games? The answer is: No. Here is what the statement from SEGA-Sammy said:

"Local organizations managing packaged game software in Western markets will be streamlined. In the U.S. Sega of America Inc. based in San Francisco will be relocated to Southern California by this summer and its existing office in San Francisco will be closed, thereafter, which results in reducing fixed expenses, mainly in corporate functions."

SEGA has stated that they want to focus more on digital games and PC due to the area having a bigger profit margin and considering there are over a 125 million active users on Steam and a billion plus market on phones, do you really blame them? Focusing on digital titles doesn’t mean that they aren’t making console ‘packaged software’. Nowhere in their press release did it say they were going to stop making console titles. If anything, they literally announced that they were bringing Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax to the West two days prior to this restructure announcement and a bit before that they announced Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX for 3DS.

SEGA-Sammy is doing what good businesses do, they are restructuring to make profits, not just in SEGA America but also its Amusement division (arcade). This mean’t that they had to fire a total of 300 employees, they moved their San Francisco offices to Southern California and that they will ‘focus’ on businesses bringing in the most profit. This just happens to be the mobile and PC digital market. Does this mean they aren’t making console games? No and nowhere in there statements does it say that. If mainstream ‘gaming journalist’ actually did research they would have known as such. Another thing not mentioned in these click-bait articles is that there is also a SEGA Europe and a SEGA Japan who aren’t mentioned in these reports, meaning the ‘focusing on digital and PC‘ seems to be directed at the American branch.

Yeah they always seem to have one foot in their grave but they're not dropping out of console gaming (least not yet anyway).

Xernuht

Bit of necromancy here, but way up here in Toronto, we've built our scene up enough and gotten vocal enough that we have had our first Weekly Ranked Tournament!

We also had a ranked DOA tournament, but we couldn't get stream time.
Anyways, GGs to everyone! Hope to see you all next week.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I have a friend interested in it how much is it for PS3 right now? I was going to let him play my 360 copy but they broke theirs the other day -_-

WisperG

I have a friend interested in it how much is it for PS3 right now? I was going to let him play my 360 copy but they broke theirs the other day -_-

The Final Showdown update is $15 on PSN, $30 is you want all the customization DLC included.

The vanilla disc can be found for, like, $5.

saikyom

Bit of necromancy here, but way up here in Toronto, we've built our scene up enough and gotten vocal enough that we have had our first Weekly Ranked Tournament!

We also had a ranked DOA tournament, but we couldn't get stream time.
Anyways, GGs to everyone! Hope to see you all next week.
Just finished watching "the vf5" part i'm not interested in kof13
nice matchs and very good level,especially the jean kujo guy :)
I main goh and akira and unfortunately no body plays as them hhhhh but it was really fun to watch upload more if you have

Xernuht

Just finished watching "the vf5" part i'm not interested in kof13
nice matchs and very good level,especially the jean kujo guy :)
I main goh and akira and unfortunately no body plays as them hhhhh but it was really fun to watch upload more if you have

Actually, we do have an Akira player, Machinehead. Another player, og23 (Vanessa main, mostly), can use both Akira and Goh, and yet another, whose gamertag escapes me, plays Goh and Kage. I also play Goh, but I'm feeling Pai in my bones at the moment. It's just a shame they couldn't make it.

Also, the next Weekly might be a little sparse. I'm dealing with work, and some others aren't making it in.

BLACKSTAR

NYGX ('New York Gathering'): The longest running (about what, 15, 16 years strong?), community-driven Virtua Fighter-only tournament is coming August 14th! Virtua Fighter maniacs from the US and all around the world will be flying in to play Virtua Fighter 3, Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned (Japan-exclusive), Virtua Fighter 5: R (Japan-exclusive), and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown at the world-famous Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn!

Be sure to check it out on twitch.tv/nyc_vf ! Or better yet, go check it out for yourself by coming to Next Level Arcade, August 14th-16th! Special thanks to oneida for the trailer!

http://www.twitch.tv/nyc_vf
http://virtuafighter.com/threads/nygx-is-next-month-new-trailer.19971/#post-391335

Last edited:

Lulu

All Right..... I finaly bought it......
I tried playing... uhm.... whats her face... Vanessa Lewis but she has too many Corner Directional Inputs.... I might have to settle for Jacky.... which I don't want to do because I don't want to get confused.....

Uhm.... well Jean is the beginner's Character... should I use him ?

Xernuht

All Right..... I finaly bought it......
I tried playing... uhm.... whats her face... Vanessa Lewis but she has too many Corner Directional Inputs.... I might have to settle for Jacky.... which I don't want to do because I don't want to get confused.....

Uhm.... well Jean is the beginner's Character... should I use him ?

I'm surprised you're not making an issue over her dual stance style...

Jean and Goh are probably the best characters for getting used to VF. If you play Jacky in DOA, then you'll probably favor Jean. Don't assume too much, though. I started with Vanessa, then went through Jacky, Sarah, Jean, and Goh before I settled on maining Pai and seconding Goh.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD