The Overwatch Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
3o7qDZDFFt1t6SbXRS.gif

d3v

Surprised there isn't more activity on this thread since it seems that this is all that anyone' is playing these days.

lotr9690

Surprised there isn't more activity on this thread since it seems that this is all that anyone' is playing these days.
If there's a subscription, than I understand haha
I'm not laying down a monthly fee for my (casual-ish) hobby. Either way I don't want to have to play just another RPG (same shit, different pile). I've been looking around at this game online and it doesn't seem very fun or "unique". I honestly don't get the big deal. Why are people excited? Not to offend anyone, I'm genuinely asking; this question isn't necessarily directed at its fans.

Juihau

It's not subscription-based. As for why people are all over it... I'unno, it's fun. It's quite a bit like Team Fortress 2, but with more interesting characters (both gameplay and lore-wise), and some MOBA-like elements in the characters' abilities. I'm not really big on FPSes or MOBAs, but I've found that I like it a lot.

Argentus

I haven't gotten it yet.

Wound up getting hyrule warriors.

Still need to get

Naruto uns4
Pirate warriors
Dynasty warriors
Mirrors edge

During beta I wound up being bored after two or three matches, that's how I always am with twitch shooters so I can't justify getting it at full price especially with how bare bones it is.

I've been playing battleborn constantly as well.
I'm not laying down a monthly fee for my (casual-ish) hobby. Either way I don't want to have to play just another RPG (same shit, different pile). I've been looking around at this game online and it doesn't seem very fun or "unique". I honestly don't get the big deal. Why are people excited? Not to offend anyone, I'm genuinely asking; this question isn't necessarily directed at its fans.
Its hype and marketing mostly.

The game itself is just a standard death match arena shooter. Fun but nothing special.

Juihau

The game itself is just a standard death match arena shooter. Fun but nothing special.
The game doesn't even have a standard deathmatch mode, though... The closest thing is skirmish, which you can only play in pre-made custom games, or when you're waiting for players to join in quick play...

SilverForte

Playing this game reminds me of old school shooters like quake II, its a blast. Pharah is basically playing armored core.

btw this vid is pretty funny.

Argentus

The game doesn't even have a standard deathmatch mode, though... The closest thing is skirmish, which you can only play in pre-made custom games, or when you're waiting for players to join in quick play...
It amounts to the same thing. Everyone bum rush and keep dying instantly in an attempt to push the objective.

As I said twitch shooters arent my thing. When everyone dies in under one second (two for tanks)from so much as stray fire in close quarters, it winds up feeling mindless and ultimately doesn't even matter who you pick.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
It's hardly a twitch shooter unless you are playing offensive characters that excel in thatstyle (really only Tracer and Soldier 76). If you play it like that with all characters then i see why the game is unappealing being a team based objective shooter and all.

Argentus

It's hardly a twitch shooter unless you are playing offensive characters that excel in thatstyle (really only Tracer and Soldier 76). If you play it like that with all characters then i see why the game is unappealing being a team based objective shooter and all.
I mostly played Tracer and mei but dabbled with others. They all felt the same since you die nigh instantaneously with any character.

Also no BATTLEBORN is a team based objective shooter lol.

On overwatch team makeup matters much less. That's why everyon3 can be copies and change in mid match: it really doesn't matter who you are.

d3v

My ranking as of last night.
EjksFEF.jpg

On a related note, I tend to shake my head at any one who says that any fast paced, twitchy shooter is less skill based when you consider that modern additions to the FPS genre to slow them down, such as aiming down sights and emphasis on cover were actually put in to make shooters easier.

On overwatch team makeup matters much less. That's why everyon3 can be copies and change in mid match: it really doesn't matter who you are.
That's a very wrong assumption considering that there are known combinations and favored heroes at high level play.
xy9HlPF.png

Character switching mid match is there because the game is all about counter picks. For example, Tracer and Genji are hard counters for Reinhardt. Reinhart also counters Bastion. Meanwhile, there are certain heroes who are designed for certain situations - D.Va is meant for busting your opponents when they're holding an objective near the end of matches. Symmetra works better at the start of defense rounds where the effect of deploying her teleporter ultimate is felt much more.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

Too busy playing to post.

Also, Argentus doesn't get it, I've seen how he plays and unfortunately just like DOA he tends to have the wrong mindset for the game. You can tell since his complaint is the game is "too twitch shooter with instant death" as he admits he only really played Tracer who is supposed to play like a twitch shooter and has low life. Playing any of the other characters like that will also instantly get them killed because they aren't like Tracer which goes head first into battle holding down the fire button. You're talking about a player who made his own honor code in DOA to not juggle or play okizeme.

Here's my profile btw: http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Sorwah-1822

Having a blast with some of my friends in this game. Some vids:

There's no subscription, it's not an RPG. It's a First Person Shooter where you are focused on Team Play more than Individual Play. A lot of people are excited about it because it's Blizzard's first FPS game, and their first brand new IP in over 15 years (To where all previous IPs are still doing well and accepted across the globe). The attention to the character design has a lot of people enamored with the world, story, and game play. Frankly, it's exciting to play, has a one time purchase, and there's no level RPG unlock system so you can use all of the gameplay elements from the start.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD