THE STRONGEST THREAD IN THE WORLD (The LEON Thread)

Drake Aldan

Is this useful to anyone?

I went and looked to see what the most delayable strings were (looking at the Followup Interval). This is what I got:

66P 35F
P6P 35F
6PP 35F
6P 38F
2K 42F
4P 44F
4P+KP 45F
8PP 46F
8P 47F

Drake Aldan

I find I have a hard time controlling space, or keeping the enemy from running in. Leon doesn't seem to have a stop kick or anything of that sort as a shield, I can only come up with 8K, 8P, 66PP, and 46P.

Am I always supposed to be uncomfortably close?

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Yep, Leon is a space control freak. The only time you should be successfully making space is if it is you are knocking/throwing someone into the environment. Playing the spacing game is good but it really doesn't do Leon any good.
The biggest damage you will see coming from him is through his throws, if you normally play a strike character it is difficult to get the right mindset to play as Leon because he really doesn't need to strike at all.

Drake Aldan

That being said, uncharged 214P+K has saved my life a couple of times. Even if it is unsafe...

A lot of people don't expect the range.

PJudge

It does have a deceptive range. I've been trying to figure out what to do to a running in opponent, as a lot of his chains end with either the Dervish Throw or the Desert Falcon, but I haven't found anything consistent yet.Maybe I'll give 214P+K a go.

KidArk

Good Leon wake up punish , 2 Back dashes away P+K T , works against all wake ups even special ones, just... well you won't throw them if they fall, ie Kasumi, Mariposa, Alpha , Hayate , those weird special wake up kicks. Solid cannon 236 P works too... but P+K T looks soo good x_x

Last edited:

PJudge

Good Leon wake up punish , 2 Back dashes away P+K T , works against all wake ups even special ones, just... well you won't throw them if they fall, ie Kasumi, Mariposa, Alpha , Hayate , those word special wake up kicks. Solid cannon 236 P works too... but P+K T looks soo good x_x
Just tried this online and wow, does it work. People wake-up kicking is just free damage now...

I can't help but compare Leon to Rachel in terms of playstyles. There must be something that I am not seeing. What differentiates these two?

Brute

Standard Donor
I can't help but compare Leon to Rachel in terms of playstyles. There must be something that I am not seeing. What differentiates these two?
Rachel has better string mix-ups, relies on juggles, has an OH reset that can be done mid string, a unique sidestep move and has her insane FT. Leon deals heavier damage per strike, has a plethora of chargeable attacks, utilizes ground throws, has standing and crouching OHs that deal damage and nets bigger raw damage off of his HiC throws.

I see why ppl gravitate to Rachel already. Do Leon's charge moves make a big difference? It seems like his (kick) charges can be seen easily. I'm gonna guess also that Leon has a big focus on environment, from his air throws. I kinda wish he had more to offer, like Bayman, but do ppl pick him for his "rawness"?

PJudge

I pick him because he's Leon, but that's just because I like the way his attacks look and feel. This iteration of him feels a lot more HiC heavy, and it feels incredibly rewarding to watch as you throw someone halfway across the stage for a 50% ish damage. His charge kicks can be seen easily, but for some reason I never see anyone punish them that much. Plus his hit-throw, accessed from a fully charged P+K, does a sizable chunk of damage. I just get bored watching Rachels, as it just looks like I'm watching two people try to do the same thing to each other.

In short, I would pick Leon for his "rawness", yes.

Brute

Standard Donor
Of course they gravitate towards Rachel. She has tits, is the easiest character to learn how to play in the whole game and has the advantage of being easily top-tier. There are some who pick her for reasons aside from those, but the vast majority are in that group. Leon is for those who aren't sell-outs.

PJudge

I do admit, I do kind of want to pick up Rachel, but at the moment I refuse to on principle. I always said I'd give her a go if she was ever put in, but she's just so braindead that it doesn't look fun. It's the same reason I dropped Superman in Injustice. She's basically an oversexualised Superman (try that mental image if you dare).

Also, she doesn't look half as painful as the stuff Leon does. I'll always play Leon, even if he's "bottom tier". But he's not. He's just so damn strong!

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I see why ppl gravitate to Rachel already. Do Leon's charge moves make a big difference? It seems like his (kick) charges can be seen easily.

many of the easier to see moves connect,even on pro players. its not just in DOA either. people freeze up like a dear in headlights with those types of moves it seems

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I do admit, I do kind of want to pick up Rachel, but at the moment I refuse to on principle. I always said I'd give her a go if she was ever put in, but she's just so braindead that it doesn't look fun. It's the same reason I dropped Superman in Injustice. She's basically an oversexualised Superman (try that mental image if you dare).

Also, she doesn't look half as painful as the stuff Leon does. I'll always play Leon, even if he's "bottom tier". But he's not. He's just so damn strong!
I think once people truly understand how to take advantage with him, he'll be better recognized. Hell, I feel like I'm finally back to my DOA5 level of talent with Akira adjusting to his nerfs.

I keep saying that i'm going to start my work on Leon, but I think I finally mean it this time. I kept getting distracted.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
many of the easier to see moves connect,even on pro players. its not just in DOA either. people freeze up like a dear in headlights with those types of moves it seems
It's because the time you can spend charging it is so great that a miss timed counter = the hurt.

Codemaster92163

I wouldn't say Leon is bottom tier. He reminds me a small bit of Bass, actually. Most anytime you use his air throw and run up, your opponent's always at a sizable disadvantage. They either remain laying down and eat the ground throw, or stand up for a mix-up game. His throws are strong, he has guard-breaks aplenty, many chargeable moves and good CB damage. He's not a great character, but he's pretty decent.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD