tips against characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathHand

DOA3JannLee2.jpg Hi im kinda new here so correct me if this is not the right place to do this, and sorry if its not.I will delete this right away in that case =´)

I have a question to the professional players.wen i play doa5 I have huge problems against jann lee and brad wong players, I understand brad wong is one of the most diversed character in the game wen it comes to moveset so its harder for me to read his movements against more pro players, but jann.... =´7

the thing is Im playing and I win against for exemple a good helena or hayabusa player, then wen I fight a jann lee I just cant understand why the counters only come after the hit (and sometimes mid seem like high or vise versa) so I have huge problems in stoping his combos,even with little connection lag.what im trying to say is im able to beat like a hayabusa player,and this player was able to beat a jann lee with no problem but for some reason I beat this hayabusa but I stand no chance against the jann lee player.this is very anoying for me xD i cant even use my christie or hayate dodge move "up or down P+H" because his kicks always hit wen i do this.i want to become a better player so if anyone can help me plz do =´) and thank u for ur time

ps:if u cant understad what im trying to say plz tell me so I can use other kind of vocabolary to explain myself better,english is not my main language =´P

Scott

This might not be the advice you want but I'll leave it anyway. I feel as if one of the best ways to improve on holds against a certain character match up is to learn said character. Study up on them and play them for a while. You will pick up on when it's favorable to throw certain attacks and patterns of play that you find successful.

When you step away from that character and return to your main it will be easier to read and anticipate the movements of the character you previously had issues with. "I know Jann Lee really wants to throw a mid here." Your ability to counteract your opponents attempts to thwart you will greatly improve.

There are some people who are great at reading and countering who only play one character though, so everyone has their own methods. But I encourage you to take a stab at learning Jann Lee and who knows. You may even enjoy playing him after a while.

Hope this helps.

DeathHand

This might not be the advice you want but I'll leave it anyway. I feel as if one of the best ways to improve on holds against a certain character match up is to learn said character. Study up on them and play them for a while. You will pick up on when it's favorable to throw certain attacks and patterns of play that you find successful.

When you step away from that character and return to your main it will be easier to read and anticipate the movements of the character you previously had issues with. "I know Jann Lee really wants to throw a mid here." Your ability to counteract your opponents attempts to thwart you will greatly improve.

There are some people who are great at reading and countering who only play one character though, so everyone has their own methods. But I encourage you to take a stab at learning Jann Lee and who knows. You may even enjoy playing him after a while.

Hope this helps.
thank u =´) I did learn his moveset, but ur idea of leaning how to play with him besides knowing his moves is a good one, its gonna take time though =´P and I realy have to train againt human oponents after that because jann lee in cpu level 8 its a bit easy at this point
thanks for taking the time

DeathHand

He's being sarcastic as he and his two buddies Lopedo and Raansu have a constant need to remind us of their (false) opinnion that DOA5 is shit.

thanks P1naatt1ke1tt0 =´) .english is not my main language its harder for me to understand sarcasm xD .I dont understand why ppl still say that doa is not a good game, its very balanced (its not VF balanced but still very good) and though u have fewer characters like most games (tekken, umvc3 you name it),evry character in doa is very diverse.

guessing only works when your oponent is still learning (a newb if u like to call it), and because of this he/she will create paterns making it easier for us to guess,if u play against a good player likeP1naatt1ke1tt0 he will try to adapt his fighting style to every situation in order to avoid his oponent guessing what he will do next.its about reflexes and knowing characters movesets not guessing =´)

ScattereDreams

View attachment 1001 Hi im kinda new here so correct me if this is not the right place to do this, and sorry if its not.I will delete this right away in that case =´)

I have a question to the professional players.wen i play doa5 I have huge problems against jann lee and brad wong players, I understand brad wong is one of the most diversed character in the game wen it comes to moveset so its harder for me to read his movements against more pro players, but jann.... =´7

the thing is Im playing and I win against for exemple a good helena or hayabusa player, then wen I fight a jann lee I just cant understand why the counters only come after the hit (and sometimes mid seem like high or vise versa) so I have huge problems in stoping his combos,even with little connection lag.what im trying to say is im able to beat like a hayabusa player,and this player was able to beat a jann lee with no problem but for some reason I beat this hayabusa but I stand no chance against the jann lee player.this is very anoying for me xD i cant even use my christie or hayate dodge move "up or down P+H" because his kicks always hit wen i do this.i want to become a better player so if anyone can help me plz do =´) and thank u for ur time

ps:if u cant understad what im trying to say plz tell me so I can use other kind of vocabolary to explain myself better,english is not my main language =´P

Yeah I kinda did have some trouble understanding, but it's cool. It would better if you could upload some vids and I could watch your matches to give some pointers. Against Brad Wong, knowing his strings and options is a big plus. If Wong goes into laying stance but doesn't have any frame advantage 2p works well and should beat anything he does, unless he side rolls.

then wen I fight a jann lee I just cant understand why the counters only come after the hit

Not sure about this. It sounds like you were put into a unholdable stun, if that's the case then the hold animation won't come out until after the guaranteed setup is finished or the frames on a unholdable stun have passed. If I had more in-depth info I could help you better. If you have more questions I'll try to answer. As far as guessing in DOA, guessing is a big part of it, but does not entirely define DOA5.

If you're able to upload videos to your facebook or youtube so I can watch them and give better criticism please do.

DeathHand

Yeah I kinda did have some trouble understanding, but it's cool. It would better if you could upload some vids and I could watch your matches to give some pointers. Against Brad Wong, knowing his strings and options is a big plus. If Wong goes into laying stance but doesn't have any frame advantage 2p works well and should beat anything he does, unless he side rolls.

Not sure about this. It sounds like you were put into a unholdable stun, if that's the case then the hold animation won't come out until after the guaranteed setup is finished or the frames on a unholdable stun have passed. If I had more in-depth info I could help you better. If you have more questions I'll try to answer. As far as guessing in DOA, guessing is a big part of it, but does not entirely define DOA5.

If you're able to upload videos to your facebook or youtube so I can watch them and give better criticism please do.

"If Wong goes into laying stance but doesn't have any frame advantage 2p works well and should beat anything he does, unless he side rolls." Thanks a lot,this is exactly the kind of information Im looking for =´) this helps a lot.The problem with Jann lee is that I have a lot of trouble to read is moves unlike most characters,to me his moves seem realy way to fast,and if Im playing with lag, I can just forget about it I get into unholdable stun with a few hits.ill just have to practice more I guess.thanks for taking the time

I play Jann Lee you can fight me for practice if you want
will do friend =´) .Ill add you tomorow,today Im not playing xbox.we still need to see our conection though see u online

Brute

Standard Donor
I was going to correct the stupidity in this thread, but then I remembered good ol' Twain.
"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

In regard to the OP, Jan Lee is a top tier character. He has lots of good options that deal great damage for their speed and often leave him with a multitude of follow-up options. If your opponent is good and knows what he's doing, you will always have difficulty facing Jan Lee.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
There's also the saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." You decided to pitch in your two cents so... there's that.

Brute

Standard Donor
There's also the saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." You decided to pitch in your two cents so... there's that.
As does everyone who speaks, which is nearly everyone who's not mute. It's the degree to which is done.

DeathHand

I was going to correct the stupidity in this thread, but then I remembered good ol' Twain.
"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

In regard to the OP, Jan Lee is a top tier character. He has lots of good options that deal great damage for their speed and often leave him with a multitude of follow-up options. If your opponent is good and knows what he's doing, you will always have difficulty facing Jan Lee.

thanks.I had the idea that jann lee is top tier,but never meet any pro to confirm my suspicion =´)

I sense a bit of agression here (not to me but betwen u guys).correct me if Im wrong,but in case there is,theres no need to argue in this thread about this game,this is just a noob (me x´D ) trying to learn from the pros =´P everyone has opinions and almost everyone will try to tell you what to do,lets just repect evryone and keep it civil plz

Brute

Standard Donor
thanks.I had the idea that jann lee is top tier,but never meet any pro to confirm my suspicion =´)

I sense a bit of agression here (not to me but betwen u guys).correct me if Im wrong,but in case there is,theres no need to argue in this thread about this game,this is just a noob (me x´D ) trying to learn from the pros =´P everyone has opinions and almost everyone will try to tell you what to do,lets just repect evryone and keep it civil plz
I'm not a pro, but most pros do agree that Jan Lee is top tier.

And yes, that is tension you sense.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
The problem with Grap3's assertion of "guess faster" is that it is a very old DOA 4 joke/insult, and he is using it solely because he knows it pisses people off. Not because he understands its relevance.

The actual reasoning behind "guessing faster" is because in an offense oriented game, simply blocking (aka inaction) eventually leads to string delay fakeouts, OH's, throws, etc that allow your opponent to break your defense and walk all over you. The faster you catch on to your opponents fundamental pattern, the faster you can start making aggressive interruptions of their offense and start your own.

And while Grap3 uses the term "guess faster" like an insult to the game, it's actually more of an insult to the player who uses that mentality because the simple phrasing "guess faster" assumes they are not capable of pattern analysis in the slightest, making every interruption a baseless guess (to be looked down upon, as he does) as opposed to a good guess.

Note that high level 3D FG'rs appreciate mindgames where pattern recognition is a viable thing and rewarded properly -- especially when whatever rock-paper-scissors system that game uses has unequal rewards which add more personality identifiers to that mindgame.

Again, lots of stuff Grap3 doesn't really understand. He just likes to bitch about holds a lot. /shrug

Gill Hustle

The problem with Grap3's assertion of "guess faster" is that it is a very old DOA 4 joke/insult, and he is using it solely because he knows it pisses people off.

It's all fine and dandy between the OG's, but we collectively should be using powers for good not evil.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD