Characters Tom Lee Sure Loves Crossovers

FGC-20160711-CrossOver.jpg

Dead or Alive Festival was a killer event that not only delivered one of the finest fighting tournaments the FGC has ever seen, but also revealed the addition of Mai (from Fatal Fury and KoF) to the Dead or Alive roster. I believe it was very exciting to any of the community skeptics who thought the reveal may only be a few costumes and a new stage.

In this excellent article written by Christian Bahn we get to hear more from the often-times quiet, Creative Director of Team NINJA, Tom Lee -- who has quite a bit to say not just about crossovers, but the community as well. The Virtua Fighter crossover was the blueprint of success, not only because the characters transitioned well into the DOA universe, but because it made sense. Now that Team NINJA has proven they can successfully do crossovers well, it is without any doubt in my mind Mai will help breath fresh life into a game for the older players looking for something new, and a new audience of KoF players... especially to those that enjoyed Maximum Impact.

Tom Lee knows the DOA community like the back of his head, and he knows the recommendations that people make on Twitter, and he knows that it is impossible to please every last fan... not everyone loved the Virtua Fighter crossover, but the tournament showing of the characters and popularity still has proven enough to Team NINJA to keep the trend going. Though I also believe "trolls" have there place in the community. A lot of them are typically shammed, even if their passion is very clear and often times misinterpreted.

I believe that both the community and Team NINJA is doing great working as a team with plenty of content from Team NINJA and plenty of studious players dissecting and processing it all. Let's hope Mai is a stunning success and brings in even more members of the FGC together.

Give back to the Offline Scene | The History of DOA | DOA Festival: Full Show

Last edited:
They can't fire the old one either as... that... just doesn't happen in Japanese business culture. You have to really, really screw up to get fired.

To be fair, they won't fire you...they'll just toss you into what's basically a pointless position instead(see Gunpei Yokoi...yeah I messed up his first name I think).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD