Virtua Fighter vs Dead or Alive discussion thread

Blackula

Well, Team Ninja with DOA5 did something that was completely unexpected. They added the VF characters into DOA5. This was a very historic moment as I've seen characters from two of my favorite fighting game series in the same game for the first time. Hopefully, it won't be the last time. That is why I am creating this thread.

Team Ninja showed us that the VF characters work extremely well together with the DOA characters in the DOA system. However, I still would like to see the opposite. I would love to see how well the DOA characters work in a VF system. Though instead of just adding a few characters from DOA to the next VF game (since we don't know when that will be), I would rather just go ahead and see the full crossover game VF vs DOA.

Keep in mind that in a crossover game, that it is one developer who makes the game obtaining licenses from the other team for use of their characters, etc.

I would like to get everyone's opinion's on this. Feel free to post up your thoughts, concerns, any ideas you would have for such a project as this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I created this thread both on here and on Virtua Fighter Dot Com so I could get both communities talking. To see what the guys over at VFDC are saying, please visit this thread.

http://virtuafighter.com/threads/virtua-fighter-vs-dead-or-alive-discussion-thread.17800/

Blackula

My wishes for it though would Sega AM2 be the developer for this game. Also that it would use the VF system but the DOA style environments, stages, and flair. One thing that many people have recognized that in VF, if you don't know what's going on, it can look kinda boring. Fun to play yet boring to watch. And while DOA has the flash, the system isn't as solid as the VF system. So why not take the best of both worlds and marry them?

shunwong

This would be great. I basically agree with everything: am2 as developers, VF system, DOA environments...

Another thing Id like to see is how sega would handle Tag battles. Of course singles should be included too.

Blackula

This would be great. I basically agree with everything: am2 as developers, VF system, DOA environments...

Another thing Id like to see is how sega would handle Tag battles. Of course singles should be included too.

That's actually something I'd like to see for myself. How tag would work in a VF system.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Fun fact: The damage priority over wakeup kicks that was recently added in the latest DOA5 patch was adapted from the VF series.

#themoreyouknow

Reactions: d3v

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
VF System on a DOA environment is a excellent idea. Screw my last idea that I said on VFDC when I mentioned that there should be a Fighters Megamix styled gameplay in which you have the option to switch.

Should stages be similar to VF3/VF5FS or like DOA2-5?

Blackula

VF System on a DOA environment is a excellent idea. Screw my last idea that I said on VFDC when I mentioned that there should be a Fighters Megamix styled gameplay in which you have the option to switch.

Should stages be similar to VF3/VF5FS or like DOA2-5?

DOA stages.

Reactions: d3v

HoodsXx

I'm all for this as well. It'd' be amazing to see this development. Like Takeda said, definitely dropping of the hold system, would be different but I think it could play well for the DOA cast.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Right, the hold system definitely has to be dropped because it just screws up too much of the VF character's gameplan. Ringouts would need to be removed and replaced with DOA style stages, however, as DOA characters in general have waaaaaaaaaaaay too much knockback for a ringout oriented game to work fairly. DOA characters would require substantial frame-related buffs to compensate, as well.

Those things done, however, and you have a beautiful game.

DeathHand

it would be cool to see lion vs christie or a byaman vs goh =´) too bad they didnt add these vf characters =´(

I'd like to see Team Ninja and A&M do separate versions.

.5 versions of DOA5 and VF5FS with each of the rosters bolstered by characters of the two universes.

I'd want to see how Team Ninja would handle a character like Wolf as much as I'd like to see
A&M tackle a character like Helena.

Also I don't understand why the Dead or Alive community and Virtua Fighter community don't try to support each other more. The systems are similar enough that crossing over wouldn't be as difficult as jumping to another fighter and with the two communities combined we'd have much more of a chance of pushing one or both of the titles into evolution year after year.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Roster-Wise, Virtua Fighter has a total of 20 Characters (21 if you count the removed character Siba) and DOA have a total of 28 Characters. I believe a good count should be about 40 Characters (20 from VF, 20 from DOA) .

This is my take:

Virtua Fighter
Akira Yuki
Pai Chan
Lau Chan
Wolf Hawkfield
Jeffry McWild
Kage-Maru
Sarah Bryant
Jacky Bryant
Shun-Di
Lion Rafale
Aoi Umenokouji
Taka-Arashi
Lei-Fei
Vanessa Lewis
Brad Burns
Goh Hinogami
Eileen
El Blaze
Jean Kujo
Dural

Dead or Alive (This is gonna be a tough choice)
Kasumi
Ryu Hayabusa
Gen Fu
Tina Armstrong
Bass Armstrong
Zack
Jann Lee
Leifang
Ayane
Bayman
Leon
Helena Douglas
Hitomi
Christie
Kokoro
Brad Wong
Lisa (La Mariposa)
Mila
Rig
Alpha-152

It was rough to list the DOA side, but feel free do disagree.

EDIT: I mentioned this on VFDC, but for unlockable characters, I will put in Siba and Hayate.

TakedaZX

Roster-Wise, Virtua Fighter has a total of 20 Characters (21 if you count the removed character Siba) and DOA have a total of 28 Characters. I believe a good count should be about 40 Characters (20 from VF, 20 from DOA) .

This is my take:

Virtua Fighter
Akira Yuki
Pai Chan
Lau Chan
Wolf Hawkfield
Jeffry McWild
Kage-Maru
Sarah Bryant
Jacky Bryant
Shun-Di
Lion Rafale
Aoi Umenokouji
Taka-Arashi
Lei-Fei
Vanessa Lewis
Brad Burns
Goh Hinogami
Eileen
El Blaze
Jean Kujo
Dural

Dead or Alive (This is gonna be a tough choice)
Kasumi
Ryu Hayabusa
Gen Fu
Tina Armstrong
Bass Armstrong
Zack
Jann Lee
Leifang
Ayane
Bayman
Leon
Helena Douglas
Hitomi
Christie
Kokoro
Brad Wong
Lisa (La Mariposa)
Mila
Rig
Alpha-152

It was rough to list the DOA side, but feel free do disagree.
But... Hayate...

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
But... Hayate...
Ugh... this is why it's hard to list DOA characters. Ok, if I put in either Ein or Hayate, I'll have to put in Siba. After all, Siba was a prototype VF character that didn't see the light of day until Fighters Megamix.

TakedaZX

Ugh... this is why it's hard to list DOA characters. Ok, if I put in either Ein or Hayate, I'll have to put in Siba. After all, Siba was a prototype VF character that didn't see the light of day until Fighters Megamix.
I understand that it's just my thing is Hayate is actually an important character to the story of DOA, as a playable character. Alpha-152 over him just bothers me considering she was only a boss character before, and in the end she just plays like Kasumi and a few other characters mixed, on crack, without a wake up game beyond giving everyone a free forced tech.

But the real question is, do characters have to be cut?

Blackula

I understand that it's just my thing is Hayate is actually an important character to the story of DOA, as a playable character. Alpha-152 over him just bothers me considering she was only a boss character before, and in the end she just plays like Kasumi and a few other characters mixed, on crack, without a wake up game beyond giving everyone a free forced tech.

But the real question is, do characters have to be cut?

It would be nice to have equal representation from both sides. Unfortunately DOA has a few more characters than VF does.

Blackula

Original post edited with the Virtua Fighter Dot Com thread link. Please visit it and read the comments there as well.

Chaos

Hmmmm DOA characters program into the VF engine?!? :eek: lets see...
DOA characters would have frame avantage, frametraps, etc...

No slow escape out of sit down stuns & more guaranteed options/set ups

Waaaay less random bullshit

Deep competitive fighting system

No stupid guessing counter holds out of an stun game

DOA environments of course

Sounds interesting to me :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD