Virtua Fighter vs Dead or Alive discussion thread

Blackula

-I personally do not like all the stunning and countering in current Doa. If its a modified Doa2/3 than I would be fine with it. Like I said earlier, the reason VF is bland, is due to the engine itself. Doa share many of the same core elements,fundamentals, and game theory, yet its engine promotes flashiness and excitement. For VF to obtain such flashiness, it would infact have to become Doa. Its the only logical next step...And thus the reasoning why VF have never moved beyond what it is.

-This is why I say they have to use Doa's engine if they would like for the game to be flashy. What Team Ninja would have to do, is tighten up and refine Doa's overall engine. Utilizing many of VF's gameplay elements would help refine the engine.

If Team Ninja could manage to fine tune DOA's system mechanics to work more like VF's, then I wouldn't see a problem with that. DOA has the flash already as you mentioned. It's the fact that would Team Ninja be willing to make said changes. The game seriously needs attack punishment, a REAL throw break system, less stunning, stuns that you cannot escape period, etc. You need to be rewarded when you properly defend your attacker and he is being careless. He should be punished and punished hard.

If all this happens, then the challenge would just be to get the VF players on board. They would have to be convinced that it plays more like VF and that it has departed from some of the ways of DOA that kept people away.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with everything you said. Its not like Team Ninja cannot do it. Doa2 and Doa3 was heading down that direction. Doa4 X05 build was showing great promise to evolve the series, but that fell through. Doa5 is a lot better than Doa4, and there is no reason why TN cant continue to fine tune the game to perfection.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
If Team Ninja could manage to fine tune DOA's system mechanics to work more like VF's, then I wouldn't see a problem with that. DOA has the flash already as you mentioned. It's the fact that would Team Ninja be willing to make said changes. The game seriously needs attack punishment, a REAL throw break system, less stunning, stuns that you cannot escape period, etc. You need to be rewarded when you properly defend your attacker and he is being careless. He should be punished and punished hard.

If all this happens, then the challenge would just be to get the VF players on board. They would have to be convinced that it plays more like VF and that it has departed from some of the ways of DOA that kept people away.

large_George-W-Bush-Oct11-01-Legacy.jpg

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team

That is by far the truest shit I've ever heard. That could definitely work!

KwonJigglypuff

I think they should give DOA characters costumes from the VF serie, and vice versa.
It would demonstrate the love both franchises have for each other.

doavf.jpg

Feel free to disagree on some of my choices. These are not based on the "rivalries", but mainly on the physical similitude.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I actually like the cross costume concept, especially the costumes from other Sega franchises.

Koompbala

Ya know before DoA 5 came out I was really hoping that TN would make their own version VF costumes with the VF customization. Both silly and serious versions but alas they just went with default costume types.

Dutch Samurai

@ Kwon! Very nice!, Only thing would be that Alpha would need to keep her "hair" even if it went from green Jello to chrome, just to differentiale her appearance from Dural's.

KwonJigglypuff

Yeah I know Dutch : Alpha would keep her hair, loose her glowing effect for that "steel appearance" Dural has (either gold or silver).
On the other hand, Dural would get these "glowing effects" (red, green or blue). :)

They are pretty much alike anyway.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I don't know if there is anything else to say about mechanics. I think that's about it...

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Excellent discussion!

I feel that you guys made some very valid points. And yes, it is true that DOA lacks tech while VF lacks flash.

Take the Pre-Beat Tribe Cup for example:

Comparing that with DOA5's Japanese Tournament:

What can we say about this?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD