What system should the DOA IPL League be played on?

Which system would you rather compete on in the DOA IPL league?

• Total voters

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Evo uses the PS3 for all games and it's considered one of the premiere fighting game tournaments in the world. If DOA5 was to be included in Evo, it would be played on PS3.

Also, 1-frame of input delay in DOA does not have a significant impact on the game, even at the highest level of play. Compared to Tekken, SF and other games, 1-frame in DOA doesn't really change much. You can't break throws on reaction? 80% of the throws in the game can't be broken at all, and under most circumstances, you should be buffering a throw break any time a neutral throw may be used.

Don't get me wrong, 1-frame input delay is a valid concern, but that's not the issue here. The issue is that some people are accustomed to the 360 controller and do not want to have to invest in a converter or learn to adjust to the Dual Shock 3. Not everyone in the DOA community has this problem, myself included.

Again, the system of choice for DOA has not been decided. In the end, it may not even be up for discussion (just like it's not up for discussion at Evo), but I am listening.

It's not a legit issue with the controller. There's nothing wrong with the Dual Shock 3, it's just that people are accustomed to the 360 d-pad and the two controllers feel and respond very differently. For instance, I can play DOA on pad or stick with zero issues when it comes to the PS3, but I can barely execute a simple forward dash on the 360 pad.

The DS3 simply can't handle 11/33 inputs. I grew up with a playstation and It's not an issue of getting used to it. The DS3 just isn't designed for that kind of input. Granted, it can handle rolling motions just fine which is why there is very little complaining on the 2D/Tekken/SC/VF front.

I've already invested in a superior third party pad for when I'm forced to play on the PS3, and I'm not used to it by any stretch of the imagination but I will tell you this -- when I go for an input, I get the input I want. With the DS3? Not so much.

Obviously I'm covered either way at this point, but I would strongly recommend ditching the PS3. The capcom guys will appreciate it, as will the DOA crowd. The only thing that should influence any decision away from the choice of superior platform right now would be sponsorship -- which is also the only reason people are willing to deal with the PS3 at EVO.

Chaos

When using the DS3 Akira's :3::3::P: & Hayate's :3::3::K: is easy to execute but Hitomi's :3::3::P: & Kasumi's :3::3::K: is almost impossible to pull off......what's up with that? o_O

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Different characters have different buffer windows, as far as I've been able to tell.

Zeo

Different characters have different buffer windows, as far as I've been able to tell.
Eliot's :4::6::P: finisher for most of his strings is perfect example of that. The buffer window is tighter than any other :4::6: motion in the game as far as I've seen.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Eliot's :4::6::P: finisher for most of his strings is perfect example of that. The buffer window is tighter than any other :4::6: motion in the game as far as I've seen.

Bayman suffers from that too. I think they messed with the buffer on that specific notation when they introduced Akira.

FakeSypha

Are people actually defending the Xbox 360's d-pad? I mean, I'm seeing lots of bashing for the DS3 controller and its d-pad in this thread. I'm used to the 360's 'floaty' d-pad already, but that doesn't stop me to acknowledge how bad that shit is. Mother of God.

As of the console of choice itself, if the 1 frame delay is indeed existent, then the X360 should be the one used. Well then is sponsorship, so money could change that easily.

Jefffcore

Are people actually defending the Xbox 360's d-pad? I mean, I'm seeing lots of bashing for the DS3 controller and its d-pad in this thread. I'm used to the 360's 'floaty' d-pad already, but that doesn't stop me to acknowledge how bad that shit is.

Mother of God.
Most of the DOA community is on Xbox, they're either used to the 360 pad or have bought their own stick or pad for it. Switching to PS3 means spending more money, or using the PS3 pad that they aren't used to (which isn't all that fantastic either).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Are people actually defending the Xbox 360's d-pad? I mean, I'm seeing lots of bashing for the DS3 controller and its d-pad in this thread. I'm used to the 360's 'floaty' d-pad already, but that doesn't stop me to acknowledge how bad that shit is. Mother of God.

As of the console of choice itself, if the 1 frame delay is indeed existent, then the X360 should be the one used. Well then is sponsorship, so money could change that easily.

I don't use the stock pad for the 360 anymore either, but when I have had to use that thing it has still been superior to the DS3 for diagonal inputs.

Not that I want to defend that piece of crap, but for this particular game it IS more functional than the DS3.

RoboJoe

Neither controllers are particularly good for fighting games and I was using third party ones long before I switched to stick.

As for choice in console: I vote for 360. Even if you ignore that the majority plays on 360, the 1 frame delay should be enough of a reason to go 360, unless the ps3 has some sort of massive advantage that I'm forgetting.

DrDogg

This is not a buffer issue. If you read the strategy guide (shameless plug) you'll know that the 6 and the Punch must be executed at the same time. It's one of the few attacks in the game with this restriction. So it isn't the fact that the buffer is smaller, it's more so the fact that you're doing the input wrong.

Zeo

This is not a buffer issue. If you read the strategy guide (shameless plug) you'll know that the 6 and the Punch must be executed at the same time. It's one of the few attacks in the game with this restriction. So it isn't the fact that the buffer is smaller, it's more so the fact that you're doing the input wrong.
Going to do that in training right now...

U_C_A_F

dual shock works far better for me than 360's terrible pad for all fighters including this game, but if a majority of the community want to play on the dreadfully crappy 360 pad along with the 1 frame delay issue on the ps3 version then the choice is obvious as to which version should be played at tournies barring specially sponsored ones like evo.

Chaos

I like using the PS3 & 360 controller but sometimes I love them, sometimes I love hate them (D-pad wise). IMHO, both contorllers are very comfortable & the designs are nice looking but I still prefer The DS3 D-pad though.

riceman789

Well that's really up to their decision. I really feel no difference when it comes to playing on both systems, maybe for people who play on pad it's kinda(?) a big deal but for players who play stick like me pretty much nothing. Either we have to respect IPL's choice of console and just deal with it. I'm just happy that it's not on PC cause that was a pain and took too much time(*Coughs* Melty Blood).

I don't use the stock pad for the 360 anymore either, but when I have had to use that thing it has still been superior to the DS3 for diagonal inputs.

Not that I want to defend that piece of crap, but for this particular game it IS more functional than the DS3.

Can I get a link to a site that sales one of these third party pads. Right now I am using a PDP pad and the 33 motions are killing me.

Raansu

dual shock works far better for me than 360's terrible pad for all fighters including this game, but if a majority of the community want to play on the dreadfully crappy 360 pad along with the 1 frame delay issue on the ps3 version then the choice is obvious as to which version should be played at tournies barring specially sponsored ones like evo.

That's what converters are for.

werewolfgold

Does anyone know what causes the input delay? Since it doesn't seem to be constant across PS3 fighting games, why would some games have it and other games not?

Raansu

Does anyone know what causes the input delay? Since it doesn't seem to be constant across PS3 fighting games, why would some games have it and other games not?

Almost every PS3 game has it because it reserves memory for the xmb.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD