Who makes the cut in DOA 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
i probably shouldn't bring this subject up again, but i want to point out a flaw in your logic.

"original" is a broad word with many meanings. the subjects in question, however, can be narrowed down to a more specific description, and there's a very clear cut definition for it.
"An original character is a character created that does not come from an existing copyright"

you can easily see most of the definitions for the word original alone don't make a lot of sense in the context of fictional characters. "Present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest" would rule out every character that weren't part of the original game. Lisa Hamilton and Mila are not DOA original characters because they weren't there at the beginning, but that's false. and nobody actually uses the word original to refer to "an eccentric or unusual person", as there are about a dozen other more natural sounding adjectives for that.

the same logic can be applied to the moveset. using the chronological definition, you could say it was "originally there", it has been around for longer than some others. but as far as originality is concerned... the definition of this noun is very focused, and this is what people often think about when they use/see the adjective original.
"the quality of being novel"
"freshness of aspect, design, or style"
"the quality of being special and interesting and not the same as anything or anyone else"

we all know Rachel's moveset was a derivative of Spartan's moveset, therefore it falls short on this department.

just like with Mila, Rig, Momiji, Phase 4 and Diego, Marie Rose has an original moveset because an overwhelming portion of it are moves exclusive to her only. not even Honoka managed to steal anything from it.

tl;dr: semantics, semantics

p.s. i'm all for Naotora not coming back just so i don't have to see people mistyping her name again. it's so easy to type a vowel twice, but you just had to give your L key a slap on the ass.

I've already mentioned that Rachel's moveset alone makes her originality older than that of Marie Rose/Mila/Rig for DOA, and she already is more original being in Ninja Gaiden.... another Team NINJA product. There is no doubt that she should not be considered a guest in the same way that Mai was a guest.

It's the very reason people expect Momiji and Rachel to be "cashcow DLC", but nobody says a thing about Mai... because she was definitely a guest. Because they have to negotiate with other developers to have guests in their game, it likely will not happen again; at least that's what they say. Rachel and Momiji are a totally different scenario.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I've already mentioned that Rachel's moveset alone makes her originality older than that of Marie Rose/Mila/Rig for DOA, and she already is more original being a Ninja Gaiden.... another Team NINJA product. There is no doubt that she should not be considered a guest in the same way that Mai was a guest.

It's the very reason people expect Momiji and Rachel to be "cashcow DLC", but nobody says a thing about Mai... because she was definitely a guest.
I don't think TN is looking at it that deeply as you are tho. Plus Mai isnt gonna return at all, she pretty much was a one time deal, the way she was charged premium price and how limited her DLC costumes show that

The way TN is probably looking at it is that since Rachel and Momiji are very popular(or arguably Momiji since Rachel is more popular in the West) it would be smart to make them DLC since that's extra money they can get from it

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't think TN is looking at it that deeply as you are tho. Plus Mai isnt gonna return at all, she pretty much was a one time deal, the way she was charged premium price and how limited her DLC costumes show that

The way TN is probably looking at it is that since Rachel and Momiji are very popular(or arguably Momiji since Rachel is more popular in the West) it would be smart to make them DLC since that's extra money they can get from it

Exactly the point I'm trying to make. Unless something crazy happens, she's not coming back because she was a guest. Of course they are looking into it as deep as me. They own the assets for Rachel and Momiji and don't need the licensing to prove it or get in their way of doing it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Exactly the point I'm trying to make. Unless something crazy happens, she's not coming back because she was a guest. Of course they are looking into it as deep as me. They own the assets for Rachel and Momiji and don't need the licensing to prove it or get in their way of doing it.
Yeah but I think they're focusing more on core DOA characters who contribute to the story most is what I'm saying. They could make a storyline connection for Rachel and Momiji but they didn't have one prior, it just seems kind of silly to exclude say Raidou who has a strong plot potential as well as DOA backstory history in favor of Momiji who has no real established purpose in DOA5 other than to "test her skills" in the tournament. I think it's smarter to include Raidou or even rather than them for that purpose besides the fact they'll make quick money as DLC

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Yeah but I think they're focusing more on core DOA characters who contribute to the story most is what I'm saying. They could make a storyline connection for Rachel and Momiji but they didn't have one prior, it just seems kind of silly to exclude say Raidou who has a strong plot potential as well as DOA backstory history in favor of Momiji who has no real established purpose in DOA5 other than to "test her skills" in the tournament. I think it's smarter to include Raidou or even rather than them for that purpose besides the fact they'll make quick money as DLC

That's exactly why Raidou is making an appearance in the story, but it's not known if he will be playable or not. Fighting games these days spend too much time focusing on the core characters, and leave the rest for later... instead of making 4 new characters instead of two.

I would be disappointed to see Leon and Ein be DLC characters as well. Team NINJA has the assets, all they have to do is alter them a little and put them in.

I imagine that they are going down a similar path as Tekken with how they distribute DLC...

werewolfgold

i think its raidou. i still believe phase is counted in the 25 because its a dlc pack excusive for the deluxe edition, right? which comes with phase4. so its not like you’d be getting a costume for someone you dont own. but if its not her, it has to be genfu. hes the last legacy character i think. so.
Yeah...come to think of it, there's really no reason P4 wouldn't be included in the collector's edition button set. So, maybe the end is just Raidou. But, if they do have an "extra" character somehow, I think Ein has a shot. They would've likely just revealed Gen Fu with Eliot and Brad if he were in the game.

Lycanthrope -R-

The Brad/Eliot trailer says "The two fighters bolster the announced lineup to 24 playable characters at launch."

Okay, so there's 23 "normal" characters so far. Is the 24th at launch Nyotengu? Or someone else? There's supposed to be at least 26 characters. P4 would be 25.

26 has to be Raidou, right? We still don't have a final boss character.

KwonJigglypuff

Which necessary character does DOA6 lack at the moment? (Not talking about a fortune teller-ish female or a soldier-ish one, but from the veteran stock we have).

We just had the dynamic lucha libre girl, the babiquan geisha, the magic/electric idol, the drunken fist fighter, the traditional Chinese one...

Is Ein really so unique since we have Hitomi and Hayate? Or Leon now that we have Diego? I know they are totally different from each others, but in terms of character trope, what will justify their inclusion?

I want them all with fresh designs, not like in DOA5 Ultimate where they were just thrown in the game to satisfy the fans. What gameplay elements would you give Leon to make him more special? He felt more like a bonus before.

Sotherius

I'm guessing the next two characters are going to be Raidou and Momiji, possibly, is my gut feeling, and i'm calling it right now. Though any combination is possible at this point.

Honestly, i'm just glad that of all the characters that have been playable in the whole series, there are few that will actually be missing.

jellypvdding

if kt perry said this was the vanilla team i wouldn't be mad at her. we got the usual fighting styles needed to make this into another classic doa family affair baby!

Which necessary character does DOA6 lack at the moment? (Not talking about a fortune teller-ish female or a soldier-ish one, but from the veteran stock we have).

We just had the dynamic lucha libre girl, the babiquan geisha, the magic/electric idol, the drunken fist fighter, the traditional Chinese one...

Is Ein really so unique since we have Hitomi and Hayate? Or Leon now that we have Diego? I know they are totally different from each others, but in terms of character trope, what will justify their inclusion?

I want them all with fresh designs, not like in DOA5 Ultimate where they were just thrown in the game to satisfy the fans. What gameplay elements would you give Leon to make him more special? He felt more like a bonus before.

thanks to 4 and 5 we know our favs, karate boy and italian stallion like to be fashionably late so odds are we'll see them around 6U or 6LR. in 4, gen fu had a stint as a hidden character and after watching eliot pull off some of his trademark moves in the latest trailer i think the og is gonna be living his qing dynasty fantasy and playing mahjong til the updates roll around too.

also from how things went down in 5, we can guessume nicole's fighting style can be passed on and customized to fit a heavy type lady since rayray was the latest queen tossing hefers around like a salad. i'd be gagged if they made nicole's salad toss style recur, ideally on our petty martian legend herself, followed by a new character altogether, a guest queen from another franchise or make it rayray's cos it looks good on her.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I'm guessing the next two characters are going to be Raidou and Momiji, possibly, is my gut feeling, and i'm calling it right now. Though any combination is possible at this point.

Honestly, i'm just glad that of all the characters that have been playable in the whole series, there are few that will actually be missing.
If Momiji and Raidou actually will make it I will be very happy since I’ll have my team of DOA5LR again.

juliusxcix

Oh I think it’s gonna be new boss than
nah i really dont see any new characters making it in. i feel like theyre done announcing characters. two months left. the last character trailers we’ll get will be phase and nyo. just to hype people up to get them. the last few characters will likely he secret unlocks (raidou and maybe someone else idk)

i never expected them to announce raidou. but they did hint at him in Nicos announcement

juliusxcix

nah i really dont see any new characters making it in. i feel like theyre done announcing characters. two months left. the last character trailers we’ll get will be phase and nyo. just to hype people up to get them. the last few characters will likely he secret unlocks (raidou and maybe someone else idk)

i never expected them to announce raidou. but they did hint at him in Nicos announcement
we get 1 trailer a month. so. january will likely be the DOA6 final trailer. and feb will be the preorder for the 2 characters trailer. (or the other way around) but i think trailers are done.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
My Predictions:

Story, but no character slot - Genfu, Raidou
DLC - Rachel, Momiji
Final Character Reveal - Nyotengu, Phase 4 and... Victor Donovan! I know they said no, but I'm not sure I believe them. There has gotta be at least one big surprise before launch.

zoo

I know 25 has been the safe assumption but looking at the latest character select wouldn't 24 make more sense? 4 rows of 6 for the standard release, with another row being 6 DLC fighters. Thinking we'll have Nyo, Phase, Momiji, Rachel, Leon (or gen fu), and a possible guest fighter on the bottom row

Screenshot_2.jpg

now with the rows

Screenshot_2-1.jpg

not saying character select screens are reliable since they change often but it sorta makes sense imo, also includes everyone, what do you all think? (edit: kinda forgot about raidou but I guess he could fit the gen fu/leon box too)

Last edited:

Banana56

Eliot inherited some of Gen Fu’s moves and even has his costume, so I’m sure he’s done for.

If there really is 1 more base character left, it’s probably Raidou. If it’s 2 left, my guess is Momiji + Rachel.

zoo

I know 25 has been the safe assumption but looking at the latest character select wouldn't 24 make more sense? 4 rows of 6 for the standard release, with another row being 6 DLC fighters. Thinking we'll have Nyo, Phase, Momiji, Rachel, Leon (or gen fu), and a possible guest fighter on the bottom row

View attachment 26834

now with the rows

View attachment 26836

not saying character select screens are reliable since they change often but it sorta makes sense imo, also includes everyone, what do you all think? (edit: kinda forgot about raidou but I guess he could fit the gen fu/leon box too)

well I might be right... that was quick

just confused since they might be including nyotengu as part of the 24, if so then I wasn't totally accurate
still believe this means 6 dlc characters planned so the screen will likely shape like this if correct

Onryoki

Standard Donor
well I might be right... that was quick

just confused since they might be including nyotengu as part of the 24, if so then I wasn't totally accurate
still believe this means 6 dlc characters planned so the screen will likely shape like this if correct
We’ll have 26 characters in total, 2 of them are DLC.
2CFB222D-3582-4696-8470-0353B80FEDC5.jpeg

Raidou is probably the upcoming character with a trailer alongside Nyotengu and Phase 4. If Nyotengu is the 26th badge, she must be the 26th character. I think Nyotengu is also getting a costume in the costume set. Phase 4 unfortunately doesn’t get one. I think Raidou is the 24th and final character that we’ll see before the game releases.

Now it’s basically confirm Gen fu isn’t in at launch it’s time to celebrate this moment. Btw Raidou also was an OG character so I’m glad he got a second chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD