Xbox Controller - Input Help

Brute

Standard Donor
I've recently decided to try and learn to play on an xbox 360 standard controller. Using primarily the PS3's Dualshock, I can say that some things feel a lot better with the xbox controller, but other things I'm having a lot of difficulty with.

In particular, I find it very challenging to do double-diagonals. This includes the crouch dash, 33P and 33T commands. I also find it odd at times doing 46 or 64 directions.

Does anyone here primarily use the standard 360 controller for DOA5U? And if so, do you have any advice you could give me for how to do these better?

Pictured Mind

I always use the xbox controller. I can pull of moves like Helena's 33P4P anytime. Basically what it is, I press in between 2 and 6, the part in the lower right. The part that is lower than the + shape. It may look weird because the D pad is a circle, so you have to use the "corners" of the circle. I can't really explain this, especially in my second language but you just have to get used to it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah. On the PS3 I'd hit my thumb at the lower-right corner of "6" and the upper-right corner of "2" to get the "3" area, then hit it again. I preferred hitting it far from the center so as not to roll the middle and get some unintended 6s or 2s. But that location doesn't exist with the circular xbox pad, since the webbing cuts out before the edges of each horizontal/vertical direction. So I find I keep smudging and rolling it weird. =\

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, 360 controller is like that. I personally just don't bother. I just couldn't get anything accurately and even if I could, my fingers would die in like five games.

Tenren

or you can just get a stick and learn it lmao. Really if you wanna easier pad look for a razer or hori pad for 360. Hajin/Cj/ and all the other use the hori pad. If you baller you can get a mlg pad

SchwarzPhy

It takes getting used to but the best advice I can give is use the joystick. I wouldn't even bother trying to use the terrible d-pad.

Pictured Mind

Yeah. On the PS3 I'd hit my thumb at the lower-right corner of "6" and the upper-right corner of "2" to get the "3" area, then hit it again. I preferred hitting it far from the center so as not to roll the middle and get some unintended 6s or 2s. But that location doesn't exist with the circular xbox pad, since the webbing cuts out before the edges of each horizontal/vertical direction. So I find I keep smudging and rolling it weird. =\

That's why you have to use the whole circle. It's a weird design choice but it works if you get used to it.

For diagonal inputs I don't even touch the + shape. Only use the + for 2, 4, 6 and 8.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
One thing I can say is that if you're going to use a Microsoft pad, in my experience, it HAS to be the one with the "transforming" d-pad. The d-pad still isn't great, but I find it useable.

The standard 360 controller is simply unplayable as far as I'm concerned.

Tenren

ok for real now, back in the day we use to take some thick paper and add it under the d-pad, Like business card paper. Also if you can find an old original xbox s-controller you can swap the dpads. I still have my modded dpad controller. You then learn to play on both dpad and joystick. I used the dpad for 4,6-8,2 moments. While the stick was for circular and 7,3-1,9 movements. Next time we hang out Ill bring my modded controller and you can try it out.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
It takes getting used to but the best advice I can give is use the joystick. I wouldn't even bother trying to use the terrible d-pad.
Not sure I can do that. =\

or you can just get a stick and learn it lmao. Really if you wanna easier pad look for a razer or hori pad for 360. Hajin/Cj/ and all the other use the hori pad. If you baller you can get a mlg pad
Not rich enough for a fightstick, haha. I tried Panda's hori at SCR. Pros and cons. Think I just needed a bit more adjustment on it. Movement felt good, though. Definitely better than normal PS3/360 pads.

ok for real now, back in the day we use to take some thick paper and add it under the d-pad, Like business card paper. Also if you can find an old original xbox s-controller you can swap the dpads. I still have my modded dpad controller. You then learn to play on both dpad and joystick. I used the dpad for 4,6-8,2 moments. While the stick was for circular and 7,3-1,9 movements. Next time we hang out Ill bring my modded controller and you can try it out.
Interesting. I'd be interested to try that next time. Thanks, man.

Seppu

i've done this with my controller.

it's pretty ridiculous how something so small can make such a huge difference. just with a single piece of circular card, you go from a loose unresponsive d-pad to a firm clicky d-pad. you won't have to worry about messing up inputs either as the slightest press will register every time.

i definitely recommend doing this. the difference is instantly noticeable.

plus no one gives a crap about controller warranty anyway

Cake

Better take notes.

to be honest, the only trouble I seem to have with the X controller is that the down button in the d-pad seems a bit unresponsive... like I had to really press it a little bit harder than what I was used to, and that goes for all my 3 X original controllers (I was used to the 4th controller I had, Mad Catz SF controller which broke QQ). I'm doing fine now though..

"fine" (still a scrub trying to have a clue what I'm doing half the time)

Dr Snipe

Premium Donor
Hand size actually is a big factor. If you have small hands the diagonals are a problem. If you have big hands directional inputs like 2 are a problem. I have no issue with 33 or 11. But when it comes to 2 I get 1 or 3, or just sloppy inputs all around. I have found that if your fast enough you get double inputs instead of one ( in tag mostly ). Try 3 PP you'll get 33 P.

d3v

I've recently decided to try and learn to play on an xbox 360 standard controller.
Why?

The 360 DPad is horrible for fighting games.

I know some of the best pad players in the world who actually prefer using PS2 controllers with converters to play their games.

Brute

Standard Donor
Why?

The 360 DPad is horrible for fighting games.

I know some of the best pad players in the world who actually prefer using PS2 controllers with converters to play their games.
Because almost every tournament I've been to has been on X360, and I've been showing up to every one trying to adjust to a 360 controller. I'd rather be comfortable with the controller I'm using before the morning of a tournament. I could stay with a PS3 controller and use an adapter, but sometimes they're banned or don't work right (I observed this very issue happening at SCR).

Hand size actually is a big factor. If you have small hands the diagonals are a problem. If you have big hands directional inputs like 2 are a problem. I have no issue with 33 or 11. But when it comes to 2 I get 1 or 3, or just sloppy inputs all around. I have found that if your fast enough you get double inputs instead of one ( in tag mostly ). Try 3 PP you'll get 33 P.
I'm not sure if I have big hands, but my thumbs are double-jointed (I can bend them backwards to a 90 degree angle) which does affect how I press buttons and move my fingers.

d3v

Get a MadCatz MLG Pro Circuit. Those are what they used when they brought console games (SCV and UMvC3) into SBO and were brough in by the recommendation of the guy who won SCV at EVO.

Either that, or us a DualShock 2 with a converter. IIRC, that's what Wolfkrone does.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Eh I can't use stock 360. I always mod it out to put my Xbox 1 S d-pad into it so the controller actually works.

Cake

to be honest, the one thing stopping me from buying the madcatz controller is that it's expensive as hell and I can only use it on one platform... sou you feel obligated to buy two. now if only it could be used in both...

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Figure I'll chime in here ages after the fact. If you have trouble with the dpad and diagonals, you have a couple options: first, break it in as it does take a bit to get to the optimal state. Second, replace it. I've gotten quite a few bad controllers over the years and that's all there is to it sometimes. A good 360 dpad feels pretty solid to me and I don't drop inputs at all. A bad one is horrendous.

I long for the return of the original Xbox dpads. Those were the best dpads ever created and some people mod the controller S variant dpad into 360 controllers. It works really well.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD