Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
you know for the fight against Ryu being the entire fucking point you would have thought they would make it good. i blame those dam zombies they completely eliminated any sort of skill needed to beat him

Dragonball and DragonBall Z are the same, aren't they 0.0

same universe WAAAAAY different shows.

Brute

Standard Donor
Yaiba is a completely different game to begin with. They've said it from the beginning and yet people still don't listen. Apples to oranges and all that.
Imagine you have a bunch of people who like motorcycles. You start Motorcycle Gaiden, and the motorcycle folks love your product. Then, you made your third motorcycle model and it's not so good. People/Motorcycle Gaiden fans don't really like the new Motorcycle 3. So then you decide to add some spark to your brand name by making a semi-truck, outsourced, built and manufactured by another company, Truck Z. The motorcycle fans don't dig it. In fact, people who normally like semi-trucks don't really seem crazy about it either. At this point, the "it's supposed to be completely different from Motorcycle Gaiden" point just seems moot.

I understand you're good friends with some individuals in TN so you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, and that's great. But for most of us, $60 is a lot of money to spend. And look at it from my view after having watched almost the whole game on Youtube:
1) I don't like the artstyle
2) I don't like the writing/humor
3) I don't like how they handled one of my favorite game characters of all time
4) Critics (for what it's worth) don't seem to like it
5) Gamers who like the things I normally like (ie: previous Ninja Gaidens) mostly don't seem to like it
6) I don't think it looks like it would play well from what I've seen
7) It's really short

So, to say it's something separate from Ninja Gaiden is fine, but I also feel like it's fair for me to tell TN this isn't the kind of game I am interested in, whether it have the "Ninja Gaiden" brand title slapped on it or not. Without playing the game, I already know a lot I do not like, and nothing I do like (save one epic Izuna drop). Am I really expected to pay $60 just to be able to say that I don't like it with 100% certainty instead of the 90% certainty that I have now? Ninja Gaiden or no, the game seems to have little appeal to TN/NG's fans, such as myself.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
hes not telling you to buy it. he was saying TN isnt going to apply the "lessons" learned with Yaiba on how to make an NG game because it isnt an NG game.

Brute

Standard Donor
hes not telling you to buy it. he was saying TN isnt going to apply the "lessons" learned with Yaiba on how to make an NG game because it isnt an NG game.
If they want to keep their money to fund any of their future games, they should learn from Yaiba, as it sounds like it's shaping up to not only be a financial failure, but a black mark on TN's brand reputation, whether they developed it or not.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Rather than play metaphor tag, I'll simply say this: what you're saying ("I'm just not interested" or even "It doesn't look good") is completely fine. I don't expect everyone here to run out and buy the game just to have a qualified opinion. I do expect everyone here to take your path and say they have no interest and leave it at that, though. If there is no intent to buy the game, anything else someone might add from that position is completely skewed based on whatever their source material was. In the case of YouTube, there's a HEAVY bias either for or against a game simply for the reason that nobody enjoys someone playing a game with completely neutral stance.

And what @Russian-chiropractic19 said is exactly it and I know you got it so I'll leave it there.

Again, I don't think the Ninja Gaiden branding should have been anywhere near the title of the game. I do think the game would have benefited greatly by being simply "Yaiba" and have Ryu be the cameo appearance that he is. The press and most gamers will also largely ignore the actual developer and instead lay it all at Team NINJA's feet. Hopefully the game isn't a financial failure as these types of games are generally not terribly expensive to develop. I see this as more of a Dynasty Warriors type game than anything else and will likely enjoy it more than someone expecting another Ninja Gaiden title. The game would be better served if more were going into it like I am but it is what it is.

Instead of continuing this particular discussion, let's go back to what I originally said with some modification: if you're going to comment on the gameplay being good or bad, play it first. If you have no interest in it based on X or Y, that's also fair game. No attacking the title though. We have enough rampant stupidity to deal with online.

synce

Wow I thought I set my expecations pretty low at 55% but it's actually averaging 40% on gamerankings... damn lol

Female Tengu

@CyberEvil

Whie I agree that is there is a certain trend going on, I completely disagree with some of your given examples. But yeah, different story.

Anyways.

Yaiba suffers from several flaws, gameplay and design wise. So another name change to just "Yaiba" back again wouldn't change anything, I think.

Actually, my first reaction to the announcement was "why Spark Unlimited??". I even posted that on DOAW. From here on I knew that this can't end well. They raped Lost Planet (I love the first two games), and their history of bad games is well known. Yaibas was doomed from the very beginning. You can't expect something good or creative from them. Blame SU is what I say, but then again, someone decided to let Team Ninja work together with these "pros". So I think it's also fair to blame TecmoKoei. They knew(!) about Spark Unlimited bad games...they couldn't be so stupid. It seems like that Spark Unlimited's budget on games is pretty low. You can see that on all their games.They are even proud of glitchy and outdated graphics. And someone, whoever it was, gave it a "go".

Yaiba had a lot of potential I guess.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I stopped near the end of stage three, I believe, and I am definitely still enjoying things. I have some gripes that I'm noting as I go but I'll save those for the end. For now, I'll just ask anyone else that's playing: are you feeling completely lost as to what the game wants you to do in certain encounters? I feel like I'm skipping tutorials on things somewhere. I'm figuring things out eventually but yeah.

Gill Hustle

No JP Voice.

This game is really Quentin Tarantino-ish.

At first I was put off by things like the camera and controls, but once I got the hang of the combat system and mechanics I started having fun.

If you look at it as a game that's "making fun" of Ninja Gaiden it has appeal

I mainly started getting a grasp around the middle of the second stage *Spoiler* I die alot:

http://www.twitch.tv/ugslive/b/512310777

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The Japanese dub isn't really missed since Hayabusa doesn't speak. Or hasn't so far I suppose. What's there is actually pretty good in English considering the material.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD