Your General Complaints about DoA and Other Fighting Games?

theclassybutler

Here are some of my complaints about games like Dead or Alive online.

1. There are lobbies with only one or two people in them, and only one of them is ready to fight, the other just sits there and does nothing. Pro tip: DON'T OPEN A FUCKING LOBBY IF YOU'RE NOT EVEN GOING TO BE A SPECTATOR!!! Waiting forever, only to not be able to fight because some dumbfuck thinks it's a good idea to make a "wait forever for a fight lobby" is NOT FUN and RUINS the experience of playing online.

2. When only one person is winning in the entire lobby, others may view it as a challenge to see who can beat the champion first, and that's fun for some people. Note, I said "SOME people". Meaning, a bunch of masochists who enjoy being beaten repeatedly by the same guy over and over and over again. NO, that's NOT fun, and only creates an unfair situation, where no one wins except that ONE person. If you're winning more than 10 games in a row, it might be time to give up your turn to let someone else have a chance at winning, and those who don't do this are assholes, in my opinion.

3. In DOA, you lose more points if you lose to someone lower rank than you in ranked. What the fuck kind of bullshit is that? NO. That's NOT how it should work. If anything, you should ONLY lose MORE points if the person in question is CLOSE to your rank, like maybe 2 levels below you, and that's it. Losing 250 points to a D rank when I am C is bullshit. I should only be losing like 100 points. It's just not fair. If the opponent were a D rank and you were C, THEN I could see you losing more points, because at C rank, you should be able to wipe the floor with a D rank. Anything lower losing 250 points becomes bullshit.

Anyway, stupid as they are, these are my general complaints about DOA.
Go ahead and list some of yours.

Lulu

DoA's Input leniency does not account for Thumbstick Users, they should fix that.
And some of the inputs for some of the moves are unnecessarily impractical e.g. Eliot and Gen Fu's :3_::P:.

Basicly my complaint with all fighting games is Execution Execution Execution !!!

Oh and Meters and Guages that exceed or limit what you can or can't do are Stupid: I'm looking at you, BlazBlue.
And theres no reason to clutter up the UI: looking at you again, BlazBlue.

Special shout out to Mortal Kombat X for tying Back Dashing to the stamina bar, completely unnecessary !

theclassybutler

DoA's Input leniency does not account for Thumbstick Users, they should fix that.
And some of the inputs for some of the moves are unnecessarily impractical e.g. Eliot and Gen Fu's :3_::P:.

Basicly my complaint with all fighting games is Execution Execution Execution !!!

Oh and Meters and Guages that exceed or limit what you can or can't do are Stupid: I'm looking at you, BlazBlue.
And theres no reason to clutter up the UI: looking at you again, BlazBlue.

Special shout out to Mortal Kombat X for tying Back Dashing to the stamina bar, completely unnecessary !
I don't even like Mortal Kombat X and the reason there are gauges to limit what you can or can't do is to make sure that mechanic doesn't get abused.

Lulu

I don't even like Mortal Kombat X and the reason there are gauges to limit what you can or can't do is to make sure that mechanic doesn't get abused.

Its one thing when its for special attacks and that kind of stuff..... its another thing when its simple things like Back Dashing and Blocking, why would they wana limit that ?

theclassybutler

Its one thing when its for special attacks and that kind of stuff..... its another thing when its simple things like Back Dashing and Blocking, why would they wana limit that ?
Well, you don't want people abusing special barriers and the like, do you?

Bushido

This seems like it could get out of hand very, very quickly. However, I might as well just add some wood.

3. In DOA, you lose more points if you lose to someone lower rank than you in ranked.
This is actually fair. If this happens in any game you deserve to lose more points. It sucks to suck sometimes.

theclassybutler

This seems like it could get out of hand very, very quickly. However, I might as well just add some wood.

This is actually fair. If this happens in any game you deserve to lose more points. It sucks to suck sometimes.
NO, it isn't. I should lose... Maybe 100 points MAX to someone who is more than 3 ranks below me. If it were 2 ranks below, I could see losing 125, 1 rank lower, 150, and at my rank, 200. Anything more than that just seems EXTREMELY unfair.

Bushido

NO, it isn't. I should lose... Maybe 100 points MAX to someone who is more than 3 ranks below me. If it were 2 ranks below, I could see losing 125, 1 rank lower, 150, and at my rank, 200. Anything more than that just seems EXTREMELY unfair.
If you lose to someone who is that much of a lower rank, then, in terms of the system, you shouldn't be that high of a rank. It sucks to suck according to the system.

theclassybutler

If you lose to someone who is that much of a lower rank, then, in terms of the system, you shouldn't be that high of a rank. It sucks to suck according to the system.
YOu may have a point, but I still call bullshit on it. You should NOT be losing ridiculous amounts of points for losing to a much lower rank. I could understand losing to a BUNCH of them in a ROW being cause for being up for demotion, but if you're losing to like two of three every now and then and you STILL are at risk of demotion, THAT'S when it gets extremely un-fucking-fair.

Lulu

Well, you don't want people abusing special barriers and the like, do you?

Why do they have "Special Barriers" Why not a simple standing and crouching Block ? You know, promotes more mix ups instead of "Ima do the samething over and over and eventually it will break".

This is under the assumption Barrier Guarding Stops everything.

theclassybutler

Why do they have "Special Barriers" Why not a simple standing and crouching Block ? You know, promotes more mix ups instead of "Ima do the samething over and over and eventually it will break".

This is under the assumption Barrier Guarding Stops everything.
I get what you're saying, but the tournament scene for BlazBlue seems to not have a problem with it. Have you SEEN the tournament scene for that series?! It's fucking HUGE!

I think what it is, is you have to balance your game's mechanics by way of limiting how much they can be used to keep said mechanics from being abused. I get that it's frustrating, but when your opponent isn't barrier guarding and avoiding damage willy nilly like a fucking crazy person, you'll thank Arc System Works for keeping a complex system of fighting balanced the way that they have.

Lulu

I get what you're saying, but the tournament scene for BlazBlue seems to not have a problem with it. Have you SEEN the tournament scene for that series?! It's fucking HUGE!

I think what it is, is you have to balance your game's mechanics by way of limiting how much they can be used to keep said mechanics from being abused. I get that it's frustrating, but when your opponent isn't barrier guarding and avoiding damage willy nilly like a fucking crazy person, you'll thank Arc System Works for keeping a complex system of fighting balanced the way that they have.

No I won't.... I thank other games for having a simple yet balanced set of options no matter how many times you spam them....... the problem is when you have extremely powerful moves then you need extremely powerful ways to stop them then you need to find a way to communicate to the player how much resources they have to dish out and take powerful moves and what you wind up with is an unintuitive Interface with Meters and Guages and Icons everywhere.... that would be a Nightmare for me.

Thats what I love about Virtua Fighter, you get a Health Bar and a Timer (and a round counter). Its simple.... I can bathe my eyeballs in its elegance and practicality all day..... I wish DoA was like that.... its close... but those messages popping up on the sides of the screen are not cool...

Lulu

I thought there's an option to turn them off. But I can't break out the game to check right now.

You can turn off the Hit Effects but you can't turn off the Hit Statuses...... but you can turn them off when you save the replay and watch it again.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
One complaint I have about DOA is cosmetically speaking: The characters don't sweat enough to me. I wish there was a slider option that let's you adjust how heavy the characters sweat. And the hair is too transparent and wispy, especially on Kasumi. Can they add just a couple more strands of hair so that the hair won't look so short and placid?

Argentus

My gripe is the same as always

Fighting games as a whole, have too much emphasis on execution and combo memorization, not enough on combat finesse and being able to adapt to/fight your opponent. To me that defeats the point of "fighting" in a fighting game. That's why most players are just trying g to spam guaranteed setups they looked up online, and not actually learning how to fight.

There's almost no emphasis on fundamentals and mind games like an actual fight, with DOA being the closest, which is why its my favorite traditional fighter.

TheRealCoxinator

Well when the lower rank is mashing and you lose because bullshit (If this hasn't happened to you then what DoA are you playing) It shouldn't count so much. Same goes for winning against people a higher rank.

Lulu

My gripe is the same as always

Fighting games as a whole, have too much emphasis on execution and combo memorization, not enough on combat finesse and being able to adapt to/fight your opponent. To me that defeats the point of "fighting" in a fighting game. That's why most players are just trying g to spam guaranteed setups they looked up online, and not actually learning how to fight.

There's almost no emphasis on fundamentals and mind games like an actual fight, with DOA being the closest, which is why its my favorite traditional fighter.

PREACH !!!! :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD