Your General Complaints about DoA and Other Fighting Games?

theclassybutler

My gripe is the same as always

Fighting games as a whole, have too much emphasis on execution and combo memorization, not enough on combat finesse and being able to adapt to/fight your opponent. To me that defeats the point of "fighting" in a fighting game. That's why most players are just trying g to spam guaranteed setups they looked up online, and not actually learning how to fight.

There's almost no emphasis on fundamentals and mind games like an actual fight, with DOA being the closest, which is why its my favorite traditional fighter.
Maybe YOU can teach me mind games then. I main Hitomi, but only Hitomi at this point. I want to sub other characters, but it's kind of intimidating at this point.

Lulu

Maybe YOU can teach me mind games then. I main Hitomi, but only Hitomi at this point. I want to sub other characters, but it's kind of intimidating at this point.

Well.... does Hitomi have any moves that force the Opponent to play Mind Games ?
That would be a good place to start.... for example Bass and some of the other grapplers have advantage throws that don't have any guarantees but force the opponent to make one of two choices to avoid taking extra damage. Kokoro, Leifang and Akira have parries and throws that do a similar thing.

theclassybutler

Well.... does Hitomi have any moves that force the Opponent to play Mind Games ?
That would be a good place to start.... for example Bass and some of the other grapplers have advantage throws that don't have any guarantees but force the opponent to make one of two choices to avoid taking extra damage. Kokoro, Leifang and Akira have parries and throws that do a similar thing.
I dunno... What moves would qualify in that regards? I don't know the technical jargon for what moves do, all I know is frame advantage. MInd games? Don't know the first thing about em'. That is why I would need a teacher for stuff like that.

Lulu

I dunno... What moves would qualify in that regards? I don't know the technical jargon for what moves do, all I know is frame advantage. MInd games? Don't know the first thing about em'. That is why I would need a teacher for stuff like that.

Teaching is not my strong suite.... especially since I don't play many human opponents..... if only I knew more about Hitomi. Doesn't she have a High and Mid Punch Parry (:3::h:) ?

theclassybutler

Teaching is not my strong suite.... especially since I don't play many human opponents..... if only I knew more about Hitomi. Doesn't she have a High and Mid Punch Parry (:3::h:) ?
She does, however, again. Not good at understanding jargon in relation to mind games.

Lulu

She does, however, again. Not good at understanding jargon in relation to mind games.

Well.... if you don't know whats going on in your opponents mind you can try conditioning a specific Result that you have a game plan for..... i know Hitomi's punches aren't that quick. what I would do is spam the Parry a bunch of times to bait out something slower from my opponent, like kicks and Low punches, and if I'm lucky... maybe even throws, from there I can try to use Hitomi's punches in the hopes the opponent will be too afraid to punch me back for fear of getting parried....

Basically what you do is look at your options and your opponent's options and imagine what your opponent would do to beat you then do something to counter that.

theclassybutler

Well.... if you don't know whats going on in your opponents mind you can try conditioning a specific Result that you have a game plan for..... i know Hitomi's punches aren't that quick. what I would do is spam the Parry a bunch of times to bait out something slower from my opponent, like kicks and Low punches, and if I'm lucky... maybe even throws, from there I can try to use Hitomi's punches in the hopes the opponent will be too afraid to punch me back for fear of getting parried....

Basically what you do is look at your options and your opponent's options and imagine what your opponent would do to beat you then do something to counter that.

I see.

Argentus

Not even that.

Just need to learn the rhythm of fights, how to crush, bait holds, and utilize mixup. Start with fundamentals then work your way up.

That's more like it. You play the game from both sides of the board at the same time.

For starters....forget setups, guaranteed damage, juggles, resets, all that. You'll come back to it later. Try playing only with single strikes and basic strings. Restrict yourself to fundamentals so you can focus on reading and reacting to opponents. Like a typical trick, is when the opponents at a distance, you run up and stop short, doing an attack that leans back to dodge and punish their attempted counter hit.

That's using fundamentals and basic mind games.

Hitomi, I'm not overly familiar with using her, but I note she has a lot of long reaching strikes you can tale advantage of. She's a very fundamentals heavy character. Lots of straight, solid strikes.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Not even that.

Just need to learn the rhythm of fights, how to crush, bait holds, and utilize mixup. Start with fundamentals then work your way up.

That's more like it. You play the game from both sides of the board at the same time.

For starters....forget setups, guaranteed damage, juggles, resets, all that. You'll come back to it later. Try playing only with single strikes and basic strings. Restrict yourself to fundamentals so you can focus on reading and reacting to opponents. Like a typical trick, is when the opponents at a distance, you run up and stop short, doing an attack that leans back to dodge and punish their attempted counter hit.

That's using fundamentals and basic mind games.

Hitomi, I'm not overly familiar with using her, but I note she has a lot of long reaching strikes you can tale advantage of. She's a very fundamentals heavy character. Lots of straight, solid strikes.
This I great advice right here. You don't really need perfect set-ups and mind games to be great. I myself play totally differently from how other Kasumi players play: I play very bare bones, and play her quite similar to her DOA2 iteration, which was kinda limited. I bait with a couple of moves, and when the opponent opens themselves up for punishment, then that's when I apply some set ups. But I don't use set ups often, I just stick with her basic fundamentals, and let the more advanced stuff come naturally.

theclassybutler

This I great advice right here. You don't really need perfect set-ups and mind games to be great. I myself play totally differently from how other Kasumi players play: I play very bare bones, and play her quite similar to her DOA2 iteration, which was kinda limited. I bait with a couple of moves, and when the opponent opens themselves up for punishment, then that's when I apply some set ups. But I don't use set ups often, I just stick with her basic fundamentals, and let the more advanced stuff come naturally.
I see... Because the way I do things is I ALWAYS look for an opportunity to do my severely damaging combo strings... I guess I can't really do that 24/7, but I will punish when I see an opening. Honestly, I'd rather be taught this stuff one-on-one in an online lobby. Working live with real people actually helps, even in an online dojo, for instance. If you're interested in training, send me a friend request in PSN. However, keep in mind that I have the PS4 version of Last Round.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I see... Because the way I do things is I ALWAYS look for an opportunity to do my severely damaging combo strings... I guess I can't really do that 24/7, but I will punish when I see an opening. Honestly, I'd rather be taught this stuff one-on-one in an online lobby. Working live with real people actually helps, even in an online dojo, for instance. If you're interested in training, send me a friend request in PSN. However, keep in mind that I have the PS4 version of Last Round.
I'll get with you one of these days:) I'm in Seattle and my dad owns a PS4, so within these next 29 days that I'm stuck here, I'll invite you to a lobby. Playing with a buddy will make my time down here much more bearable
But back on topic, your method of play is really effective, because it sounds like you play aggressively with Hitomi, which is the best way to play her but you have to still mix up. I play Kasumi quite passively, meaning I wait for an opening and I poke and throw mostly. As soon as an opening is available, I take advantage of it utilize any advanced set ups I find most useful. But I do admit, I should be playing her alot more aggressively, but bare bones play is a playstyle that suits me and I feel more comfortable with a limited repertoire.

Last edited:

theclassybutler

I'll get with you one of these days:) I'm in Seattle and my dad owns a PS4, so within these next 29 days that I'm stuck here, I'll invite you to a lobby. Playing with a buddy will make my time down here much more bearable
But back on topic, your method of play is really effective, because it sounds like you play aggressively with Hitomi, which is the best way to play her but you have to still mix up. I play Kasumi quite passively, meaning I wait for an opening and I poke and throw mostly. As soon as an opening is available, I take advantage of it utilize any advanced set ups I find most useful. But I do admit, I should be playing her alot more aggressively, but bare bones play is a playstyle that suits me and I feel more comfortable with a limited repertoire.
My combos are actually pretty damn scary when I get the momentum going, so I HAVE that agressiveness going for me. It's my mixups, mind games and defense that need work. I understand Hitomi's offensive tools just fine, but again, it's my mind games and defense that need work. I know a combo where I can use my Power Launcher to get you down to 35% life with just 14 hits and hitting on a counter strike. I can get you down to half life with just ONE combo if I trick and you fall for a move. If my move comes out before yours does, you're fucked, and I will DESTROY you. You counter too early or too late, and I will grab you. If you block too much, I will forward grab you and hit you with a combo.

So, again, my offense is great, even, as one person I played told me, but it's my defense that needs some work. Also, I could use some practice on baiting, and mind games. Because like I said, if the momentum is in my favor, you're done. You might as well just quit.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
My combos are actually pretty damn scary when I get the momentum going, so I HAVE that agressiveness going for me. It's my mixups, mind games and defense that need work. I understand Hitomi's offensive tools just fine, but again, it's my mind games and defense that need work. I know a combo where I can use my Power Launcher to get you down to 35% life with just 14 hits and hitting on a counter strike. I can get you down to half life with just ONE combo if I trick and you fall for a move. If my move comes out before yours does, you're fucked, and I will DESTROY you. You counter too early or too late, and I will grab you. If you block too much, I will forward grab you and hit you with a combo.

So, again, my offense is great, even, as one person I played told me, but it's my defense that needs some work. Also, I could use some practice on baiting, and mind games. Because like I said, if the momentum is in my favor, you're done. You might as well just quit.
You sound like you're doing Hitomi justice! If I may ask, what made you decide to main her, out of all the possible characters in the game?

Argentus

on the other hand, your opponent can use that against you by baiting those combos and punishing the setups. And their punish will often hurt just as much as your 14 hit combo with only one or two hits. It's the overreliance on huge damage that can shoot yourself in the foot.

theclassybutler

on the other hand, your opponent can use that against you by baiting those combos and punishing the setups. And their punish will often hurt just as much as your 14 hit combo with only one or two hits. It's the overreliance on huge damage that can shoot yourself in the foot.
Exactly... And that's why my mind game needs a bit of work... And so does my defense. Like I said, my offense is fine, it's falling for stupid shit that kills me, and not doing enough baiting of my own.

You sound like you're doing Hitomi justice! If I may ask, what made you decide to main her, out of all the possible characters in the game?
She's very easy to understand, offensively and her damage is scary as hell when the momentum goes in her favor. Her combos may not be long, but she hits hard, and her counters hurt like hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lulu

I play my Alpha like that.... this is because shes got short arms and her kicks are not as fast as they look, plus when you know you have something like B.U.R.S.T. in your arsenal then you can take your time. I love playing the Neutral game with Alpha.

My Sarah is the Aggressive one, I've actually put together a strategy to force opponents into a guessing using just one of her Stances, I'm hoping someone can test it out for me and tell me how well it works.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I play my Alpha like that.... this is because shes got short arms and her kicks are not as fast as they look, plus when you know you have something like B.U.R.S.T. in your arsenal then you can take your time. I love playing the Neutral game with Alpha.

My Sarah is the Aggressive one, I've actually put together a strategy to force opponents into a guessing using just one of her Stances, I'm hoping someone can test it out for me and tell me how well it works.
Sounds exciting! I've always considered Sarah an agressive fighter, and her kicks, quick stance changes, and unpredictable nature make her quite a nightmare to fight. Alpha 152 is even more scary, because I know even when she's in neutral, one wrong move can cause you some serious punishment. Sarah and Alpha 152 are definitely not to be underestimated in the right hands.

Lulu

Sounds exciting! I've always considered Sarah an agressive fighter, and her kicks, quick stance changes, and unpredictable nature make her quite a nightmare to fight. Alpha 152 is even more scary, because I know even when she's in neutral, one wrong move can cause you some serious punishment. Sarah and Alpha 152 are definitely not to be underestimated in the right hands.

Yeah I think Alpha is heavy on mind games, her most dangerous moves have to be used on Prediction.... not on Reaction.... well there are two attacks that are very reactionary, and they just so happen to be the fastest moves of their type in the game. Her 2T and her BT 7K. Thats a i3 Frame low throw and an i8 Frame Mid Kick.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD