30s and smallest health should be standard

30s and smallest health should be standard

• Total voters

Raansu

He's wrong. If you increase the lifebar, doesn't it take more successful guesses to win?

ALL fighting games have guessing in neutral, which is fine and how it should be. That's were the strong reads and good play comes into the mix..........The problem with doa4 was you had to play neutral then you had to play stun,stun,stun,stun,stun to get anything meaningful out of it and each stun was a guessing game with heavy risk and little reward. DoA6 despite all its flaws has a REALLY GOOD neutral game and strong rewards for the right guess. One good read of a whiff punishment from Hitomi for example can easily send you into a wall into a guaranteed juggle for a huge chunk of health. Its massively different in that regards from 4 which putting someone into the wall was just more guessing because the wall didn't guarantee anything.

Hazard

Standard Donor
Idk about 30 seconds, but I'm down with the smallest health. We not playing stun game no more so lets take it back to 240 health.

RayBellion

Honestly, why should you get to make so many mistakes? How long do you want to drag out rock-paper-scissors?
I think each FG relies in part on guessing right and punishing wrong reactions ( = guessings, too). If you have fewer guessing opportunities, the game gets more random. Say you can throw a D6 ten times, you have a better chance to recover from a thrown 1 and still get a high score, than if you only have one or two dice throws in total before the game is over.

Who's waiting?
If you know you're opponent will lose a round in a few seconds time due to having received more damage than you you can easily wait for him bringing the fight to you. The leading player doesn't risk anything for waiting, there is absolutely NO punishment for playing this way and the reward is winning the round. Such a situation favors the (health-)leading player who just steps back and let the desperate opponent try to reach him and risk punishment or simply being evaded. Isn't that an advantageous position in DOA?! The shorter the time the higher the incentive for that kind of play (which style I find boring).

No one has given any reason against it other than "no."
Darn! Sorry that I didn't come through to you. I was so sure that my comment in fact did contain more substance than a simple "no" (for example, rephrase "Why increase the relative penalty for one wrong guess" to " You increase the relative penalty height for one wrong guess and I fail to see a merit in that" and you've got my reasons). Ah well, your mileage may vary...

I can understand your desire for wathcing constant, decisive action. But IMHO your proposed cure is worse than the disease. That's not what I like in a fighting game.
Maybe an example makes my point clearer: I like watching chess games on the internet. And watching bullet chess (1min per game and player) is pretty fast and intense - and IMHO mostly garbage. I've seen GMs losing full pieces by pre-moving and being tricked by cheesy in-between-moves. It's a total different game requiring a very different skill set than that required for "slow" chess. I prefer the good, old chess skill set with deep calculations so much more. So I stay away from such fast chess transmissions. If chess would be restricted to bullet or lightning chess I would loose all interest. Even if there are many people enjoying a speedy game of chess and I know some people lack the patience for a 10-minute-think over one single move, the speed requirement changes the game into a different, lesser thing. Just like a soccer game which is restricted to 10min duration is not a real soccer game. I prefer the longer versions (including long DOA tournaments).

WAZAAAAA

nah

make the timer too short and timer scamming is way too strong. As a semi-professional timer scamming enthusiast I did try playing on 30sec and running the clock with health advantage was a way too oppressive strat, even for myself lol
make it too long and timer scamming is too weak, there's way less sense of urgency
make it infinite and you are removing 1 of the only 2 essential win conditions of fighting games (aka 1. deplete opponent's health 2. have more health when the time is up). Also you start getting abusable shit like endless soft-locks, "staying at the arcades forever with just 1 coin", ERP rooms and such lmao

DOA is pretty solid with these settings:
99 for Tag (because 4 health bars!)
60 for Solo (not too long not too short. One minute, straightforward)
30/40 for Survival (100 opponents to fight!)
∞ for Training
pretty smooth and logical sailing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

older DOA's like DOA2U play perfectly fine with lower healths (like 240HP with FT3 rounds 60sec, the DOAO standard) because combo length doesn't put you to sleep there, they're shorter and more straight to the point... go play DOAO, it's great I promise lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

WAZAAAAA

No way, this coming from Chairman Jann Leedong??

88MoaIX.png

"WATATATAAAAAAAAA turtling is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy."
Yes.
KeS2Esw.png

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well realistically it's kind of a bad idea in more modern DOA games because the hitbox situation is just a mess. Huge damage is fun and all, but when there is no sense of fair neutral you don't have the means to make things very consistent. Regrettably, DOA's best way of consistency checks is to bloat the lifebar and give players more time to adapt to hit level guessing.

In OLDER games, the smaller lifebars is great. Throws have virtually no range so despite being unbreakable, players have to run in deep with intent. Reaction based keepout is legitimate there, so huge damage for screwups becomes justified and fun. It wasn't until DOA 3 that we had a lancer style character (Hayate) who could run in with a bullshit hitbox and ruin your life, so rationalized neutral was fairly tenable in the early days.

WAZAAAAA

@grap3fruitman aight homie, we need DOA to go back in time. Faster pace game, HUGE damage that makes you howl, a 30 second timer that forces you to make rapid decisions and lightning-fast restarts to keep the pace up.

These low damage, 60 second games are just so boring now.
don't indulge OP's ravings

you wanna die in 2 hits? Say no more, DOA2U to the rescue, no need to mangle with the in-game settings

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD