A decent controller for DOA5

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I just use the three buttons. I set everything else to off. Throw is the only macro that doesn't make me think any less of the person.

Tenren

lol what I was getting at, new stick user don't think of it as a macro, they see it as a signal button. Up until recently sticks only had 6 buttons. The Japanese standard. Americans like to use the SF 3P&3K so stick makers went to 8button layouts. A lot of pros turn off the 3P&3k shortcuts and just use them as random buttons to make noise. Im still new to the whole hitbox thing so my muscle memory want to pull a trigger rather then push 2 or 3 buttons. Your brain just thinks hey its easier to hit 1 button rather then press 3 at once. So you have to retrain it

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The additional two buttons were used for navigational and multi-layout purposes, I don't think it was because players use the pre-defined macros.

Tenren

I was just using SF as a ref. the 4th button in each row is 3p or 3k for supers. After SF4 came 8 button layouts beacme the norm. Before it was the 6 button layout

D Glock

41ndT5igfDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-...9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339187681&sr=8-1

Look no further than here.

Skilletor

I was just using SF as a ref. the 4th button in each row is 3p or 3k for supers. After SF4 came 8 button layouts beacme the norm. Before it was the 6 button layout

Oh word?

fa31f4fba74a0d4f87d8ec643f0217a5.jpg

49389.jpg

And then I could go on listing the numerous ps2 and/or Xbox sticks that all had 8 buttons (and they had 8 buttons probably because Sony/MS mandated they have 8 buttons to cover every button on a pad), but that would be redundant.

Those buttons are automatically mapped for pad players. It's really hard to hit 3 buttons simultaneously when one is a shoulder button and the other two are face buttons. That's not a problem for a person playing stick. Most people who use sticks probably map the last buttons to no use and/or put plungers in there to get rid of them.

It's not just SF, either. Every button is macro'ed to something in DoA, in Tekken, in Soul Calibur, in Blazblue...in every fighter that has simultaneous inputs, pretty much.

Tenren

Oh word?

And then I could go on listing the numerous ps2 and/or Xbox sticks that all had 8 buttons (and they had 8 buttons probably because Sony/MS mandated they have 8 buttons to cover every button on a pad), but that would be redundant.

Those buttons are automatically mapped for pad players. It's really hard to hit 3 buttons simultaneously when one is a shoulder button and the other two are face buttons. That's not a problem for a person playing stick. Most people who use sticks probably map the last buttons to no use and/or put plungers in there to get rid of them.

It's not just SF, either. Every button is macro'ed to something in DoA, in Tekken, in Soul Calibur, in Blazblue...in every fighter that has simultaneous inputs, pretty much.

I said they didnt become the norm meaning till SF4 it was easier to find 6 button layouts. Most Hori's were 6 buttons. Also thank you captain obvious. Ever one and there mom knows games have macros. I used the most common fighting game as a ref so people would get what Im saying.
The whole point was 6button sticks are all you really need. I guess the second point was its hard to go from pad to stick lol

Skilletor

That hori HRAP up there is from ps2 and is 8 button, as was all of their HRAP controllers, including the HRAP I have on ps3 that came out around the time VF5 came out.

My point is that 6 buttons has NEVER been the norm on normal arcade sticks, unless it was, like the Dreamcast (or any other console, like SNES, I guess, or , which only had 6 buttons. 6 buttons is the exception, not the rule.

I get tired of everybody saying SF is responsible for everything. :p

synce

For DOA4 I actually used a combination of the dpad and thumbstick, it worked out OK but I'm not that serious of a player. For DOA5 it's as simple as buying the PS3 ver

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
been using the QanBa Q4RAF for almost a year now.. I have to say its my favorite stick in my collection (i got quite a few ) ..
pic:
quanba1-Copy.jpg

Its ready dual mod out of the box and is full sanwa ..
has the exact layout of a madcatz ..
and best of all has nice padding at the bottom to keep your legs warm in a cold winter session lol

it has really nice resting room for the hands without the stupid bulging screws you get from a madcatz.

it also has a handle on the top so it can be carried like a suitcase

and the wire compartment is nice and spacious .. fits the wire without having a stupid bulge you get from the madcatz sticks ..

I havent tried yet but It also comes with a clear plexi to add in the artwork of your choice :)
(will probably do that when the full doa5 roster is out :D)

if anyones going stick .. I highly recommend this

JohnS

OK I'm not a stick player I would like very much to stay with using my pad controller.

The pad D Glock recommended seemed nice but it's too large for me. Is there any 'normal' xbox 360 like pad I can buy and get or should I just buy an XBOX D-Pad and replace it in my 360 Pad controller?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's more than replacing the Xbox D-pad into the 360 Pad. That won't solve anything for you.

What is the issue is the padding and suction of the rubber contacts underneath the pad. The 360 rubber contact covers the entire circle. This makes the response stiff as it doesn't bend that easily. You have to take the contact from the Xbox pad and do some minor cutting work to make it fit into the 360 pad. After that it doesn't matter if you use the 360 or XboxS d-pad itself - I personally use the S pad's as corners are easier on the thumb.

But now I use arcade stick, and might move to hitbox for DOA5 to take advantage of the movement system that controllers get an advantage on.

d3v

I might consider getting a hitbox for DOA5 if only because it feels like controller users can have an advantage in movement due to both analog sticks and directional pad available for movement. (i.e. it's easier to back dash cancel and korean back dash on). I can do that with a hit box I imagine.
Don't.

Or at least don't buy one from them. The latest batch has had a ton of build problems. Better to just have a stick customized into one.

I said they didnt become the norm meaning till SF4 it was easier to find 6 button layouts. Most Hori's were 6 buttons. Also thank you captain obvious. Ever one and there mom knows games have macros. I used the most common fighting game as a ref so people would get what Im saying.
The whole point was 6button sticks are all you really need. I guess the second point was its hard to go from pad to stick lol
No, most tournament quality Hori's were 8 buttons ever since the first HRAP. It's only the FS line that used 6-buttons and you generally don't want to use those for tournaments.
been using the QanBa Q4RAF for almost a year now.. I have to say its my favorite stick in my collection (i got quite a few ) ..
pic:
quanba1-Copy.jpg

Its ready dual mod out of the box and is full sanwa ..
has the exact layout of a madcatz ..
and best of all has nice padding at the bottom to keep your legs warm in a cold winter session lol

it has really nice resting room for the hands without the stupid bulging screws you get from a madcatz.

it also has a handle on the top so it can be carried like a suitcase

and the wire compartment is nice and spacious .. fits the wire without having a stupid bulge you get from the madcatz sticks ..

I havent tried yet but It also comes with a clear plexi to add in the artwork of your choice :)
(will probably do that when the full doa5 roster is out :D)

if anyones going stick .. I highly recommend this
You need help with the art? Here's what I did for Jeff.
12+-+1

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Don't.

Or at least don't buy one from them. The latest batch has had a ton of build problems. Better to just have a stick customized into one.

Was just going to have one customized into it, not buying one from them.

d3v

Was just going to have one customized into it, not buying one from them.
Ah good. Last I checked, the screw holes on their plexis weren't aligned right, causing them to crack when you tighten the screws. Then there's the awful way the PCB is mounted (all that glue).

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
You need help with the art? Here's what I did for Jeff.

That looks pretty sweat!

lets wait till we get all the characters and I'll contact you ! :D

I wouldn't want to do a stick now with just half the cast...

If you saw the pic of a stick I made for sf in the (sticks) thread, I'm considering something down the lines of that

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Ah good. Last I checked, the screw holes on their plexis weren't aligned right, causing them to crack when you tighten the screws. Then there's the awful way the PCB is mounted (all that glue).

Do you know where to get the quick disconnects? I have trouble finding the right ones, best I've got so far is from happ.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD